Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    There are 2 kinds of Jihad. Greater Jihad is within yourself, Lesser Jihad is the struggle to turn to whole world Muslim, basically.
    So, in pursuit of lesser Jihad, one could easily be forgiven for thinking that suicide bombing is acceptable? Especially with these two verses:

Qur'an (4:74) - "Let those fight in the way of Allah who sell the life of this world for the other. Whoso fighteth in the way of Allah, be he slain or be he victorious, on him We shall bestow a vast reward."
    Qur'an (9:111) - "Allah hath purchased of the believers their persons and their goods; for theirs (in return) is the garden (of Paradise): they fight in His cause, and slay and are slain: a promise binding on Him in truth, through the Law, the Gospel, and the Qur'an: and who is more faithful to his covenant than Allah? then rejoice in the bargain which ye have concluded: that is the achievement supreme."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taigan)
    "then I believe that the Qu'ran was the work of the devil"
    please explain this as it makes no sense to me... and is quite offensive.
    You Obviously havn't been in tsr long enough to know you get a lot of offensive stuff like that about Islam, But don't take it to the heart.. remember it's others opinion...Even if it is some what ludacris. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayman)
    LOL OF THE MONTH!
    What's so LOL about what I have said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRStemporaryusername)
    However, what about the issue of homosexuals? There is no way in hell that anybody can tell me that homosexuals are what they are by choice. They simply feel more sexually attracted to the same sex than the opposite. I don't understand how one can be punished for this.
    They are not punished for simply being attracted to the same sex, they are punished for engaging in sexual activity with them (which obviously is a choice).

I'm not certain as to exactly why this is punishable (I've never actually seen a reason given in any Hadith), but I have my own guesses.

But the point is that sexual intercourse with your own gender is considered to be sinful. But the punishment is for actually committing the sin (i.e. practicing sodomy) rather than simply feeling a desire to sin (i.e. being homosexual).

Anyway, are you Arabic?
    I have roots in Iran and Afghanistan, but I'm more Indian than anything else really.

ReputationRep:
    We saw celebrations because many Muslims, most probably not the majority but a sizable minority, are a lot like sheep. They follow the teachings of radical extremists like Osama Bin Laden and they are the people you saw celebrating. Most Muslims I know are disgusted by the acts of terrorists.
    Surely this means that they are in no way the religion of peace? If a similar attack was carried out against say Iran, I can assure you that there wouldn't be partying in the streets of America.

ReputationRep:
    We saw celebrations because many Muslims, most probably not the majority but a sizable minority, are a lot like sheep. They follow the teachings of radical extremists like Osama Bin Laden and they are the people you saw celebrating. Most Muslims I know are disgusted by the acts of terrorists.

THANK YOU.
    That is why I find it offensive when someone thinks that I support terrorism and such just because of my religion. Qu'ran actually condemns murder and calls for all Muslims to accept other religions/beliefs and not be violent.

ReputationRep:

THANK YOU.
    That is why I find it offensive when someone thinks that I support terrorism and such just because of my religion. Qu'ran actually condemns murder and calls for all Muslims to accept other religions/beliefs and not be violent.
    I don't presume that you support terrorism just because you are Muslim. There is certainly no calls for acceptance of other religions within the Quaran.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I can't believe being a Muslim you are saying all of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    They are not punished for simply being attracted to the same sex, they are punished for engaging in sexual activity with them (which obviously is a choice).

I'm not certain as to exactly why this is punishable (I've never actually seen a reason given in any Hadith), but I have my own guesses.

But the point is that sexual intercourse with your own gender is considered to be sinful. But the punishment is for actually committing the sin (i.e. practicing sodomy) rather than simply feeling a desire to sin (i.e. being homosexual).

I have roots in Iran and Afghanistan, but I'm more Indian than anything else really.
    Well, it would be extreme to say that you are not allowed to have sex. For a gay person, the only people that they can have sex with is the members of their own sex. They are not aroused by the opposite sex. The only option for them would be to engage in homosexual acts with members of the same sex or abstain from it completely. But it is pretty extreme to order them to abstain - I think even detrimental to mental health and physical health if you have a high libido.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Surely this means that they are in no way the religion of peace? If a similar attack was carried out against say Iran, I can assure you that there wouldn't be partying in the streets of America.
    Except look at the CONDITIONING. Firstly, many Americans would not even be aware of the details of the situation so why would they celebrate? Secondly, that just because some nations had a minority of people celebrating doesn't mean the religion in those nations should be blamed. It is unfair for Muslims to be stereotyped when a minority are acting like this!

ReputationRep:
    So, in pursuit of lesser Jihad, one could easily be forgiven for thinking that suicide bombing is acceptable? Especially with these two verses:

Qur'an (4:74) - "Let those fight in the way of Allah who sell the life of this world for the other. Whoso fighteth in the way of Allah, be he slain or be he victorious, on him We shall bestow a vast reward."
    Qur'an (9:111) - "Allah hath purchased of the believers their persons and their goods; for theirs (in return) is the garden (of Paradise): they fight in His cause, and slay and are slain: a promise binding on Him in truth, through the Law, the Gospel, and the Qur'an: and who is more faithful to his covenant than Allah? then rejoice in the bargain which ye have concluded: that is the achievement supreme."
    I believe lesser Jihad is technically meant to be in 'defence of Islam' (whatever that means), which can involve pre-emptive attacks. So yes.

ReputationRep:
    I just have to say that I find this thread to be quite offensive. I am a Muslim and have lived in Saudi Arabia for most of my life (although I am not Saudi, I am Lebanese). One of the things I have noticed while growing up is how easy it is to stereotype Islam as a religion raising terrorists and violent people. BUT IT IS NOT.

