ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0_YouKnowIt)
    No,Islam is not peaceful.
    No religions are.

My opinion-respect it.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    I wasn't taught to hate homosexuals or beat wives, so yeah I'd say it's peaceful from my point of view. Probably different if you look at traditional countries like saudi and such.
    DUDE. I am getting this all from the Quran. There are verses that have shocked me. It is very clear in saying that if a woman is disobedient to her husband, he should beat her and confine her to a room until she is obedient. I am not making any of this up. I have found this in the Quran.

ReputationRep:
    You can all claim Islam is peaceful until you are blue in the face but the fact remains that some of the worst places in the world to live are the worst places because they are Islamic states; women get stoned on little evidence, gays are killed, and terrorism is funded and supported. I guess it's just a coincidence that every time Islam has got its mitts on a state it has totally ruined it?

ReputationRep:
    Islam comes from the root word of peace.

Jam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kironkabir)
    That is ONE fanatic saying that. In essence, here;s the bottomline, Muslims shouldn't promote violence for the preservation of Islam. Muslims should provide rational non-violent arguement, as all civilised humans should do when differences arise. That is the way to settle arguements.

Islam doesn't teach that we should harm others who criticise Islam.

We should forgive them, and hope that they do not continue to be so insulting.
    Should, could, but they DONT.
    That's the bottom line, most muslims i know are very extreme in their views, and obviously the majority represents the cause.
    It does far more harm than good. Religions are outdated and for the weak minded who need something to cling on to in order to live their life out in hope of something more than death at the end of it all.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that Islam is a peaceful religion in some situations, and a non-peaceful religion in other situations, depending upon what is appropriate at the time.
    In a society, sometimes a small amount of non-peace is required to promote a large amount of peace in the future. For example, policemen often have to use violent means to arrest a criminal, with the aim of promoting future peace in this manner.

ReputationRep:
    Qur'an (2:191-193) - "And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution [of Muslims] is worse than slaughter [of non-believers]...and fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah."

Qur'an (3:56) - "As to those who reject faith, I will punish them with terrible agony in this world and in the Hereafter, nor will they have anyone to help."

Qur'an (3:151) - "Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority".

Here is my favourite quote from the so called religion of peace:

Qur'an (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"

If anyone is interested there are over 100 verses that call Muslims to violent war within the Quaran.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Is warmth cold?
    Is intelligence stupidity?
    Is death life?
    Is I me?

(Original post by nouvelle_vague)
    Is I me?
    You quite possibly are, but you being yourself isn't a blatant contradiction :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedDragon)
    Well to be honest he did get the beating of wives almost correct. I have an English translation of the meanings of the Qur'an. In the section it has about women it says ' As to those women on whose part you fear disloyality and ill conduct, admonish them first, next refuse to share their beds and last beat them lightly: but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means of annoynance for Allah is Most High, Great above you all.' Which although on the face of it seems to permit violence it says it should be a last resort. Though you obviously can't judge a religion on one passage. On the whole Islam is a peaceful religion.
    If anyone wants to check this then its called The Meaning of the Qur'an - translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali
    Verse 4:34

"Men are (meant to be righteous and kind) guardians of women because God has favored some more than others and because they (i.e. men) spend out of their wealth. (In their turn) righteous women are (meant to be) devoted and to guard what God has (willed to be) guarded even though out of sight (of the husband). As for those (women) on whose part you fear ill-will and nasty conduct, admonish them (first), (next) separate them in beds (and last) beat them. But if they obey you, then seek nothing against them. Behold, God is most high and great. (4:34)"

It is clear what is being said here. If you are suspicious of your wife's conduct, admonish them. If you are still suspicious, beat them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRStemporaryusername)
    DUDE. I am getting this all from the Quran. There are verses that have shocked me. It is very clear in saying that if a woman is disobedient to her husband, he should beat her and confine her to a room until she is obedient. I am not making any of this up. I have found this in the Quran.
    That's why I'm not a blind believer. I'll do things at my own discretion and bare in mind some things in the Quran contradict themselves so in a way I believe you're meant to do things at your own discretion. You're meant to show love and kindness to others yet that clashes completely with beating your wife = wut??

ReputationRep:
    I love how there are countless posts on TSR claiming how violent Islam supposedly is, but everyone seems to neglect the violent history (and present) of Christianity?

ReputationRep:
    The Qur'an doesn't say that.

