Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

New look for the Hotrod? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Which look do you prefer for my 'Rod?
    New look - 14" Cosmics on front 15" Slotmags on rear
    33.33%
    Old look - 15" Slotmags all round.
    66.67%

ReputationRep:
    Took the BGT down to the retro show @ the pod yesterday.
    I borrowed a set of cosmics from my mate to go racing with. Unfortunately, the intermitant weather meant I didn't sign on, but I got some good photo's of the day, though.

Anyway, here's a few pics of the new look I've decided to go for.
    It has 15" slotmags on the rear 195/55 profile tyres and the fronts are 14" Cosmic mk6 alloys with 165/35 profile tyres.
    I have to say I *personally* think that the car looks the absolute dog's danglies set up like this.
    A combination of the low profile front tyres, lowered front suspension and big chunky tyres and raised rear suspension give the car a really aggressive raked stance.
    Remember, this is supposed to be a 70's car modified in a 70's style. High arse, low front was the order of the day back then.

This is the car's normal look... rolling on 15" slotmags all round...

I don't mind admitting i'm incredibly bias towards the new look, but which look do you think is the best?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit of a purest so I like to see them 100% genuine, so I say the latter, but it is a nice specimen either way. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    The new look is naff.. Makes it look like a wedge of Cheddar.

It also looks more muscley when it's high at the front. Low front makes it appear weedy.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I prefer the latter, but the new look isn't without its merits.

ReputationRep:
    Curses, the new look is growing on me like a *******.

I'm torn between the two now, discount my original vote for the old look.

ReputationRep:
    Having seen the car, new look all the way but ground clearance could be a "little" issue !

ReputationRep:
    Loads of ground clearance on that yet!

Personally, I'd use the same wheels front and back... and lower the back end to match the front in the first pic... the wheels on the front should be used all round, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Took the BGT down to the retro show @ the pod yesterday.
    I borrowed a set of cosmics from my mate to go racing with. Unfortunately, the intermitant weather meant I didn't sign on, but I got some good photo's of the day, though.
    Hey JC., the car's looking good. I used to be on here as a different username but I remember when you were building it up. Rover motor right? I was pushing you to use Ford or Chevy at the time and some higher rear gears if I remember correctly. How's it running now? What's in it? Did you get a powerglide for it?

Anyway, I think the new ones will be easier to clean. I do like the 70's prostreet-ish stance but is 195 as wide as you can go in the back? Some 225/50's would look sick.

ReputationRep:
    New look: retro ftw

ReputationRep:
    Level stances are FTW!

I also think twice every time you call it a hot rod...

To me, THESE are hotrods

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tofufi)
    Only a VeeDubber could say that

ReputationRep:

To me, THESE are hotrods

Agreed. It's more of a British muscle car, though that is more long-winded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Porscha!)
    Only a VeeDubber could say that
    Ground clearance is overrated anyway

^^ that was with the car empty...

Actually, I'm putting my beetle back up to standard height soon... probably about 6 inches higher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Remember, this is supposed to be a 70's car modified in a 70's style. High arse, low front was the order of the day back then.
    That looks quite odd to me though, so I voted for the old look, but you may as well keep the new look if it's more authentic/typical of cars at that time.

ReputationRep:
    Just realised you want the old rims on the back and new on the front? Whatever you do, have matching style rims all around. They don't have to be the same size obviously, but the same type.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Just realised you want the old rims on the back and new on the front? Whatever you do, have matching style rims all around. They don't have to be the same size obviously, but the same type.
    Agreed, for sure. I prefer the cosmics to the slots, but I've never been a fan of slots... :o:

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever put Weld draglites on an MGB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Has anyone ever put Weld draglites on an MGB?
    Well, that was my alternative choice, but I can't afford them!
    Feel free to photoshop a set in, though!

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a set of Draglites on my 5.0 Mustang. The 3.5" up front an 8.5" in the back (i think). I came down to my car park one morning before school to find my car sitting on concrete blocks; Weld-less. I was pucking fissed.

They're great rims; light as f***. But mine were a ***** to clean. Once they get even a little corroded you need some serious air driven tools and speciality polish (NOT PART STORE RIM/ALLOY POLISH) to clean them up again.

I don't know if you've driven with 3.5" on the front, but it is a little scary the first time you take your car out for a spin once they've been installed. You have to turn a lot more than with normal width wheels, and it can throw you off at first but you get used to it after a couple of turns/bends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Porscha!)
    Having seen the car, new look all the way but ground clearance could be a "little" issue !
    Naw, she's still got 3 inches or so.... The last one was less than 1 1/2 inches!

Personally, I'd use the same wheels front and back... and lower the back end to match the front in the first pic... the wheels on the front should be used all round, IMO.
    I actually think the wheels do match. They are both 5 spoke and the conical centre of the cosmics matches the inverse centre of the mags. OK, I need to get a set of mags without that inner lip, but when I change to chevy 5 stud pattern on the back i'll get an alternative set of mags.

(Original post by SMed)
    Hey JC., the car's looking good. I used to be on here as a different username but I remember when you were building it up. Rover motor right? I was pushing you to use Ford or Chevy at the time and some higher rear gears if I remember correctly. How's it running now? What's in it? Did you get a powerglide for it?

Anyway, I think the new ones will be easier to clean. I do like the 70's prostreet-ish stance but is 195 as wide as you can go in the back? Some 225/50's would look sick.

Cheers fella! I stripped the original car down for a repaint. The body shop went bust and the owner stole my shell... long story... this one is a new car. I'm starting again from scratch.
    I've got a narrow axle to stick on it with an LSD, so I'll be taking the tyres out to 205's. Although, I'd like to pro street her propperly one day and get some 300's under there.

Level stances are FTW!

Naw, I like it with the rear jacked up like that. I'd like to raise it another 2 or 3 inches really. I like the "cartoon" look.

Technically it's a 70's Kustom (yes that is spelled right), but I prefer the term "rod". So that's what I shall refer to it as. :yes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 17, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.