Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    On the imperial website it says that the term starts 2nd of october. Should freshers actually arrive on that day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B0xxy)
    On the imperial website it says that the term starts 2nd of october. Should freshers actually arrive on that day?
    Term starts Monday 5th, Move in day will generally be either the Friday or Saturday before that (2nd/3rd) normally the Saturday.

You are expected to be there on the Monday, some departments will have required security talks which you are meant to attend to get a proper swipe card. If you are living in halls you'll want to be there anywhere for the first night parties and getting to know everyone.

I'm not sure if the Monday is interesting as last year I fell asleep during the main talk thanks to a wonderful hangover.

ReputationRep:
    I believ its 2nd or 3rd of Oct, whichevr its the saturday

ReputationRep:
    Term starts on the 5th, Freshers must move into the Hall of Residence on the 3rd. If you plan to arrive after the 3rd you must inform your Warden.

When can I move into the Hall of Residence?

On and after 3 October 2009, as the halls will be closed for a week prior to this date. If you need accommodation before this date, please contact [email protected] and we will help you to find suitable short term accommodation.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Do we receive all the relevant information after results though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner_dancer)
    Do we receive all the relevant information after results though?
    I was wondering the same and did a quick search. Apparently, previous Computing freshers received a letter by Jeremy Bradley with timetables, forms and other stuff.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by AccidentProne)
    I was wondering the same and did a quick search. Apparently, previous Computing freshers received a letter by Jeremy Bradley with timetables, forms and other stuff.
    I've had a look at your profile- and we've applied to EXACTLY the same unis.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a look at your profile- and we've applied to EXACTLY the same unis.
    Oh yes, I hadn't noticed.
    And we would have chosen the same insurance if Bristol didn't give me that silly offer. Oh well, it doesn't matter anymore cause I just learnt that I met Imperial's offer.
    I noticed that you want to change to physics... please don't betray us, we need more girls in Computing! :p:

Btw, good luck with your exam results.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by AccidentProne)
    Oh yes, I hadn't noticed.
    And we would have chosen the same insurance if Bristol didn't give me that silly offer. Oh well, it doesn't matter anymore cause I just learnt that I met Imperial's offer.
    I noticed that you want to change to physics... please don't betray us, we need more girls in Computing! :p:

Btw, good luck with your exam results.
    How do you know you've met it?
    And what stupid offer did Bristol give you?
    I'm doubting I met my offer....sigh

But- I know NOTHING about computing, I will fail miserably and everyone will spite me for giving girls in computing a bad name...

ReputationRep:
    How do you know you've met it?
    And what stupid offer did Bristol give you?
    I'm doubting I met my offer....sigh

But- I know NOTHING about computing, I will fail miserably and everyone will spite me for giving girls in computing a bad name...
    I know because italians get their results earlier than british people.
    Bristol asked me for a 98% in my exam, higher than Imperial and Cambridge.

You're quite an optimistic person. lol
    Imperial doesn't require previous experience in computing, I'm sure they would be able to teach you even if you didn't know how to turn a computer on.
    And if got all those offers, then you definitely have the potential to succeed.

ReputationRep:
    While we're on the subject of Computing freshers, I thought you might like to have a look at the timetable for week 1. I can't believe our first "proper" lecture is on the Wednesday on freshers' week!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emc2)
    While we're on the subject of Computing freshers, I thought you might like to have a look at the timetable for week 1. I can't believe our first "proper" lecture is on the Wednesday on freshers' week!
    9 o clock Haskell sessions with Tony Fields! Treasure and love them while you still get them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emc2)
    I guess we can be thankful that there's no maths lectures in the first week. I'm thinking by October I will have forgotten any and all maths I know.

ReputationRep:
    Moving-in day is 3 Oct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sir.jamesgreen)
    9 o clock Haskell sessions with Tony Fields! Treasure and love them while you still get them...
    Oh, I'm sure I will I'm really liking the way he manages to explain some pretty difficult concepts in his book I'm reading, if his writing style is anything to go by I have a feeling he's gonna be an amazing lecturer. He also sounds really passionate about the subject matter, always keen to let the reader know just how brilliant functional programming is

ReputationRep:
    I think the reason they ask people to move in on the saturday is because halls usually prepare tours/talk/welcome event during that weekend so you farmiliarise yourself with the surrounding, once the term starts, you will be soo busy in college that you might not have time to get to know peope who live next door.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emc2)
    Oh, I'm sure I will I'm really liking the way he manages to explain some pretty difficult concepts in his book I'm reading, if his writing style is anything to go by I have a feeling he's gonna be an amazing lecturer. He also sounds really passionate about the subject matter, always keen to let the reader know just how brilliant functional programming is
    He is totally AMAZING! he loves to say "Oh Baby" and on FB, there is even a appreciation club for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Computer_Dude)
    He is totally AMAZING! he loves to say "Oh Baby" and on FB, there is even a appreciation club for him.
    He's a damn good tutor as well, although I don't know if he'll be doing tutor groups this year now that he's head of undergraduate studies...

University open days

1. Imperial College
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.