Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone having trouble with SAAS funding watch

ReputationRep:
    I am really fed up! I have had nothing but bureaucratic bungling with my student finance.

In 2008/9 I commenced on an HND. As a disabled student I applied in July 2008 for an assessment for Disabled students allowance. Eventually SAAS arranged for an assessment in January 2009. I received the equipment in March 2009, six weeks before the first year ended.

The assessment itself was a nightmare. The assessor - a man who spoke English with a very thick Continental (I think Swiss) accent, was extremely insensitive, made rather insulting jokes about my situation, and was completely unable to relate to the practical difficulties I experience particulaly surrounding equipment that I use at home. He giggled non stop through the assessment and implied he knew more about my disabilities than I do. He suggested the most inappropriate equipment and could not even use the correct vocabulary or pronunciation and spelling.

When I finally received all the equipment I sent copies of all the receipts to SAAS twice! I then received a threatening letter stating that they were going to pursue me for the money if I did not send them copies of my receipts. I again sent the receipts, and again received a threatening letter! Not until I sent copies of the recorded delivery information together with an harassment act letter to the Chief executive did this problem disappear.

I also had a bad time at the college with a particular lecturer and withdrew from the second year of the HND because of serious abuse problems relating directly to my disability.

I have been offered an unconditional place at University this year. Now SAAS are refusing to fund my first year at University.

I have written to them informing them of the false start clause, where I am allowed to start a new course once after having one year of Higher educuation and abandoning/leaving the course, as the clause provides for this year of funding to be ignored for funding purposes.(It still has to be repaid)

What really annoys me is they have been incredibly obstructive. If I didnt know the rules so well, I would have withdrawn and not pursued higher education. It leaves me with the bad taste in my mouth that they are finding ways to discourage people from applying for funding or deliberately sabotaging funding applications, particularly to Disabled students who are more expensive to fund.

Having to write letters back and forth, reminding them of particular clauses and provisions, leaves me feeling I am doing their jobs for them. Surely if an applications officer reads the entire application and looks at the entire funding history, even the most basic training in the rules would enable them to establish eligibility.

Or are we dealing with badly trained illiterate public servants?

Anyone else having difficulty with Funding bureaucracy?

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.