Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    How come it's not being covered by the swear filter? :confused: lol
    the swear filter likes me

ReputationRep:
    Okay, hello everyone - I noticed that thread the other day too and decided to purchase one. Like the rest here, I received the email of 'rejection' and would actually now like to file a complaint, seeing as the company (IT Hardware) were so rude and arrogant about the situation when I calmly and politely asked them a few questions.

Anyone with me, at all?

I've spoken extensively to Amazon UK today, been to my local citizens advice bureau, trawled through the office of fair trading,and various other bodies and have built up a case - all of which are actually in our favour.

If any of you lot are with me, it'd be much appreciated if you quoted me and we can build up what 'looks to be a very successful case' (I quote an agent at the bureau I spoke to today.)

In fact, Amazon UK seem to be really strongly on our side, and I'm told that from tommorow, you shall no longer be seeing IT Hardware Solutions on Amazon Marketplace ever again. I told them also that there were hundreds of you on this site who have fallen 'victim' to the same problem and that really scared the manager there - as did the threat of going to the media. :yep:

Okay, anyone with me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP_89)
    Thanks for that. I'm aware of Mistake, it's vague but yes of course we're all aware it was in fact a mistake, so fair enough.
    Read my post. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caledonian)
    Okay, hello everyone - I noticed that thread the other day too and decided to purchase one. Like the rest here, I received the email of 'rejection' and would actually now like to file a complaint, seeing as the company (IT Hardware) were so rude and arrogant about the situation when I calmly and politely asked them a few questions.

Anyone with me, at all?

I've spoken extensively to Amazon UK today, been to my local citizens advice bureau, trawled through the office of fair trading,and various other bodies and have built up a case - all of which are actually in our favour.

If any of you lot are with me, it'd be much appreciated if you quoted me and we can build up what 'looks to be a very successful case' (I quote an agent at the bureau I spoke to today.)

In fact, Amazon UK seem to be really strongly on our side, and I'm told that from tommorow, you shall no longer be seeing IT Hardware Solutions on Amazon Marketplace ever again. I told them also that there were hundreds of you on this site who have fallen 'victim' to the same problem and that really scared the manager there - as did the threat of going to the media. :yep:

Okay, anyone with me?
    I'm with you mate, I sent a complaint e-mail but they haven't got back to me yet. As long as there aren't any legal costs involved I'm in lol.

ReputationRep:

Anyone with me, at all?

Okay, anyone with me?
    Awesome, i ordered 2 iPod Touch's, haven't done anything about it so far with the company, should i? But i'm with you whatever you're doing

ReputationRep:

Anyone with me, at all?

Okay, anyone with me?

Does getting these ipods really mean that much that you went to them lenghs!!!!

ReputationRep:

Anyone with me, at all?

Okay, anyone with me?
    May I ask if you are on this site under a different name and have set up a new account for these purposes or are you a new user? Just curious as the amount of trolls here these days I don't trust anyone

I've sent 2 emails (one on Fri, one today) and received no reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stringer987)
    Does getting these ipods really mean that much that you went to them lenghs!!!!
    Personally i'm not bothered about the ipod-it was obviously mis priced. What bothers me is the fact it has happened with this company previously and also instead of cancelling the orders the same day they waited until now meaning money had been taken out of our available balance meaning we couldn't spend that money. It's the principle of how they've dealt with the issue.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Anyone with me, at all?

Okay, anyone with me?
    Were your iPods not dispatched then, Tango Freakster?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    I'm with you mate, I sent a complaint e-mail but they haven't got back to me yet. As long as there aren't any legal costs involved I'm in lol.
    [NOTE THIS WAS DONE THROUGH MARKETPLACE, HENCE AMAZON'S OWN T&C DO NOT APPLY HERE - I quote from the amazon manager I spoke to today.

Excellent.

Okay, to start off with, let's quickly sum up a few points that support our case. (Yes, there might be a few that give them the right to do this, but we'll find a way to tackle them in a bit).

