Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected for this reason. :woo: The admissions told me they couldn't decide. The other applicant's supporting documents and mine were both received on the same day but the difference is mine used a 2nd class stamp...

I advise you all never to use 2nd class stamps when applying for postgraduate courses. It shows lack of sincerity, shows you don't really want it that badly.

ReputationRep:
    So what are you a sure thing if you use recorded delivery :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    So the fact you sent your stuff three (or two) earlier and used a 2nd class stamp as it was more economical (9p saved!) is a bad thing compared to rushing to get it in and wasting money with a 1st class stamp?

Also, I doubt the truth in this tale :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: No, mate.

ReputationRep:
    Did you ask for feedback on why your application was unsuccesfull and they said nothing about your grades, dissertations, research potential, research proposal etc etc etc and instead said cheap stamps used? I struggle to believe that.

As long as the academics deciding admissions had all of the documentation recieved by the closing date they dont care whether you sent it by 1st class post, 2nd class post, recorded/special delivery or travelled to the university and handed it in in person!

ReputationRep:
    Ha - sent mine recorded delivery and got accepted... it MUST be true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSpoon2009)
    I got rejected for this reason. :woo: The admissions told me they couldn't decide. The other applicant's supporting documents and mine were both received on the same day but the difference is mine used a 2nd class stamp...
    That sounds pretty unprofessional and possibly illegal, I'd complain to the head of the department.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttx)
    That sounds pretty unprofessional and possibly illegal, I'd complain to the head of the department.
    I'd say that sounds pretty unlikely and possibly made-up...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    I'd say that sounds pretty unlikely and possibly made-up...
    The legality ?

If it was for a job application doing something like that could well be treated as discriminating on the basis of the financial status of the applicant, which is illegal.

I don't know if postgraduate applicants are protected by a similar law, but it wouldn't surprise me.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttx)
    The legality?
    No, the story.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they rejected an otherwise perfectly good applicant because he was sensible enough to send his application well in advance. Also there was only one other applicant for the course who'se application happened to turn up on the same day, and had an almost identical cv. I find this almost as believeable as Robert Kilroy Silk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttx)
    The legality ?

If it was for a job application doing something like that could well be treated as discriminating on the basis of the financial status of the applicant, which is illegal.

I don't know if postgraduate applicants are protected by a similar law, but it wouldn't surprise me.
    Click on the OP's username, and look at all the threads he's started :dry:

:troll:

ReputationRep:
    Trolling on the postgrad forum? For shame.

Troll for sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    Troll for sure
    Yep

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.