Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think Uni is overrated? watch

Announcements

to an extent it is. its certainly not the booze infested sex fest its made out to be in films etc. but i suppose it could be. i had a flat mate you was shagging a different girl every night.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's a little overrated, but I didn't go for the social side.
    Too many cafe' au late-communists, if you know what I mean...
    I know what kind of people to stick with, so I do.

ReputationRep:
    Thats fine, in a big place in Manchester for example. Thats pretty reasonable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutta!)
    Im not doing the course i wanted to do. I am still pissed at myself for not getting the grades. I hate it there - i prefer going to my bf uni.

The people are not my kinda people. Everyone I met so far has been disappointing. JUST i want to be happy for these next two years. I dont wana remember how crap these next years are going to be.

I'll be 21 and like a loser.
    Oh dear, you really just have to make the best of it

Try and meet new people?

What course is it? Is it that bad?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's overrated, some people just go to uni with too high expectations. To some extent it comes down to luck how uni will turn out to be for a certain person, and to the other it's obviously about what they make of it. Uni is a great opportunity to meet new people, get a good degree and learn loads, to grow up etc. Some people just seem to forget that real life isn't tv. Life isn't as dramatic as it is on tv.

For me uni was a big change. But that's just because I didn't have much of a social life before at all. So it just seems more life changing. It hasn't been all fun and frolics though, I've had my tough times during the past couple of years.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm no I don't think it is.
    To be honest my life isn't amazingly different at uni compared to at home- obviously I go out more, but I have a group of close friends who I have a laugh with. Obviously living away from home was a big deal but it wasn't as big a transition as I thought especially because of the holidays, I'm home home a lot anyway.
    The aspect I definitely don't think is overrated is, for me, my course. I'm doing speech therapy- without my degree I wouldn't be able to be a speech therapist, and although obviously I was interested in the course before I came, I absolutely love it and I'm so happy to be doing it!

ReputationRep:
    Right, I need to go out more.

Check!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.