This is the main bit of their T&C that supports us:

'Please note that for items ordered from Amazon.co.uk this e-mail is only an acknowledgement of receipt of your order and your contract to purchase these items is not complete until we send you an e-mail notifying you that the items have been dispatched to you. For items purchased from third parties in Marketplace, this e-mail confirms the completion of your contract to purchase those items.'

Before telling amazon anything at all about our situation, I asked them what, in terms of a legal contract, does this email entitle us to. They said that the contract for us to be legally obliged to receive the product is only fully confirmed when you both HAVE THIS EMAIL + when they have TAKEN THE MONEY OUT OF YOUR ACCOUNT.

Now, this immediately puts them on shaky ground:

1). The contract isn't at all clear in the email. (http://www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_res...what-is-unfair) ''According to the UTCCRs, a standard term must be expressed in plain and intelligible language. A term is open to challenge if it could put the consumer at a disadvantage because he or she is not clear about its meaning - even if its meaning could be worked out by a lawyer. If there is doubt as to what a term means, the meaning most favourable to the consumer will apply.''

From the email alone, it seems that the contract has been set in place. Nothing is entirely clear to us.

2). For some of us, they have actually debited us of the account balance. For others, their available balance has been debited by £13.40. In both cases, it seems that they have debited our accounts (regardless of whether or not the money has PHYSICALLY been taken out of our accounts). Also note 1) here - shaky terms; terms that put our fair interpretation in favour of whatever might be the reality.

3). Also note this from (http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...r_rights.htm): There are a number of things a trader is not allowed to do when they sell you goods. These include:give a misleading price, either in writing or verbally.

This is exactly what they've done - put up a misleading price, even if it may have been 'by accident' as they admit it to be. In fact, this has been done on several occassions according to their 'feedback'.

Keep the ball rolling guys, in terms of supporting us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StandingOnAir)
    Were your iPods not dispatched then, Tango Freakster?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That's what I thought

I really don't think it's worth challenging as it was an obvious mistake and there are too many laws to protect businesses :yep: plus whoever challenges will just be laughed at. I am mad at the company for doing it multiple times though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leala4628)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That's what I thought

I really don't think it's worth challenging as it was an obvious mistake and there are too many laws to protect businesses :yep: plus whoever challenges will just be laughed at. I am mad at the company for doing it multiple times though...
    An obvious mistake? Who's to define that?

Heck, for all you know, ipods could be selling for £20 - nobody can actually define it as being an 'obvious mistake', even though we may really know it to be.

Laughed at? Heck, no - Amazon UK are themselves outraged by it, and the manager there (yes, I got through to her :yep: ) even insisted that she's totally supporting us and will 'push this all the way through'.

Heck, if you're not up for it, you're not up for it. It doesn't make any difference at all on my behalf. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That's what I thought

Oh, and the multiple times thingy: it's just outrageous imo, seeing as once they cancel the orders, you can't leave feedback to warn the rest at all.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That's what I thought

Indeed. Most times this happens, it's an honest mistake and the company have every right to cancel the order. In this case it's a little more suspicious, as the company seem to be prone to putting up odd prices, so I wonder whether it was less of an honest mistake and more of an attempt to draw attention to the company and their products ... either way, they're claiming it was a mistake (although I'm not sure how corrupt file would cause the price of two related products to be lowered...), so there's not much we can do about it.

It's time to move on. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StandingOnAir)
    Indeed. Most times this happens, it's an honest mistake and the company have every right to cancel the order. In this case it's a little more suspicious, as the company seem to be prone to putting up odd prices, so I wonder whether it was less of an honest mistake and more of an attempt to draw attention to the company and their products ... either way, they're claiming it was a mistake (although I'm not sure how corrupt file would cause the price of two related products to be lowered...), so there's not much we can do about it.

