Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My dad has seriously gone bonkers today! Watch

(Original post by sarubobo28)
    Wow that's OTT
    I guess you can't really complain though because you're the one who decided to stay awake all night :s
    I didn't DECIDE. I just COULDN'T sleep. I couldn't do anything about it, okay?! >_<
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    sleep deprivation is actually used as a form of torture..

but, its 24 hours, its nothing. its a piece of piss in fact. just grow up a bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisLincoln)
    Boohoo you havent slept for one night, jeesus.

Your dads a legend!

PS. My sig>> This Thread.
    Kindly **** off

Oh please, you want bonkers?
    When I was 9 I hid all the knives in the house because I thought my dad (who'd pretty much mentally broken down and gone crazy) was going to stab someone.
    I barricaded myself in my room with the knives and tried to lock the door by using ******* sellotape and blue tack.

Yeah, that's bonkers.

Or the time he hit me on the leg so I hit him with a wine bottle.

*sigh*

When he doesn't have these blackouts, he is the most normal, kindest amazing dad in the World though, and I love him to pieces.

ReputationRep:
    MAYBE JUST MAYBE that whilst you were watching house you forgot that your parents were trying to sleep and maybe just maybe the noise levels were high enough for them to not get any sleep. Therefore, you were not allowing your parents to sleep and so your dad got pissed off because now he did not get any sleep.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's a bit of a custom in H&R for some people to try turn everything on the OP so as to somehow make it their fault, but seriously how on earth can you justify someone's parent putting them through sleep deprivation simply because they could not get to sleep at the "right time"?

If this was a 5-year old we were talking about then I could possibly understand the parent trying to make them realise they need to sleep, but a 17-year old should be able to make their own decisions about their sleeping patterns for goodness sake!

Sleep deprivation is a form of torture. Admittedly, it's usually carried out for far longer periods where torture is the prime objective, but that does not justify the actions of the parent here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am a guy by the way.
    Lol for some reason I thought you were a girl lol. Anyway, just go to sleep, what's he going to do about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordan12)
    I know it's a bit of a custom in H&R for some people to try turn everything on the OP so as to somehow make it their fault, but seriously how on earth can you justify someone's parent putting them through sleep deprivation simply because they could not get to sleep at the "right time"?

If this was a 5-year old we were talking about then I could possibly understand the parent trying to make them realise they need to sleep, but a 17-year old should be able to make their own decisions about their sleeping patterns for goodness sake!

Sleep deprivation is a form of torture. Admittedly, it's usually carried out for far longer periods where torture is the prime objective, but that does not justify the actions of the parent here.

OH grow up. Torture... one day of sleep deprivation in no way, shape or form constitutes torture. The OP is 17; he's still under his parents custody/house.
    Lets not use hyperbole.

I didn't DECIDE. I just COULDN'T sleep. I couldn't do anything about it, okay?! >_<
    Have you tried telling him that?

I'm sure if he understands that what's at fault is your sleeping pattern (awake at night, sleep during the day), then he'll be a little more understanding.

If you are having difficulties sleeping, perhaps he has done you a favour? If you are still tired, you should try and stay awake until normal sleeping time, and then your sleeping pattern should be back to normal?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and to the people saying call the police; are you all that stupid?

"999... my dad made me go to work with him and study. And then... he tried to make me play golf with him!"

Hardly Baby P now is it?

ReputationRep:
    Just try and not make a habbit of staying up so late, as your sleeping pattern will be ****** when you go to sleep in the afternoon, Yes your dad is very harsh for doing that and especially making you study during the summer :P unlucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    OH grow up. Torture... one day of sleep deprivation in no way, shape or form constitutes torture. The OP is 17; he's still under his parents custody/house.
    Lets not use hyperbole.
    I did make that clear, actually, that it occurs for much longer when it is actually used for the purposes of torture.

I was, however, trying to make the point that is downright irresponsible of a parent to put their son through 24 hours or more of lack of sleep, when they obviously want to go to bed.

ReputationRep:

play that to him real fukin loud

ReputationRep:
    Basically, he didn't want me to sleep - he wanted to teach me a 'lesson'. I managed to hold my self together for a while but then my mind seriously started to mess up. I could hardly keep my eyes open and began to have these suicidal thoughts. He actually had me wishing for death!
    Ahahahhaahah.

Grow some balls mate. Sounds like something my dad would do, but think about it logically, sleeping in till about 2PM isn't exactly making you very productive is it?

(Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    Hi,

If it isn't too distressing, can I ask what he has beaten you up for previously? Is it for the same thing?

If he is a 'casual beater' and likes to cause arguments for the sake of it, then I am wholly sympathetic towards you. However, if he is merely pointing out (albeit unconventionally) that you ought to sleep during the night, and catchup on TV during the day - then I don't see the harm in that.

You mentioned he took you to the office? Do you have a job at all? Perhaps it's a subtle hint to you, that you should (like him) sleep during the night and either work or study during the day. It may seem unfair - especially with it being your holidays. But he doesn't seem to be unreasonable.
    Yes he has. Loads of times. I really don't want to bring all that up, but let's just say I won't be surprised if he came to me with a belt in his hand.

As for the 'job' thing. I just so happen to live in a third world country. Nobody employs college students over here.

I did make that clear, actually, that it occurs for much longer when it is actually used for the purposes of torture.

I was, however, trying to make the point that is downright irresponsible of a parent to put their son through 24 hours or more of lack of sleep, when they obviously want to go to bed.
    It may be irresponsible, but if it is going to change his sleeping pattern to conform to the normal sane human level, then surely that's a good thing?

ReputationRep:
    [B]I did make that clear, actually, that it occurs for much longer when it is actually used for the purposes of torture
    So why bother mentioning it at all then?

It's not irresponsible, at all. If anything it's helpful; he's fixing him sons sleeping habits. He'll be shattered tonight, and wake up at a decent hour tomorrow morning.

(Original post by motiv3)
    MAYBE JUST MAYBE that whilst you were watching house you forgot that your parents were trying to sleep and maybe just maybe the noise levels were high enough for them to not get any sleep. Therefore, you were not allowing your parents to sleep and so your dad got pissed off because now he did not get any sleep.
    That can't be possible. I was using ear phones.

By the way, I am not feeling sleepy at all now. Just slightly tired. Is it a good thing or has some section of my brain shut down or something? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    How did he know that you hadn't been asleep?

^^that might be a stupid question actually.

It does seem a bit OTT. have you tried talking to him? Show him you're mature and can handle the situation instead or taking a childish route like he is IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    So... psychological abuse doesnt exist anymore then?
    Stop being a pussy..?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.