It says that if your wife is being disobedient of Islam, the first thing that you should do is to speak to her about it, and verbally give her a nudge in the right direction. If she persists in disobedience of Islam, you should not sleep with her. And if she still persists, then you "beat" her.
    Hadiths have clearly explained that by "beating" your wife, you are not supposed to physically hurt her. The point is just to express the gravity of her actions. It is explained in Hadith that this "beating" is essentially a tap on the shoulder with a siwak (basically a toothbrush).

And the purpose of this verse is to tell husbands that they are not allowed to go further than this. You can't just start beating your wife violently because she didn't make you a cup of coffee.

And it certainly doesn't say anything about confining them to rooms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    You quite possibly are, but you being yourself isn't a blatant contradiction :p:
    Haha! Oh mega fail
    I just thought your words were pretty and funny.

ReputationRep:
    I love how there are countless posts on TSR claiming how violent Islam supposedly is, but everyone seems to neglect the violent history (and present) of Christianity?
    I was unaware that Christians are acting as violently as Muslims currently are? Do you have any evidence for this?

Of course there were the crusades throughout the middle ages, but this happened when the Catholic church was in charge and the layman couldn't read. Ever since people have been able to read the bible in their own language the religion has gotten more and more peaceful, whereas Islam has gone the other way.

Haha! Oh mega fail
    I just thought your words were pretty and funny.
    I seem to confuse you a lot :p:

ReputationRep:
    Islam comes from the word "salaam",which in arabic means peace.
    it is considered a peaceful religion,just like all others are(except for satanism),because it teaches a peaceful way of life in which all followers must respect and take care of one another.
    Contrary to the belief of a lot of people that islam is a violent religion,it's really not.
    and for the part about "ordering the execution of Jews",that is complete none sense.just because a crazy extremist like bin laden has a false ideology in which he believes Christians and Jews are infidels,doesn't mean the rest of the devoted muslim's aren't open minded and don't live right next to people of other religions.the biggest example lies in my home country,Pakistan,where although there are few sectarian problems,people live side by side with others of all religions.Islam recieved a notorious face after the 9/11 attacks,which were a big shame for muslims as bin laden destroyed the good message islam held,but that doesnt mean it's a bad religion,at the contrary it's a very important one,peaceful one,and offers not just religious teachings,but a great way of life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Qur'an (2:191-193) - "And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution [of Muslims] is worse than slaughter [of non-believers]...and fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah."

Qur'an (3:56) - "As to those who reject faith, I will punish them with terrible agony in this world and in the Hereafter, nor will they have anyone to help."

Qur'an (3:151) - "Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority".

Here is my favourite quote from the so called religion of peace:

Qur'an (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"

If anyone is interested there are over 100 verses that call Muslims to violent war within the Quaran.
    You silly man/woman/child/transvestite. Verse 3:151 and indeed the whole of the beginning of that chapter is set in the context of a religious war between Muslims and 'unbelievers'. Even I, the Muslim questioning the peacefulness of Islam have no problem with that.

Oh, and if you are a pacifist, why don't you just go to a corner and cry.

Oh, and none of those 100 verses order a Muslim to be the aggressor, if there are 100.

Why don't you properly do your reading.

ReputationRep:
    can i ask, was the qu'ran written by prophets and holy men (like the Bible) or was it written by God? If the former is the case then the Religious books, with respect, may not be 100% the word of God.

I mean i dont know if they had law and order when the first Qu'ran was written. And I'm fairly sure the states of old wouldnt spend tax payers money on maintaining prisons for those who broke the law... So wouldnt execution be viewed as the common penalty... Im just sharing my thoughts

ReputationRep:
    You silly man/woman/child/transvestite. Verse 3:151 and indeed the whole of the beginning of that chapter is set in the context of a religious war between Muslims and 'unbelievers'. Even I, the Muslim questioning the peacefulness of Islam have no problem with that.

Oh, and if you are a pacifist, why don't you just go to a corner and cry.

Oh, and none of those 100 verses order a Muslim to be the aggressor, if there are 100.

Why don't you properly do your reading.
    Well, the historical accounts outside of the Quaran are very different to what the Quaran claims about these wars. Further to this there are verses commanding Muslims to continue chasing retreating enemies. And how do you explain the verse ordering them to remove fingers and heads? That isn't civilised, let alone peaceful.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.