Turn on thread page Beta

Is Islam a peaceful religion? watch

Announcements

(Original post by tazarooni89)
    Yes, really. If you think those quotes are telling Muslims to just go round butchering Jews, then you ought to read your own quotes more carefully
    There is indeed a massive difference between describing the jews as a scum race that don't deserve to exist and openly demanding their death :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    hmm while reading this thread this post made me chuckle the most. You were quoting random sentences from the Qu'ran without any context or the sentence before and after. Yet when Muslim quote sentences from the New testament you immediately say "you don't get the context!!!!".

Bit hypocritical, but it's not your fault, no religious person will accept criticism of verses in their holy books, there is always a way to use the wonderful words "context" "parable" or the best sentence I hear "well... I'm not exactly sure what it means, but it can't mean anything violent because Christianity teaches against violence. I am a robot, beep beep beeeep"(they don't say the robot bit though...).

I hope religion fades and dies one day, but at the same time it's very interesting to see how a faith can override a humans own sense of morality.
    People keep telling me Islam is the religion of peace and I cannot see their peaceful ways. Their prophet Mohammed broke literally every Christian sin there is. If you compare him to Jesus it is quite clear which one is the best to follow. I actually evidenced that they were entirely out of context. I read the context of the quotes I made, and further to this correlated those words with the actions of Muslims around the world, and found that interpretation to ring true.

I have already proven within this thread that religiousness and charity are linked. Nobody has proven EVER that religiousness leads to a rise in violence and evil, and I think it would stay the same if there was no relgiion. This means giving would go down but evil would stay constant, so I hope for the worlds sake religion never dies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    There is indeed a massive difference between describing the jews as a scum race that don't deserve to exist and openly demanding their death :awesome:
    Well yes, there is. But incidentally, it doesn't matter, because the Qur'an isn't doing either. (Where does it say that they don't deserve to exist?)

As I said, quote the entire verse rather than just putting "...", because those places provide the proper context.

You'll find that every single one of these cases, the Qur'an is talking about a specific group of Jews, rather than all Jews in general. In most cases, it is referring to those Jews who, while Moses was up on the mountain, started building golden calves and worshipping them instead of God.
    In other cases, it is speaking about Jews who live in Islamic countries but refuse to pay the standard tax.

Like I said before, you should be quoting verses honestly, rather than cutting bits and pieces of verses, mistranslating a few words here and there, in an attempt to mislead.

ReputationRep:
    OP spelled TSR wrong in his username. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    I am not a fan of the Catholic church in any way. They have, and still are, held back Christianity for many centuries to try and benefit and enrich themselves. I just cannot see how anyone can forfeight their right to interpret the bible to someone who professes to be God's messenger on earth. If that was God's will there would be extremely explicity explanation of this in the bible.
    Yet they are a significant (some would say the most important) part of Christianity.

To be honest you are an absolutely ridiculous person; unfathomably ignorant and somebody whose faith seems to be based on hate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    There's a difference between what the Old Testament says and what Christians do.

I implore you to find a single case of that within the last 100 years outside the deep south of the US (which is a third world country as far as i'm concerned).
    So!? they rich countries are only rich because they exploited the poor. Through slavery or theft and other means. How is this even relavent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tzar_Chasm)
    Yet they are a significant (some would say the most important) part of Christianity.

To be honest you are an absolutely ridiculous person; unfathomably ignorant and somebody whose faith seems to be based on hate.
    They are a significant part of its history. History shows us that almost anything, no matter how good, can be hijacked by human greed. I fail to see how my faith is based on hate. And just telling me i'm ridiculous hardly constitutes any kind of argument, retard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rishmiester)
    Actually, I'm sure the most peaceful religion of them all is Jainism. Its more peaceful than any other religion, and is completely peaceful (or the closest you can get to it)
    Even the Central Priciple of Jainism is Ahimsa (Non - Violence), and the motto is "Live and Let Live".
    Jains are strict vegetarians (Buddhists are not, although most are), and the strictest monks even sweep the floor ahead of them on which they are about to walk, to try and avoid crushing small creatures. I mean, how more peaceful can you get??
    you said yourself they weren't COMPLETELY peaceful, every religion has some aspect of offense to it.

what about zionism? no, I don't see Christians seeking to create fear by blowing up buses I do however see innocent people arrested and tortured, a war in a country purely for oil and economic gain and generally people sticking their noses in where they're not wanted, when arguably the most repressive nation of them all saudi arabia, is given a free mandate to do what it likes because of the hypocritical drive for economic gain. While a few thousand miles away people are being slaughtered for more oil in the name of human rights.

Terrorism makes me sick, but so does the knowledge that poeple in power are part of the very things the Western liberal democratic system is meant to abhor.

ReputationRep:
    It certainly is an intolerant religion, so one could argue that this intolerance undermines peace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geminibubblegum)
    you said yourself they weren't COMPLETELY peaceful, every religion has some aspect of offense to it.

what about zionism? no, I don't see Christians seeking to create fear by blowing up buses I do however see innocent people arrested and tortured, a war in a country purely for oil and economic gain and generally people sticking their noses in where they're not wanted, when arguably the most repressive nation of them all saudi arabia, is given a free mandate to do what it likes because of the hypocritical drive for economic gain. While a few thousand miles away people are being slaughtered for more oil in the name of human rights.

