Turn on thread page Beta

Gordon Brown is doing a better job to resolve the economic recession than Obama watch

• View Poll Results: Gordon Brown is doing a better job to resolve the economic recession than Obama
    Yes
    56.72%
    No
    43.28%

ReputationRep:
    Do you agree/disagree with this statement?

Discuss

ReputationRep:
    Meh they're both doing exactly the same thing really, nothing too radical. My A level in Economics told me a large fiscal stimulus was the way to go to take the edge off the recession, likewise anyone with even a modicum of economic knowledge knew why the banks had to be saved from collapse (Paulson surprisingly for the secretary of the treasury seemed to lack this basic knowledge with Lehman Bros). I wouldn't really praise Brown for what it's done, it's just been good sensible policy making.

Tbh it's about the only thing that Brown has done right throughout his Premiership, roll on next year's election!

ReputationRep:
    They are both doing pretty much the same thing aren't they?

ReputationRep:
    2 responses, that's pathetic.

I try posting a serious thread, and look what happens, lol.

ReputationRep:
    damn right hes the best vote labour!! real honest food GINSTERS!

ReputationRep:
    Godamn I don't know what either of them are doing. I went into wilkinsons and got a buy one get one free pepsi. Thats hardly shocking recession is it.

ReputationRep:
    Ha Ha Ha Ha

No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadoosh)
    Ha Ha Ha Ha

No
    Why?

It's just strange to me personally that people are criticising Brown so much in the handling of this recession when I can't see him doing any worse than Obama (who is very popular at the moment).

ReputationRep:
    OP: Gordon Brown and Obama are both doing terrible jobs at stimulating the economy, stating Brown is doing better than Obama is essentially asking which one is dumb and which one is dumber.

I'd say Obama is doing a less terrible (not better) job of trying to end the recession, but he's doing all the wrong things just like Brown is, but he is in a better position to make the wrong choices than Brown too.

(Original post by ajp100688)
    My A level in Economics told me a large fiscal stimulus was the way to go to take the edge off the recession.
    Nah, best way to end it is to cut taxes and spending, what Brown is doing now is 'crass Keynesian economics' and simply doesn't work.

Great video explaining why its ineffective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoxDyC7y7PM

ReputationRep:
    The options should be "agree" and "disagree".

That's pretty much all I have to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    Why?

It's just strange to me personally that people are criticising Brown so much in the handling of this recession when I can't see him doing any worse than Obama (who is very popular at the moment).
    I don't bum Obama or anything, it's just I thought it was rather comical that the OP was suggesting that Brown had done actually something worthwhile during the recession.

So far, they both dun buga all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanghew)
    The options should be "agree" and "disagree".

That's pretty much all I have to say.
    Stop being pedantic

ReputationRep:
    better than what the CONservatives are purposing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadoosh)
    I don't bum Obama or anything, it's just I thought it was rather comical that the OP was suggesting that Brown had done actually something worthwhile during the recession.

So far, they both dun buga all.
    Well isn't the best option perhaps not to do anything at all.
    As both have done quite a lot. Perhaps not a lot that is considered to be of any benefit though.

ReputationRep:
    They're both absolutely awful.

ReputationRep:
    Something's got to give.

Unfortunately the greedy banks can't be the ones that have to sacrifice a little.

ReputationRep:
    lol.

ReputationRep:
    Gordon Brown, texture like sun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    Meh they're both doing exactly the same thing really, nothing too radical. My A level in Economics told me a large fiscal stimulus was the way to go to take the edge off the recession, likewise anyone with even a modicum of economic knowledge knew why the banks had to be saved from collapse (Paulson surprisingly for the secretary of the treasury seemed to lack this basic knowledge with Lehman Bros). I wouldn't really praise Brown for what it's done, it's just been good sensible policy making.

Tbh it's about the only thing that Brown has done right throughout his Premiership, roll on next year's election!
    Well, that's just an individual view. Don't believe everything your economics teacher tells you as a hard and fast rule of economics which is blatantly obvious as there are an infinitely greater number of ways to deal with this recession, and every economic problem, which all have their own benefits and pitfalls.

Paulson didn't lack any knowledge and he knows more about every area of economics than we could ever imagine! You may disagree with his decisions as a lot of people do but there is no way that an armature economist (if I can call you that) can call him lacking in any knowledge or economic sense.

What may seem complex but obvious to us may be the first idea dismissed in the mind of people such as Paulson - we're in no position to call such people ignorant based on their actions alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caprylate)
    OP: Gordon Brown and Obama are both doing terrible jobs at stimulating the economy, stating Brown is doing better than Obama is essentially asking which one is dumb and which one is dumber.

I'd say Obama is doing a less terrible (not better) job of trying to end the recession, but he's doing all the wrong things just like Brown is, but he is in a better position to make the wrong choices than Brown too.

Nah, best way to end it is to cut taxes and spending, what Brown is doing now is 'crass Keynesian economics' and simply doesn't work.

Great video explaining why its ineffective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoxDyC7y7PM
    Maybe you should be prime minister.. seeing as you know everything :rolleyes:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.