Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Reasons for taking the morning after pill Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello

For a Health & Social portfolio named 'Research Methods' I have researched into the hypothesis "The morning after pill is a form of abortion".

For this I have been finding out reasons why abortions occur, and why the morning after pill is taken. However, Google isn't as good as I thought (shock horror!).

I am keen to find out why women take the morning after pill, whether its due to the protection not working (for example, condom splitting) or whether its because no protection was used.

Please don't start having a mass go at me for doing this research topic, your thoughts and feelings on the subject are welcome, but everyone is free to feel as they would like.

Remember, the main purpose of this thread is to find out why the morning after pill is used.

NB: The morning after pill is the pill which is taken the morning after sexual intercourse, and can prevent a fertilised egg from embedding itself in the uterus, and can also stop the sperm meeting the egg and being fertilised depending on when is taken.

Any questions, feel free to ask.
    Thanks.
    Disconfigured;Jenny.

ReputationRep:
    I know 3 people who have taken it, 1 because the condom slipped off, 1 because she missed 3 pills, 1 becuase no protection at all was used.

ReputationRep:
    Only time, the girl who had to take was coz the condom split.

ReputationRep:
    I've taken it twice, once because we went too far with no protection, he didn't come without a condom but we were still worried. Second time was after I messed up taking my pill.

(Original post by Disconfigured)
    Hello

For a Health & Social portfolio named 'Research Methods' I have researched into the hypothesis "The morning after pill is a form of abortion".

For this I have been finding out reasons why abortions occur, and why the morning after pill is taken. However, Google isn't as good as I thought (shock horror!).

I am keen to find out why women take the morning after pill, whether its due to the protection not working (for example, condom splitting) or whether its because no protection was used.

Please don't start having a mass go at me for doing this research topic, your thoughts and feelings on the subject are welcome, but everyone is free to feel as they would like.

Remember, the main purpose of this thread is to find out why the morning after pill is used.

NB: The morning after pill is the pill which is taken the morning after sexual intercourse, and can prevent a fertilised egg from embedding itself in the uterus, and can also stop the sperm meeting the egg and being fertilised depending on when is taken.

Any questions, feel free to ask.
    Thanks.
    Disconfigured;Jenny.
    You can't abort something that's not there.

It can take between 30 minutes and 3 days for the sperm to reach/fertilise the egg, and a further few days for it to implant in the womb lining (afaik?) therefore you can't call it an abortion. The MAP is most effective in the 24 hours after intercourse.

The MAP is a last ditch preventative measure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    I've taken it twice, once because we went too far with no protection, he didn't come without a condom but we were still worried. Second time was after I messed up taking my pill.

You can't abort something that's not there.

It can take between 30 minutes and 3 days for the sperm to reach/fertilise the egg, and a further few days for it to implant in the womb lining (afaik?) therefore you can't call it an abortion. The MAP is most effective in the 24 hours after intercourse.

The MAP is a last ditch preventative measure.
    It depends on when you think life begins. I personally believe that as soon as an egg is fertilised, then life has begun. Therefore, if the MAP has been taken and the egg was already fertilised, then it is a form of abortion since your aborting the fertilised egg.

ReputationRep:
    Contraceptive failure (split condoms, forgetting to take pills etc) or simply not using anything are the reasons most people take it I imagine.

Surely it's better to rectify mistakes or accidents in the immediate aftermath of the incident, rather than waiting and hoping that you won't get pregnant and having to go through with an abortion?

ReputationRep:
    I have taken it once a very long time ago, the condom split and I wasn't on the pill aswell at that time so it seemed the best option.

ReputationRep:
    I've taken it once for a condom splitting. One of my friends has taken it twice for the same reason.

ReputationRep:
    Taken it once for condom splitting, we noticed before we were able to do much, but took it as a precaution.

ReputationRep:
    I've taken it once for having unprotected sex within a week of missing an OC pill.

The morning after pill works by stopping egg release and/or changing your womb lining so a fertilised egg cant implant there. Since a fertilised egg can do nothing without a receptive uterus, surely life has not been created in cases where the morning after pill is taken as there is not even potential for life if it works?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smile88egc)
    I've taken it once for having unprotected sex within a week of missing an OC pill.
    My friend went for a morning after pill for that reason... they said they wouldn't give it to her becuase she'd still be protected. Maybe it's not universal practise to decline MAPs if you miss one pill - or are you on a pill with different advise with regard to pill missing?

rape.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.