Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRStemporaryusername)
    Hi.

I just cannot get my head around why so many Muslims believe that Islam is a religion of peace. Everybody you ask would so simplistically reply when asked this question by saying yes. This is in blatant contradiction to the numerous verses in the Quran and Hadith that state that homosexuals should be killed, adulterers stoned to death, wives beaten if they are disobedient, apostasy within Islam should be punished by death and so on.

What kind of 'peaceful' religion would feature all of the oppressive acts mentioned above. And do not, for once, try to argue that women are not oppressed within Islam. They are very oppressed. Many Muslims point to the fact that Islam was less repressive towards women 1400 years ago than Arab society. Well, surely it should also be, 1400 years later, less repressive than society towards women. It clearly is not. I am not talking about rules regarding things such as headscarves here but the order for husbands to beat their wives for disobedience.

Anyway, I'm done with ranting. Now it's your turn.
    Yes I have, actually. I am a Muslim myself
    Err...you are kind of a hypocrite. If you do not believe Islam teaches peace then simply do not be muslim.
    BTW i think you should read the direct Arabic version of the Quran cos i get the feeling you are reading the english translation, If you were a proper muslim you would know that translations changes the meaning.

You are a weirdo I do not understand why you would attack your own religion on TSR of all places.

If you don't understand your religion go ask a scholar or Imam or something:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashim91)
    Islam teaches that anyone who commits suicide will go to hell. People mis understand the word Jihad. Jihad means to struggle in the way of God. Most Jihad takes place against Satan and his handiwork. Plus if you kill an innocent human being, it is said in the Quran that it is as if though you have killed the whole of humanity. Yes holy war is a form of jihad, but that is in very exceptional circumstances, and there are many conditions, conditions that ignorant people either have not examined or merely ignored. As for husbands beating their wives, you are not allowed to beat them unless you do three things first, and this is only if they don't listen to something your telling them to do that isn't forbidden. First you stop talking to them. Then you stop having sex with them. Then you chide them. But this beating is so small it isn't to cause pain. It is like tapping someone with a toothpick. Men have rights over women, but women have rights over men.
    The point i'm making is that in Islam there is no specific definition for what constitutes a Jihad, so you are no more right to say that 9/11 wasn't a Jihad than they are to say that it was. What may I ask are the conditions for the wives to give the husband a tooth picking?

ReputationRep:
    There are millions of people around the world who seem to think that Islam requires them to oppress women and use violence. If you take the Qu'ran as the source of morality rather than inherent human morals, then their interpretation is as good as a peaceful Muslim's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zehra08)
    ++

i am a muslim but i am not bad person REALLY !
    I know you're not..you're probably a really bubbly person. And let's you remain that way forever and ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NaturalBornKillers)
    Should, could, but they DONT.
    That's the bottom line, most muslims i know are very extreme in their views, and obviously the majority represents the cause.
    It does far more harm than good. Religions are outdated and for the weak minded who need something to cling on to in order to live their life out in hope of something more than death at the end of it all.
    Yep. Defo agree.

I guess it's a testament to the fact that everything in this universe is flawed, and that no-one can stick by a bunch of rules, without somehow losing their minds.

But hey, you can;t blame someone for having a belief, whether someone thinks it to be right or wrong.

This is where the difference of opinion comes into play.

Ahem...When will we humans ever get it right, and will we ever devise a system where we co-exist as one?

Only time will tell.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, not at all. Saying that, all religions aren't.

Seriously though, can you really disagree with Pat Condell?

(Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Is warmth cold?
    Is intelligence stupidity?
    Is death life?
    :woo:

(Original post by Srxjer)
    Nope, not at all. Saying that, all religions aren't.

Seriously though, can you really disagree with Pat Condell?
    One of my favourite personalities .

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8147329.stm

...How dare those women wear trousers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    One of my favourite personalities .
    He's more than idol worthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8147329.stm

...How dare those women wear trousers
    I can't believe those women tried to equal themselves to men! What are they, insane?!

