Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    Well, from my experience with physical shops, they have to sell the item for what it has been priced at.
    You're wrong.
    The argos 1p TV is an example, the court case lost. Plus, shops reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)
    You're wrong.
    The argos 1p TV is an example, the court case lost. Plus, shops reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.
    they can refuse even after theve agreed a contract?

somehow i doubt that

ReputationRep:
    I am writing to you regarding my order of the "New Apple iPod Touch 32GB 2nd Generation" (order number
    - XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX). I would like to remind you of Amazon's terms and conditions which state 'For items purchased from third parties in Marketplace, this e-mail confirms the completion of your contract to purchase those items.' This e-mail confirmation is in my possesion and I will send it to you if you deem it to be necessary. I must insist that you complete my order and send me the item which I purchased for the price at which it was advertised and the time of the order (£8.90 including standard delivery charge).

Yours faithfully,

Sandeep Mistry

That's what I sent back to them, still doubt I'll get anything but no harm in trying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    they can refuse even after theve agreed a contract?

somehow i doubt that
    This case lost, live with it. Noones gonna get a £13 ipod.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    I didn't mean to patronise you, I was posting so that other people reading might see what I wrote and act accordingly, ie not post the same questions over and over.

I doubt Amazon has "lost" your money, and I doubt very much that they are "working on the basis that no one has been charged". Their system will certainly accommodate refunds, people cancelling orders, orders not shipping and all the rest of it - they will know all the people awaiting refunds and those who have had them already.

It's not like your money will be lost. As written earlier, the only thing you can do now (assuming you've contacted them already, although probably this isn't even needed) is to sit tight until you get your money back.

I haven't got a jot of sympathy for you if you have to wait a few days for the money to go back in to your account, I mean as if you were going to get the iPod for thirteen quid in the first place...

edit: it seems now you've realised you're not getting your iPod - as have most people in the thread - hurrah!
    what Clements was saying form the very start, was that he was pissed bout having money taking off him, as am i, and the business claiming that we have not been charged, when we have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolatedTreason)
    what Clements was saying form the very start, was that he was pissed bout having money taking off him, as am i, and the business claiming that we have not been charged, when we have.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought payment collection for Marketplace orders is an automatic process of which the business has no control, as it is carried out by Amazon Payments?

Unlike orders with Amazon themselves, where payment is collected only on dispatch, I thought Marketplace payments were initiated straight away, such that the seller receives payment before despatching the item?

In this case it's unfair to blame the company for collecting the payments, although they are wrong to say that payments have not been taken.

I suspect everyone will be receiving refunds within the next week.

ReputationRep:
    Did you really believe they would give away hundreds of iPods for practically nothing?

I must admit I was waiting with baited breath to see if they would come through but I thought it was pretty obvious :rolleyes:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by jordan12)
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought payment collection for Marketplace orders is an automatic process of which the business has no control, as it is carried out by Amazon Payments?

Unlike orders with Amazon themselves, where payment is collected only on dispatch, I thought Marketplace payments were initiated straight away, such that the seller receives payment before despatching the item?

In this case it's unfair to blame the company for collecting the payments, although they are wrong to say that payments have not been taken.

I suspect everyone will be receiving refunds within the next week.
    exactly, we have paid for the item, and the contract has been sealed basically.

i really do not expect an ipod, but i want my money back now.

ReputationRep:
    exactly, we have paid for the item, and the contract has been sealed basically.

i really do not expect an ipod, but i want my money back now.
    I would guess the company will already have issued the refund, but it takes Amazon a few days to process it (I know this because I have had refunds issued through Marketplace before).
    Again, that is no fault of the company selling the item, it is Amazon's payment handling process causing the issues.

The only one mistake, within their control, the company appears to have made is the original pricing error (although they say even that was an Amazon error).
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I would guess the company will already have issued the refund, but it takes Amazon a few days to process it (I know this because I have had refunds issued through Marketplace before).
    Again, that is no fault of the company selling the item, it is Amazon's payment handling process causing the issues.

The only one mistake, within their control, the company appears to have made is the original pricing error (although they say even that was an Amazon error).
    but the company believe that i have not been charged, when in fact, i have.

ReputationRep:
    Could people stop saying Amazon had no right to cancel. They have EVERY right to cancel. Accounts were not charged and payment wasn't held so the contract can be null and void at anytime. The actual seller might have a policy that until items are shipped, there is no legally binding contract.

Face it, you all got excited over something that was never going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    I don't care about waiting for the money to come back into my account. Fat lot £13 would buy me anyway. But it's the principle that it's been taken out and they're telling me I haven't been charged when I clearly have.
    I haven't checked myself but I assumed Amazon acts as a middle man for transactions.

ReputationRep:
    but the company believe that i have not been charged, when in fact, i have.
    Perhaps it's just a mis-understanding of theirs of how the refund system works? They might believe it's instantaneous.

Could be worth getting in contact just to confirm that a refund has been issued.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    recieved my amazon cancellation email, they also claim i have not been charged
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Perhaps it's just a mis-understanding of theirs of how the refund system works? They might believe it's instantaneous.

Could be worth getting in contact just to confirm that a refund has been issued.
    they reckon that they never recieved any money to refund..

ReputationRep:
    lol @ people *****ing about not getting it. What kind of people are you? When someone slips up and makes a mistake, do you pounce on them to get every little penny you can? I ordered two, knowing rightly that there was next to no chance of getting it. Grow up, people.

ReputationRep:
    Lols at people worried about not having their £13 for a few days, versus not caring about some poor guy who's small mistake you want to cost him thousands of pounds.

ReputationRep:
    they reckon that they never recieved any money to refund..
    They probably didn't recieve any money. Bank transfers do not happen the second you click a button.

Have you checked your bank statement online or at the bank? Even though your available balance may have been altered, it does not necessarily mean that the money has left the account, the debit may just be 'pending' and now probably won't go through.

If your actual balance has been altered, contact Amazon, or IT Hardware, or both. Available balance does not always mean actual balance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    Well, from my experience with physical shops, they have to sell the item for what it has been priced at.
    I've been told that's not true, it depends on the shops own policy. I asked my boss and he has too but he's had other shops refuse it, so it may be individual company policies.

My mum bought something reduced from Next but it turned out it wasn't meant to have been reduced, they wouldn't sell it to her for the wrong cheaper price and said they didn't have too.

ReputationRep:
    just rang them, they told me that the funds have only been allocated, and theyve not actually charged my account yet. so i assume the bank will update my account with the extra 13£ :dontknow:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.