Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I just cannot get my head around why so many Muslims believe that Islam is a religion of peace. Everybody you ask would so simplistically reply when asked this question by saying yes. This is in blatant contradiction to the numerous verses in the Quran and Hadith that state that homosexuals should be killed, adulterers stoned to death, wives beaten if they are disobedient, apostasy within Islam should be punished by death and so on.

What kind of 'peaceful' religion would feature all of the oppressive acts mentioned above. And do not, for once, try to argue that women are not oppressed within Islam. They are very oppressed. Many Muslims point to the fact that Islam was less repressive towards women 1400 years ago than Arab society. Well, surely it should also be, 1400 years later, less repressive than society towards women. It clearly is not. I am not talking about rules regarding things such as headscarves here but the order for husbands to beat their wives for disobedience.

Anyway, I'm done with ranting. Now it's your turn.

ReputationRep:
    The question you actually need to ask is whether Islam is being practiced as a religion of peace by it's adherents?

Is warmth cold?
    Is intelligence stupidity?
    Is death life?

ReputationRep:
    Have you read the Qur'an or any of the Hadith?

If not, brownie point to the media.

ReputationRep:
    No,Islam is not peaceful.
    No religions are.

My opinion-respect it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    The question you actually need to ask is whether Islam is being practiced as a religion of peace by it's adherents?
    No it is not.

Whether the followers of Islam follow the religion peacefully or not is not of my interest. I want a debate over whether the teachings of Islam are peaceful or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Is warmth cold?
    Is intelligence stupidity?
    Is death life?
    Just out of interest, you're not a follower of Zen Buddhism are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRStemporaryusername)
    No it is not.

Whether the followers of Islam follow the religion peacefully or not is not of my interest. I want a debate over whether the teachings of Islam are peaceful or not.
    How do you know what it says in the Qur'an if you've never read it?

Just out of interest, you're not a follower of Zen Buddhism are you?
    Just a follower of Sarcasmism :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Islam teaches peace, but the followers don't necessarily follow that practice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)

Yes I have, actually. I am a Muslim myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    Islam teaches peace, but the followers don't necessarily follow that practice
    Did you not read any of what I have written in the first post of this thread?

ReputationRep:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OTkJdjVLkr...is+violent.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Dude. Islam isn't a dangerous religion.

The media has made you think that Muslims are evil, but they're NOT.

Why is it that when a non-Muslims commits a crime, he is blamed as an individual.
    However, when a Muslim commits a crime, his/her religion is blamed and by extension, the rest of the Muslim community.

Get this idea that Islam is evil out of your head. Because the fact remains. It isn't.

The truth is this. The Religions commit peace, as said in their doctrine. But the actual members do not know how to emulate that peace, and what they do is the complete opposite.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have, actually. I am a Muslim myself
    Right...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NaturalBornKillers)
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OTkJdjVLkr...is+violent.jpg
    That is ONE fanatic saying that. In essence, here;s the bottomline, Muslims shouldn't promote violence for the preservation of Islam. Muslims should provide rational non-violent arguement, as all civilised humans should do when differences arise. That is the way to settle arguements.

Islam doesn't teach that we should harm others who criticise Islam.

We should forgive them, and hope that they do not continue to be so insulting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)

Well to be honest he did get the beating of wives almost correct. I have an English translation of the meanings of the Qur'an. In the section it has about women it says ' As to those women on whose part you fear disloyality and ill conduct, admonish them first, next refuse to share their beds and last beat them lightly: but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means of annoynance for Allah is Most High, Great above you all.' Which although on the face of it seems to permit violence it says it should be a last resort. Though you obviously can't judge a religion on one passage. On the whole Islam is a peaceful religion.
    If anyone wants to check this then its called The Meaning of the Qur'an - translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't taught to hate homosexuals or beat wives, so yeah I'd say it's peaceful from my point of view. Probably different if you look at traditional countries like saudi and such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kironkabir)
    Dude. Islam isn't a dangerous religion.

The media has made you think that Muslims are evil, but they're NOT.

Why is it that when a non-Muslims commits a crime, he is blamed as an individual.
    However, when a Muslim commits a crime, his/her religion is blamed and by extension, the rest of the Muslim community.

Get this idea that Islam is evil out of your head. Because the fact remains. It isn't.

The truth is this. The Religions commit peace, as said in their doctrine. But the actual members do not know how to emulate that peace, and what they do is the complete opposite.
    Ok. The key word here was peaceful - not dangerous. I don't see anything dangerous about Islam. With regards to military warfare, it is not aggressive. What you argue is that Islam's external relations are peaceful, and I think that on the whole they are.

I have not been deceived by the media. Actually, I am a Muslim myself. When it comes to Islam's internal relations, i.e. in dealing with women, adulterers, homosexuals and so on, the facts are clear - Islam is NOT peaceful. It only takes one act to be labeled 'not peaceful'.

ReputationRep:
    poll!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.