Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, so for the past 2 years I've been at college, living at home. I've done the first 2 years of my degree there and I'm moving to Sheffield in September to complete my final year.

Basically, I've estimated my accomodation fees for Sheffield at £3900 for the year (42 weeks).

I've applied for Student Finance for the maximum amount, based on my parent's income. The amount they have offered me is £3300! This means before living costs, I'd already be -£600..

What can I do about this? I've heard about something called a hardship fund? I'm unsure what it is and I couldn't find anything on Sheffield Hallam's website about it.

Another thing is, when I applied this year they did not ask me to put in my parent's financial information again - I assume they just took it from last year.. But since then, my parent's circumstances have changed. My Dad has semi-retired to help look after my mum more who is now registered disabled. The problem is, this has just happened and according to the website, they base your assessment on the full previous financial year?

I hope that makes sense - Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jamie

ReputationRep:
    If there's been a change in circumstances I believe you can use a change of circumstances form http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...year/DG_171586

Are there any grants available through your uni?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's pretty obvious they don't just know if your parents have changed circumstances. They are complete *******s with changing it though, but you should get some help.

ReputationRep:
    It says on their website they do offer grants, but I'm unsure if I'd get one or not! I wouldn't actually find out if I'm eligble for the Bursary until January 2010.. http://www.shu.ac.uk/study/ug/money.html

I'll check out the change of circumstances form then If I wanted to talk to somebody about this, would it be the Student Finance call centre I phone up or would i have to arrange a meeting with a local adviser?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamlid)
    It says on their website they do offer grants, but I'm unsure if I'd get one or not! I wouldn't actually find out if I'm eligble for the Bursary until January 2010.. http://www.shu.ac.uk/study/ug/money.html

I'll check out the change of circumstances form then If I wanted to talk to somebody about this, would it be the Student Finance call centre I phone up or would i have to arrange a meeting with a local adviser?

Thanks
    You might as well try for it. Yeh try giving them a call but to be honest I didn't find the call centres very helpful but that was SAAS the Scottish one.

ReputationRep:
    Try phoning them up. Also maybe a part time job ? :/ not meaning for this to cover the cost but mite just help with the strain a lil bit ?
    good luck op

ReputationRep:
    Wow, the guy I talked to was one of the rudest people I've ever spoken to! I started to explain that I'd been offered £3300 but my accomodation costs were more and before giving me a chance to finish, he interrupted "oh well thats how it is. I guess you'll have to get yourself a job!"

Cheeky f*cker..

He eventually told me that they need to just fill in the forms for the 07/08 assessment as well as the change of circumstances form

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.