ReputationRep:
    Read the Quaraan - ALL OF IT and you will understand.
    Debating and pulling **** out of the air is not useful for anyone.
    At the end of the day more or less every religion is the same and upholds the same principles, only in the fine technicalities do we get ignorant arguments like this arising.

Love and respect everyone around you.
    Treat your women equally and with respect.
    Do not do ANYTHING to harm yourself and others.

If people do not follow this, do not blame the religion.
    I don't see anyone blaming christianity because of Hitler, yet Islam is blamed because of Bin Laden. Do not believe the media - they are only here to corrupt you. Many of these western countries are ruled by the Masonic orders. They are only here to corrupt your souls and with that your religions. They trick you into believing your religions are false. They bring corruption within religions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)

Here is my favourite quote from the so called religion of peace:

Qur'an (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"
    Your "favourite quote" is from the surah - " the spoils of war". These verses are aimed at those who are enemies of islam and will do anything to wipe out the religion.

Sura - 8 The Spoils of War (Al-Anfaal)
    Order Of Revelation 88, Verses: 75

[8:0] In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

[8:1] They consult you about the spoils of war. Say, "The spoils of war belong to GOD and the messenger." You shall observe GOD, exhort one another to be righteous, and obey GOD and His messenger, if you are believers.

The True Believers

[8:2] The true believers are those whose hearts tremble when GOD is mentioned, and when His revelations are recited to them, their faith is strengthened, and they trust in their Lord.

[8:3] They observe the Contact Prayers (Salat), and from our provisions to them, they give to charity.

[8:4] Such are the true believers. They attain high ranks at their Lord, as well as forgiveness and a generous provision.

The Weak Believers

[8:5] Then your Lord willed that you leave your home, to fulfill a specific plan, some believers became exposed as reluctant believers.

[8:6] They argued with you against the truth, even after everything was explained to them. They acted as if they were being driven to certain death.

[8:7] Recall that GOD promised you victory over a certain group, but you still wanted to face the weaker group. It was GOD's plan to establish the truth with His words, and to defeat the disbelievers.

[8:8] For He has decreed that the truth shall prevail, and the falsehood shall vanish, in spite of the evildoers.

________________________________ ________________________________ _____
    1023 70666

God's Invisible Soldiers

[8:9] Thus, when you implored your Lord to come to the rescue, He responded to you: "I am supporting you with one thousand angels in succession."

Victory Guaranteed for the Believers

[8:10] GOD gave you this good news to strengthen your hearts. Victory comes only from GOD. GOD is Almighty, Most Wise.

[8:11] He caused peaceful slumber to overtake you and pacify you, and He sent down water from the sky to clean you therewith. He protected you from the devil's curse, reassured your hearts and strengthened your foothold.

Lessons from History*

[8:12] Recall that your Lord inspired the angels: "I am with you; so support those who believed. I will throw terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved. You may strike them above the necks, and you may strike even every finger."

[8:13] This is what they have justly incurred by fighting GOD and His messenger. For those who fight against GOD and His messenger, GOD's retribution is severe.

[8:14] This is to punish the disbelievers; they have incurred the retribution of Hell.

[8:15] O you who believe, if you encounter the disbelievers who have mobilized against you, do not turn back and flee.

[8:16] Anyone who turns back on that day, except to carry out a battle plan, or to join his group, has incurred wrath from GOD, and his abode is Hell; what a miserable destiny!

________________________________ ________________________________ _____
    *8:12-16 All wars are governed by the basic rule in 60:8-9.
    [60:8] GOD does not enjoin you from befriending those who do not fight you because of religion, and do not evict you from your homes. You may befriend them and be equitable towards them. GOD loves the equitable.

[60:9] GOD enjoins you only from befriending those who fight you because of religion, evict you from your homes, and band together with others to banish you. You shall not befriend them. Those who befriend them are the transgressors.
    Do some proper research ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IJI147)
    I don't see anyone blaming christianity because of Hitler, yet Islam is blamed because of Bin Laden.
    Unlike Bin Laden, Hitler wasn't motivated by his religion or religious identity.

