The Student Room Group

How to approach sensitive question...?

Basically I have been with my bf for one and a half years and recently I met his parents and stayed the night at his house. I come from another country so he is planning to come stay with me in the summer for a bit and meet mine i.e.: fly over. Now both our parents are Indian (but I don't live in India) and my dad is pretty chilled out for an Indian parent... I mean he knows I have had sex with my bf and I do drink with my dad.

Basically, my mom isn't Indian but my dad is and he is my main worry. I don't know how to approach him about my bf coming to stay over the summer for a week. I really really want this to happen. I am 19 years old btw, and my bf and I plan to get married in the future. I went to stay at my bf's and we had separate rooms but it was totally fine. However I only stayed for a day... and my parents know this. But a week is like... proper pre-engagement behavior lol. I just need advice on how to convince my dad.
Reply 1
Have you considered talking to your mum about this first? Have a chat with her and ask her how she thinks the best way to deal with it would be. She will probably be able to advise you about the best way to bring it up and how to frame it etc.

You say that your dad is relatively chilled out, maybe just sit him down and ask if it would be ok for you boyfriend to come and stay and if so if there are any concerns that he has or any ground rules he would like to bring up now.

You are 19 so hopefully if you are sensible and honest about it you will be able to have an adult conversation about it :smile:
Reply 2
Are you religious? If not just tell them straight off if they ask that you've had sex in the past. It's your life tell your parents that you plan to spend the rest of your life with her and tell them you ought to get to know him then ask if he can stay for a week.
Reply 3
randdom
Have you considered talking to your mum about this first? Have a chat with her and ask her how she thinks the best way to deal with it would be. She will probably be able to advise you about the best way to bring it up and how to frame it etc.

You say that your dad is relatively chilled out, maybe just sit him down and ask if it would be ok for you boyfriend to come and stay and if so if there are any concerns that he has or any ground rules he would like to bring up now.

You are 19 so hopefully if you are sensible and honest about it you will be able to have an adult conversation about it :smile:

I spoke to my mom and she told me not to be afraid and just ask my dad... she herself is ok with it. My dad hopes that one day my bf and I will get married because thats what happened with him and my mom lol (first and last love :P ). I can't sit him down because he is back home and I'm in London. So it will have to be via skype or phone... which makes it more daunting...
Reply 4
Gibb~
Are you religious? If not just tell them straight off if they ask that you've had sex in the past. It's your life tell your parents that you plan to spend the rest of your life with her and tell them you ought to get to know him then ask if he can stay for a week.

They already know we've had sex and aren't religious. I mean my dad is religious but he doesn't care about sex cuz its Hinduism.
Reply 5
Anonymous
I spoke to my mom and she told me not to be afraid and just ask my dad... she herself is ok with it. My dad hopes that one day my bf and I will get married because thats what happened with him and my mom lol (first and last love :P ). I can't sit him down because he is back home and I'm in London. So it will have to be via skype or phone... which makes it more daunting...

Could your mum broach the idea with him first? Or do you feel that it should be done by you?
Reply 6
randdom
Could your mum broach the idea with him first? Or do you feel that it should be done by you?

She says I should do it. Also I think he would appreciate it if I approached him myself... just you know, the idea of my opening my heart up and mustering the courage etc etc.
Reply 7
You dont sound typical indian to me - this is really cool though
Reply 8
Ok I sitll haven't asked and am trying to pluck up the courage. Here is my plan:

1. Tell him I am really serious about my bf
2. Tell him that I have stayed over in my bf's parents' house before
3. Tell my dad I really want him to meet my bf
4. Tell my dad its only for 5-6 days.

I really need more tips. I have spoken to my dad like 3 times today but don;'t have the courage to bring it up!!

Latest

Trending

Trending