Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Accidently locked myself out last night, they only gave me one set of keys. Hes charged me 25 pounds to come round and open the door. There's nothing in my contract which mentions this, so is he allowed to do it?

ReputationRep:
    Quite common that this would happen. Should be somewhere in your tenancy agreement however.

ReputationRep:
    That also happens if you rent a council property, ie you get charged for a locksmith to come out , change the locks and give you new keys. Only I think it costs a lot more than £25.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    That also happens if you rent a council property, ie you get charged for a locksmith to come out , change the locks and give you new keys. Only I think it costs a lot more than £25.
    Think this was just for the landlord to come out with a spare set of keys to unlock the door rather than changing the lock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    Think this was just for the landlord to come out with a spare set of keys to unlock the door rather than changing the lock.
    Well that does seem a tad excessive to me, but there must be something in your tenancy agreement somewhere about keys, loss of, being locked out etc.

ReputationRep:
    Well that does seem a tad excessive to me, but there must be something in your tenancy agreement somewhere about keys, loss of, being locked out etc.
    One of my friends was charged £35 for the same thing, it was because it was out of hours. I suppose it's a bit like bank charges, excessive.

ReputationRep:
    Locks and Keys:

a) Not to alter, change or install any locks on any doors or windows in or about the property or have any additional keys made for any locks without the prior written consent (such consent not to be unreasonably witheld) of the Landlord or his Agents.

b) To deliver to the landlord or his agents at the end of the tenancy all keys whether original or additional. In the event that any such keys have been lost, the tenant shall pay to the Landlord on demand reasonable costs incurred by the landlord in replacing the locks to which the lost keys belonged.

Thats it....

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends was charged £35 for the same thing, it was because it was out of hours. I suppose it's a bit like bank charges, excessive.
    I wonder if there are any rules or regulations regarding this type of thing or do landlords just pluck a figure out of the air?.

ReputationRep:
    I had that clause in my tenancy agreement, if they're charging you it, it should be there somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    It wasnt though, he didnt answer his phone last night and he popped round 2 hours ago- so not out of hours....

I posted my contract section on keys/locks above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    It wasnt though, he didnt answer his phone last night and he popped round 2 hours ago- so not out of hours....

I posted my contract section on keys/locks above
    Hmm not too sure, have you paid him yet? If not can you try speaking to him and asking him to justify the charge?

ReputationRep:
    OP why not get a spare set of keys cut and keep them on you at all times, ie in your bag or something. I know thats not strictly allowed, but if the landlord doesnt know it cant hurt him nor can he charge you if you lose the original set.

We"ve had new sets of keys cut and I always have a spare in my bag just in case.

ReputationRep:
    OP why not get a spare set of keys cut and keep them on you at all times, ie in your bag or something. I know thats not strictly allowed, but if the landlord doesnt know it cant hurt him nor can he charge you if you lose the original set.

We"ve had new sets of keys cut and I always have a spare in my bag just in case.
    Yes im thinking of doing that.

Also, he never told me formally until AFTER he had left, by email. But when he was here i thanked him for coming and he muttered "well you're paying 25 pounds for it", which i thought was a joke...... ?!?!

Did you see the other part i quoted above?

ReputationRep:
    Accidently locked myself out last night, they only gave me one set of keys. Hes charged me 25 pounds to come round and open the door. There's nothing in my contract which mentions this, so is he allowed to do it?
    He's under no legal obligation to let you back into to flat if you lock yourself out. So yes he is, because he's offering you a service above and beyond what your contract provides.

You could however hire a professional locksmith instead, which would have been a lot more expensive. Hence your landlord was actually being quite reasonable about it. Although he should have told you before he came around.

After all why should he spend his time let you back in if he's not getting compensated for it ? - he's not your parents, he's running a business and that means he needs to get compensated for extra work he has to do.

ReputationRep:
    I generally don't expect anyone, least of all my landlord, to be at my beck and call - certainly not for free.

ReputationRep:
    Until the house get burgled and you find out that because of the extra keys the insurance won't pay out.

If you're going to get extra keys cut ask your landlord, I've never had a single landlord say "no" as long they knew how many copies there were and who had them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttx)
    He's under no legal obligation to let you back into to flat if you lock yourself out. So yes he is, because he's offering you a service above and beyond what your contract provides.

You could however hire a professional locksmith instead, which would have been a lot more expensive. Hence your landlord was actually being quite reasonable about it. Although he should have told you before he came around.

After all why should he spend his time let you back in if he's not getting compensated for it ? - he's not your parents, he's running a business and that means he needs to get compensated for extra work he has to do.
    I dont disagree, but if 'fixing aerials' is in the contract, why isnt this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I generally don't expect anyone, least of all my landlord, to be at my beck and call - certainly not for free.
    Hes a letting agent, its their job?????

ReputationRep:
    I dont disagree, but if 'fixing aerials' is in the contract, why isnt this?
    You're free to ask for that clause in the contract when you signed it, and the landlord is free to ask for a small increase in rent in exchange.

If you want extra services from a landlord you need to realize that you'll have to pay for them one way or the other (increased rent or one-off fees).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttx)
    You're free to ask for that clause in the contract when you signed it, and the landlord is free to ask for a small increase in rent in exchange.

If you want extra services from a landlord you need to realize that you'll have to pay for them one way or the other (increased rent or one-off fees).
    Its actually a letting agent, not sure if that makes a difference.

So say he didnt charge 25 pounds, but he charged 50 pounds. Whats to stop him taking the biscuit if its not written in a contract? Surely thats what a contract is for?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.