Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think Uni is overrated? Watch

ReputationRep:
    join societies etc early. uni hasnt been great for me - dont expect it to sort out all your problems. you wot be a brand nw person when you start uni. and i dont think anyone at my uni is looking for a life partner tbh.

ReputationRep:
    well it's overrated if you go for a social life alone, you can have a social life without going to uni.

ReputationRep:
    this thread makes me sad

can we maybe get an advertisment at the top which says "uni is nothing like american pie!" or something to that effect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    Going to uni for the social life is a waste of everyone's time.

And no it's not over rated.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    I found it over-rated. But then I did stay in my home city, so it was probably not as exciting. I wish I made more of an effort on the social front. I was really sociable, but then I made my friends circle and got quite lazy on making an effort. I also wiched I made more use of my free time. I'm going back into studying this September and will defo be more aware of putting in effort.

Saying that, I have made a couple of really amazing friends who I love to bits, saved a lot of money for next year and got a degree in a subject that I seriously want a career in. So I guess it all worked out well in the end.

I girl I spoke to at work was saying how Uni was the best time of her life. I really don't it to be the best time of my life, I'm only friggin 22! I'm looking forward to what the future has to offer.

ReputationRep:
    21 isnt old is it?

People arent what I imagined them to be...

I didnt like school at all- I had such great expectations now its just crap.

Life is so not that great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corallie13)
    It is kind of overrated people act like all your dreams will come true when you go to uni but dont believe the hype...'tis fun though , cant deny that.
    Yeah I thought that- look where I am now

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on what you're like as a person. If you're not particularly sociable and don't put yourself out there then uni will probably just be another 3 years of working. I personally wanted my uni experience to be fun. I partied hard and it's been the best time of my life! So no, I don't think it's overrated at all. It's what you make of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurakate1988)
    i agree with many posts here

essentially, uni is a good opportunity to get a lot out of life socially (it was blummin great for me because i spent 1st year in councelling for agorophobia and 2nd year going out and knowing more people than i ever had in my life)
    you over it now? must have been hard :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shmerm)
    I didn't have much of a social life. Then I went to uni, met a load of new people and have absolutely loved the last 3 years. So no, it is not over-rated. Don't go to uni for the sake of it, the degree is still a big portion of it and it's not for everyone, but for me it was brilliant, and my life is so much more enjoyable now than I thought it could ever be 3 years ago.
    This is what I hope to get out of uni.

Of course primarily I'm going to get a degree and to benefit from the skills I'll acquire there but I also hope it'll be a great opportunity to develop my social life and meet lots of new people. At the moment I'm just stuck around the same people I've known for years and my social life sucks most of the time because I can't say I have any close friends that I can rely on to go out with and enjoy myself. I used to be really shy which has sort of had a knock on effect and I think getting away from my home town and meeting new people will enable to me to have a completely fresh start. I hope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutta!)
    Yeah I thought that- look where I am now
    where are you now?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, no and no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    you over it now? must have been hard :p:
    aww yeah thanks twas hard overcoming it at the time but i'd willingly go through it all again because it was an important pivitol point in me life...ironically, when i started going out, saying it was all a bit new to me even at my age was quite a good icenbreaker lol

ReputationRep:
    where are you now?
    Not having a great time at uni. I wish it was good. Im going to make an effort.

ReputationRep:
    For me it is tbh. Alot of it depends on the people you meet....I met alot of ***** in the first year....but then in the second year i met some people who i felt cool with.Depends what kind of person you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutta!)
    Not having a great time at uni. I wish it was good. Im going to make an effort.
    Try and have some fun...

I mean its not been amazing for me but I throw myself into alot of different uni related activities (societies etc.) which keep me busy and

What are the main problems?

ReputationRep:
    I blame hollyoaks.
    Where everyone at that Uni/college seems to know everyone even if we have never seen them meet before.
    Uni is life changing, and the social life is good, but like most things in life it's not what the media makes it out to be.
    God if everything was what the media made it out to be, none of us would make it to uni looking at skins.

ReputationRep:
    P.s I tend to find those who make a huge deal out of the whole social uni experience are those who tended to have less of a social life at home/before uni. Within my experience. For me I have just as much as a social life when I do home as I do at uni, obviously you make new friends and that but it's nothing outstanding.

ReputationRep:
    Try and have some fun...

I mean its not been amazing for me but I throw myself into alot of different uni related activities (societies etc.) which keep me busy and

What are the main problems?
    Im not doing the course i wanted to do. I am still pissed at myself for not getting the grades. I hate it there - i prefer going to my bf uni.

The people are not my kinda people. Everyone I met so far has been disappointing. JUST i want to be happy for these next two years. I dont wana remember how crap these next years are going to be.

I'll be 21 and like a loser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AprilMay88)
    I blame hollyoaks.
    Where everyone at that Uni/college seems to know everyone even if we have never seen them meet before.
    Uni is life changing, and the social life is good, but like most things in life it's not what the media makes it out to be.
    God if everything was what the media made it out to be, none of us would make it to uni looking at skins.
    Defo not like hollyoaks at all, im an avid watcher.

Skins is too druggy and boozy.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.