It's time to move on. :p:
    Fair enough. If you feel that way, then that's good for you.

Does anyone want to actually see this through? (As in properly take it up with the OFT/CAB?

If you don't, then that's absolutely fine. If you do, :yy:

ReputationRep:
    An obvious mistake? Who's to define that?

Heck, for all you know, ipods could be selling for £20 - nobody can actually define it as being an 'obvious mistake', even though we may really know it to be.

Laughed at? Heck, no - Amazon UK are themselves outraged by it, and the manager there (yes, I got through to her :yep: ) even insisted that she's totally supporting us and will 'push this all the way through'.

Heck, if you're not up for it, you're not up for it. It doesn't make any difference at all on my behalf. :p:
    Why don't you just stop being such a ******* scrounger and give up? You can't win. It was clearly an obvious mistake so don't talk that crap. If you want an iPod then just buy one. You're wasting your time.

ReputationRep:
    [NOTE THIS WAS DONE THROUGH MARKETPLACE, HENCE AMAZON'S OWN T&C DO NOT APPLY HERE - I quote from the amazon manager I spoke to today.

Excellent.

Okay, to start off with, let's quickly sum up a few points that support our case. (Yes, there might be a few that give them the right to do this, but we'll find a way to tackle them in a bit).

This is the main bit of their T&C that supports us:

'Please note that for items ordered from Amazon.co.uk this e-mail is only an acknowledgement of receipt of your order and your contract to purchase these items is not complete until we send you an e-mail notifying you that the items have been dispatched to you. For items purchased from third parties in Marketplace, this e-mail confirms the completion of your contract to purchase those items.'

Before telling amazon anything at all about our situation, I asked them what, in terms of a legal contract, does this email entitle us to. They said that the contract for us to be legally obliged to receive the product is only fully confirmed when you both HAVE THIS EMAIL + when they have TAKEN THE MONEY OUT OF YOUR ACCOUNT.

Now, this immediately puts them on shaky ground:

1). The contract isn't at all clear in the email. (http://www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_res...what-is-unfair) ''According to the UTCCRs, a standard term must be expressed in plain and intelligible language. A term is open to challenge if it could put the consumer at a disadvantage because he or she is not clear about its meaning - even if its meaning could be worked out by a lawyer. If there is doubt as to what a term means, the meaning most favourable to the consumer will apply.''

From the email alone, it seems that the contract has been set in place. Nothing is entirely clear to us.

2). For some of us, they have actually debited us of the account balance. For others, their available balance has been debited by £13.40. In both cases, it seems that they have debited our accounts (regardless of whether or not the money has PHYSICALLY been taken out of our accounts). Also note 1) here - shaky terms; terms that put our fair interpretation in favour of whatever might be the reality.

3). Also note this from (http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...r_rights.htm): There are a number of things a trader is not allowed to do when they sell you goods. These include:give a misleading price, either in writing or verbally.

This is exactly what they've done - put up a misleading price, even if it may have been 'by accident' as they admit it to be. In fact, this has been done on several occassions according to their 'feedback'.

Keep the ball rolling guys, in terms of supporting us.
    Damn, the whole money being taken out of your account thing gets me. I mean the money was due to be taken out of my account as my available balance was exactly £13.40 than my current balance but my account was not physically charged.

I'll keep looking for loopholes though and see what they say when (or if) they get back to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AugustWestie)
    Why don't you just stop being such a ******* scrounger and give up? You can't win. It was clearly an obvious mistake so don't talk that crap. If you want an iPod then just buy one. You're wasting your time.
    It's not the mistake. It's the total arrogance on behalf of the company that gets me, + they way they've needlessly fooled so many others before us.

And heck, there's every chance that this will ultimately be successful. The law's on my side.

ReputationRep:
    would be cool if you all got them, nice to win something for a change..even if perhaps you havent really been wronged :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AugustWestie)
    Oh, and also - I'd like to see you disassemble post 173.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.