I admit that many Muslims have committed terrible crimes, but it is also true that many Christians, Jews and people of other religions have acted similarly. So why is Islam the religion stained with this reputation?

Islam, Judaism and Christianity are actually very similar.

Firstly, one of the main things that Islam teaches Muslims are the five pillars. These "pillars" are basically 5 things that a human must do to be a good Muslim. I guess you could say it is similar to the 10 commandments in Christianity. These 5 "Pillars" are:

1) Shahada: The belief that there is only one God.
    2) Salat: Praying 5 times a day.
    3) Zakat: Which basically requires Muslims to be charitable and to help those with economic difficulties.
    4) Saum: which involves fasting during Ramadan, and
    5) Hajj: which is a pilgrimage that Muslims must make at least once in their lifetime.

NOWHERE in these basic 5 pillars does Islam teach its followers to be violent. It teaches them to be charitable, emphatic and faithful.

I'll move on to the concept of Jihad which is commonly misunderstood. Unfortunately, many extremists claim that when they commit terrorist acts, they are doing Jihad (which is in the Qu'ran). But they are MISTAKEN. Jihad means "Striving" NOT "Holy War". Holy War actually originated with the European Crusaders during the 11th century.

Also, I will say that many extremists have become this way, not because of Islam, but because of the conditions and situations they were brought up in. A man raised in a constant war will grow up to be belligerent. This is unfortunate but is true and has caused the stereotyping of Muslims to be terrorists, which I find very offensive.

Another fact is that most Muslims are located in Asia and NOT the Middle East. So why are Muslims in the Middle East seen as violent? It is because of the conditioning (wars, political battles) that we live in and NOT what our religion teaches us. I would like to stress this point.

Islam teaches the opposite, it condemns murder, tells Muslims to accept and RESPECT other religions. Also, regarding the treatment of women. In Islam, there is no difference between men and women's relationship to God; they receive identical rewards and punishments for their conduct. The Qu'ran STATES THIS.

Therefore I find arguments against Islam groundless, when I have been raised as a Muslim. I have NOT been taught to hate Jews or people of any other religion EVEN if they disrespect mine. I HAVE been taught to treat women without ANY discrimination and I have been taught to resolve my problems without the use of violence.
    You're post shines light on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, these verses deal with war.

Islam is a complete religion, it recognises that wars are inevitable so we are instructed how to conduct ourselves. We have been given the right to defend ourselves.

You're a Christian right, have you read the Bible. Is it not aggressive.
    The people of the past were also instructed to fight.

And OP, its punishment not violence. Alot of Muslims do behave crazily without following the proper laws.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosePetal)
    Wow, I can't believe being a Muslim you are saying all of this.
    Hah. Yeah. Most people just think I am an atheist or something. I just love the expressions on their faces when I tell them that I am a Muslim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    There are 2 kinds of Jihad. Greater Jihad is within yourself, Lesser Jihad is the struggle to turn to whole world Muslim, basically.
    Do you have some kind of a Hadith or Qur'anic quote to support that?

The Qur'an is full of statements which essentially say that the job of a Muslim is simply to admonish, warn, tell people about Islam etc. but not to actually compel them to become Muslim.

For example:
    "Let there be no compulsion in religion - truth stands out clear from error"
    "It is the same whether you warn them or do not warn them - they will not believe"
    "You are simply a warner, you are not one to manage the affairs of others"

etc.

As far as I've understood it, 'Jihad' simply means to make a great amount of effort to do anything.

For example, there is a Hadith which states that the prophet said to a certain person "The best Jihad (effort) for you would be to look after your parents".

ReputationRep:
    Well, it would be extreme to say that you are not allowed to have sex. For a gay person, the only people that they can have sex with is the members of their own sex. They are not aroused by the opposite sex. The only option for them would be to engage in homosexual acts with members of the same sex or abstain from it completely. But it is pretty extreme to order them to abstain - I think even detrimental to mental health and physical health if you have a high libido.
    You are a Muslim. Therefore you believe. Therefore it does not matter what the society around you dictates; to Islam homosexual acts are wrong. This is God's will. And who are you to question that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalFlash)
    You're post shines light on this thread.
    No it does not. In fact, his post was made without reading my first opening post of the thread. He is the type of person who just reads the title and posts away. The thread is about whether Islam is peaceful or not in it's social 'policy'. Not external 'foreign policy'.

ReputationRep:
    What's so LOL about what I have said.
    why do you follow islam if you think its a religion that is not peaceful?

ReputationRep:
    Except look at the CONDITIONING. Firstly, many Americans would not even be aware of the details of the situation so why would they celebrate? Secondly, that just because some nations had a minority of people celebrating doesn't mean the religion in those nations should be blamed. It is unfair for Muslims to be stereotyped when a minority are acting like this!
    The point is that Islam has a far larger minority who can be viewed as extremist. Far higher than other religions, that is for sure.

ReputationRep:
    I don't presume that you support terrorism just because you are Muslim. There is certainly no calls for acceptance of other religions within the Quaran.

Yes the Qu'ran DOES call for tolerance of other religions!

God, the Most Exalted, said: "Say: We believe in God, and in what has been revealed to us and what was revealed to Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and in (the Books) given to Moses, Jesus, and the Prophets from their Lord: We make no distinction between one and another." [1] As is borne out by this command in the Qur'an, Muslims are to believe in all of the prophets sent by God which were sent to humanity. What this entails is that they are not permitted to show any form of disrespect to any prophet or to the specific religion which he taught to his followers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.