Terrorism makes me sick, but so does the knowledge that poeple in power are part of the very things the Western liberal democratic system is meant to abhor.
    Good post :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRStemporaryusername)
    Hi.

I just cannot get my head around why so many Muslims believe that Islam is a religion of peace. Everybody you ask would so simplistically reply when asked this question by saying yes. This is in blatant contradiction to the numerous verses in the Quran and Hadith that state that homosexuals should be killed, adulterers stoned to death, wives beaten if they are disobedient, apostasy within Islam should be punished by death and so on.

What kind of 'peaceful' religion would feature all of the oppressive acts mentioned above. And do not, for once, try to argue that women are not oppressed within Islam. They are very oppressed. Many Muslims point to the fact that Islam was less repressive towards women 1400 years ago than Arab society. Well, surely it should also be, 1400 years later, less repressive than society towards women. It clearly is not. I am not talking about rules regarding things such as headscarves here but the order for husbands to beat their wives for disobedience.

Anyway, I'm done with ranting. Now it's your turn.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewaox...eature=related

ReputationRep:

i please ask you just to be patient and watch the first 10 minutes of this documentary http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewaox...eature=related

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kironkabir)
    Dude. Islam isn't a dangerous religion.

The media has made you think that Muslims are evil, but they're NOT.

Why is it that when a non-Muslims commits a crime, he is blamed as an individual.
    However, when a Muslim commits a crime, his/her religion is blamed and by extension, the rest of the Muslim community.

Get this idea that Islam is evil out of your head. Because the fact remains. It isn't.

The truth is this. The Religions commit peace, as said in their doctrine. But the actual members do not know how to emulate that peace, and what they do is the complete opposite.

++

i am a muslim but i am not bad person REALLY !

ReputationRep:
    There's no such thing as Pacificism in Islam.

ReputationRep:
    retard.
    I win.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I can prove to you within seconds that Christianity does not condone violence. Please could you do the same for me with regards to Islam? Because it seems to be it is fairly easy to come to the conclusion that suicide bombing when you are involved in Jihad is a free pass into heaven.
    Islam teaches that anyone who commits suicide will go to hell. People mis understand the word Jihad. Jihad means to struggle in the way of God. Most Jihad takes place against Satan and his handiwork. Plus if you kill an innocent human being, it is said in the Quran that it is as if though you have killed the whole of humanity. Yes holy war is a form of jihad, but that is in very exceptional circumstances, and there are many conditions, conditions that ignorant people either have not examined or merely ignored. As for husbands beating their wives, you are not allowed to beat them unless you do three things first, and this is only if they don't listen to something your telling them to do that isn't forbidden. First you stop talking to them. Then you stop having sex with them. Then you chide them. But this beating is so small it isn't to cause pain. It is like tapping someone with a toothpick. Men have rights over women, but women have rights over men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewaox...eature=related
    I'm sorry,but I'm not watching something with as bad a pun as 'Reel Bad Arabs-1' because that would be stupid and biased it owuld be like watching any one of the number of videos out there which are like 'the jews/christians/random racial/religous group are blahdibalhdiblah'
    and also because that is the worst pun I have ever seen

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry,but I'm not watching something with as bad a pun as 'Reel Bad Arabs-1' because that would be stupid and biased it owuld be like watching any one of the number of videos out there which are like 'the jews/christians/random racial/religous group are blahdibalhdiblah'
    and also because that is the worst pun I have ever seen
    suit yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRStemporaryusername)
    Hi.

I just cannot get my head around why so many Muslims believe that Islam is a religion of peace. Everybody you ask would so simplistically reply when asked this question by saying yes. This is in blatant contradiction to the numerous verses in the Quran and Hadith that state that homosexuals should be killed, adulterers stoned to death, wives beaten if they are disobedient, apostasy within Islam should be punished by death and so on.

What kind of 'peaceful' religion would feature all of the oppressive acts mentioned above. And do not, for once, try to argue that women are not oppressed within Islam. They are very oppressed. Many Muslims point to the fact that Islam was less repressive towards women 1400 years ago than Arab society. Well, surely it should also be, 1400 years later, less repressive than society towards women. It clearly is not. I am not talking about rules regarding things such as headscarves here but the order for husbands to beat their wives for disobedience.

Anyway, I'm done with ranting. Now it's your turn.

The Answer my friend is blowing in the wind

ReputationRep:
    People keep telling me Islam is the religion of peace and I cannot see their peaceful ways. Their prophet Mohammed broke literally every Christian sin there is. If you compare him to Jesus it is quite clear which one is the best to follow. I actually evidenced that they were entirely out of context. I read the context of the quotes I made, and further to this correlated those words with the actions of Muslims around the world, and found that interpretation to ring true.

I have already proven within this thread that religiousness and charity are linked. Nobody has proven EVER that religiousness leads to a rise in violence and evil, and I think it would stay the same if there was no relgiion. This means giving would go down but evil would stay constant, so I hope for the worlds sake religion never dies.
    The cause of tension between the West and the East is mainly that the East see the West and an immoral unIslamic world, which is true. Although no doubt countries would always have civil disputes if we took all knowledge of religions and the way they each anyone who doesn't follow the same religion as you is wrong, then there would be a lot less tension in the world.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.