Do not believe the media - they are only here to corrupt you.
    A bit like religion then.

Many of these western countries are ruled by the Masonic orders.
    Lol.

ReputationRep:
    Qur'an (2:191-193) - "And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution [of Muslims] is worse than slaughter [of non-believers]...and fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah."

Qur'an (3:56) - "As to those who reject faith, I will punish them with terrible agony in this world and in the Hereafter, nor will they have anyone to help."

Qur'an (3:151) - "Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority".

Here is my favourite quote from the so called religion of peace:

Qur'an (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"

If anyone is interested there are over 100 verses that call Muslims to violent war within the Quaran.
    Your interpretation is completely wrong. Those verses which refer to the disbelievers are only intended towards the three disbelievers that were present at the battle. They were worst tyrants during that time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahmed_7)
    Your "favourite quote" is from the surah - " the spoils of war". These verses are aimed at those who are enemies of islam and will do anything to wipe out the religion.

Do some proper research ffs.
    I am just highlighted the verses used by extremist Muslims to validate their position. They do use these, so I can't be that crazy...

ReputationRep:
    I am just highlighted the verses used by extremist Muslims to validate their position. They do use these, so I can't be that crazy...
    Those verses may be used by extremists, but that wasn't the intention of your previous post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahmed_7)
    Those verses may be used by extremists, but that wasn't the intention of your previous post.
    My intention was to highlight the parts of the Quaran that can easily be used to justify extremism, and it seems a rather large percentage of Muslims believe this...Given that most Muslim states behave in that way.

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I just cannot get my head around why so many Muslims believe that Islam is a religion of peace. Everybody you ask would so simplistically reply when asked this question by saying yes. This is in blatant contradiction to the numerous verses in the Quran and Hadith that state that homosexuals should be killed, adulterers stoned to death, wives beaten if they are disobedient, apostasy within Islam should be punished by death and so on.

What kind of 'peaceful' religion would feature all of the oppressive acts mentioned above. And do not, for once, try to argue that women are not oppressed within Islam. They are very oppressed. Many Muslims point to the fact that Islam was less repressive towards women 1400 years ago than Arab society. Well, surely it should also be, 1400 years later, less repressive than society towards women. It clearly is not. I am not talking about rules regarding things such as headscarves here but the order for husbands to beat their wives for disobedience.

Anyway, I'm done with ranting. Now it's your turn.
    You clearly have not understood or analysed the texts of which you quote. I'll put it to you simply... Homesexuals should be killed as it is unnatural. Even if you look in nature you will find that homosexuality does not exist and even if it does than there is a genetic mutation occurs. Also homosexuality does not lead to proceation unless you want your race to die out. Even Chistianity banned homosexuality and still does it is only Protestant that allows it.

Adulterers are only stoned to death if there is 4 CONSTANT witnesses if 1 lies or goes out then they are not condemed in other words they are free to go. Adulterers which are married can only be put to death as it serves as a deterent to others. People which are not married cvan only be whipped IF only there are again 4 witnesses.

Wives CANNOT be beaten to death as you claim. IF YOU READ the verse properly with an understanding then it says ONLY A LIGHT SLAP WHICH CANNOT LEAVE A BRUISE. So many times i see people take this verse out of context. To add to the point there are more cases of domestic violence in the west than the east and who is that by?

Finally women. ISLAM WAS the first religion to give ALL women the right to vote therefore it gave the equality and rights to women first before the west. The west gave the women the right to vote and decent human rights to the west in the 1800's. Also the west didnt give the right to vote as they condemed them to be part of witchcraft. And also the western used to be racist to the Black people remember the slave trade??? Islam gave black people equal status as said by Our prophet Muhammad "No arab is superior to a non-arab and no non-arab is not superior to an arab".

Please dont misquote or manipulate further religions or texts WITHOUT studing them with dire knowledge as it offends believers and makes them look bad and stirs hatred between them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.