Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJeebs)
    Except they don't.
    Yes they do, that is if you kick up a stink about it. I work in retail and it's exactly the same situation on the net as it is in a shop. If a price is misadvertised, you have to honour it, regardless of who's fault it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tink12)
    exactly what I was going to say. They advertised it at that price, and you entered into an agreement with them to buy it. It's their mistake, now they have to step up and face the consequences. :yes:
    They don't though.
    Companies do not have to sell an item for an incorrectly advertised price.

Yes they do, that is if you kick up a stink about it. I work in retail and it's exactly the same situation on the net as it is in a shop. If a price is misadvertised, you have to honour it, regardless of who's fault it is.
    Doesn't matter if you work in retail. You're still incorrect.
    It may be some shops policy to honour mistakes, but by law, they do not have to.

ReputationRep:
    I've just got a second identical email :confused:
    Then again I did place 2 separate orders.

I kind of assumed "all orders placed with us ... had to be cancelled" covered both

ReputationRep:
    Well, seeing as they don't, you're wrong.

ReputationRep:

No, you don't.

It depends a little on how it's been mispriced, but if it's just a label on a particular item then there is zero legal obligation to sell something.

ReputationRep:
    They only honour it because they want sales, and if they don't honour it, the customer will undoubtedly go to other shops in the future - paying for their little mistake is worth the future revenue they'll probably get off you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    Yeah, so that's why I'm a bit stuck. I've emailed them back saying the money has in fact been taken from my account.

The order is still open.

Wait for the order to be cancelled according to Amazon and then see what's happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    No, you don't.

It depends a little on how it's been mispriced, but if it's just a label on a particular item then there is zero legal obligation to sell something.
    No, not legal. But as I said before, if you complain enough, they generally give in - as they should.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Yeah, so that's why I'm a bit stuck. I've emailed them back saying the money has in fact been taken from my account.

The order is still open.
    i'm in the same situtaion

ReputationRep:

The order is still open.

I am in the same situation as you, except that I haven't got the cancellation email yet. I'm tempted to not email them though and hope that I somehow slip through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Wait for the order to be cancelled according to Amazon and then see what's happened.
    Yeah, but what if it gets cancelled and I don't get my money back? Then I've been screwed out of an ipod and my money :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    No, not legal. But as I said before, if you complain enough, they generally give in - as they should.

In most cases it's a fiver here or there and so not really that important.

These items were about £250 cheaper than they should have been, which is ok for a car, but not for an ipod.

And no, they shouldn't. They don't have to in the slightest, they do purely out of goodwill and only if it's in their interests to do so.

ReputationRep:
    If its just one person or something, then maybe they would. But not when so many people have tried to take advantage of it.
    And if its a genuine mistake, then I don't see why they should.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Yeah, but what if it gets cancelled and I don't get my money back? Then I've been screwed out of an ipod and my money :indiff:
    then you demand a refund or an ipod lol

ReputationRep:

Then you kick up a right fuss. It's not as if you haven't got emails confirming that you placed an order and that that order was later cancelled, which you can compare to bank statements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJeebs)
    Well, seeing as they don't, you're wrong.
    The majority of the time, the reason they don't honour it is because people don't actually try to do anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    It all reminds me of the time I found a CD in WHSmith that was priced at 1p. Was in one the "bargin bins" but the woman at the counter laughed when I just handed over a 1p.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaireC85)
    I am in the same situation as you, except that I haven't got the cancellation email yet. I'm tempted to not email them though and hope that I somehow slip through.

Like I've said before, check your junk/spam folders. It's not amazon sending the emails, it's the third party, so it won't be recognised as safe by your email provider.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    If its just one person or something, then maybe they would. But not when so many people have tried to take advantage of it.
    And if its a genuine mistake, then I don't see why they should.
    It honestly doesn't matter whether it's a genuine mistake or not - the point is it was still advertised. And tbh, the more people who complain, the better. They don't want a whole mob of people coming at them, they have a reputation they want to maintain, so you can always try and do something about it - that's why it is in their interests to listen to their customers' complaints.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I'm going to reply to my cancellation e-mail and complain. Anybody got any ideas of what I should put in?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.