Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Yes he has. Loads of times. I really don't want to bring all that up, but let's just say I won't be surprised if he came to me with a belt in his hand.

As for the 'job' thing. I just so happen to live in a third world country. Nobody employs college students over here.
    Oh okay You don't need to go any further if it is depressing. :grouphugs:

Unfortunately, some fathers believe they have this 'God given' right to dominate and control everyone they know.

I assumed you were from the UK, I guess things are different elsewhere. But that said, situations as yours aren't unheard of in the UK either.

I guess what you need to do, is reassert your own control and dominance. I knew someone who's father would regularly beat them, and it wasn't until they finally stood up for themselves that he finally gave in - and actually started treating him like a grown man.

I'm not saying give him beatings. Because that wouldn't help anyone (may help you channel some negative energy though). But just tell him, that he's not the boss of you. Something along those lines.

Whatever you do, please, don't do anything to jeopardize your own life.

ReputationRep:
    Does dad have to choke a *****?

ReputationRep:
    After reading this thread I feel sleepy for some reason. Is it just me or is someone else the same?

Well, go lock yourself in the loo and go to sleep there. Your dad will only think you are having a massive **** or something and he won't annoy you. I mean if you aren't allowed to excrete then that's a disaster. That's what I would do if my mum and dad annoyed me about sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    So why bother mentioning it at all then?

It's not irresponsible, at all. If anything it's helpful; he's fixing him sons sleeping habits. He'll be shattered tonight, and wake up at a decent hour tomorrow morning.
    Ok, I apologise for bringing that bit up.

However, would you, at 17 years old, appreciate someone 'teaching' you how to sleep, and keeping you awake when you are obviously very tired?

It's not like OP didn't even try to get some sleep that night.

He realised he wasn't going to be able to sleep and decided to get up.
    One of the worst feelings is laying in bed attempting for hours to get to sleep without any success.
    The longer you lay there, usually thinking about the fact you can't sleep, makes it less and less likely that you will actually manage it. In those cases the best thing to do is get up and find something to do, and go back to bed once you feel tired enough to easily fall asleep.

After going through a restless night like that, the last thing I would want is my dad behaving in that way.

you say you've been abused before? It must have been a problem before? how come its only been worth mentioning on here now?

I don't mean that to sounds offensive in anyway, I just couldn't think of a better way to put it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordan12)
    Ok, I apologise for bringing that bit up.

However, would you, at 17 years old, appreciate someone 'teaching' you how to sleep, and keeping you awake when you are obviously very tired?
    Given that I often suffer from insomnia, and have been sat up all night doing random ****, yes, I would be incredibly grateful for someone making sure I stayed up and got into a decent sleep pattern.

Case in point - I stayed up for over 24 (it would've been about 36 when I eventually got to bed) hours when I was waiting for my A level results out of sheer stress, my Mum and I decided I'd try to stay up as long as possible to stop me from sleeping at 10am and not being tired at 10pm. I lasted in out until about 2pm and managed to get through to 11pm on the two hour nap I had then - and I only did that because I was going out with my mates in the evening and I am a ******* to be around if I'm that tired.

ReputationRep:
    1. Get debit card if you have it
    2. Find hotel
    3. Leave note at home saying you're at a hotel but not which one
    4. Stay at hotel
    5. SLEEP
    6. ???
    7. PROFIT!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D-Day)
    Kindly **** off
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmm. No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Was that supposed to be funny? Maybe I'll laugh when I haven't been up for 24 HOURS STRAIGHT!!! ****!!!
    Oh seriously, cry me a river. 24 hours isn't really that long. Stop being so dramatic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    2. Find hotel
    4. Stay at hotel
    5. SLEEP
    6. ???
    7. PROFIT!!!

AHAHAHAAHAA + rep for south park reference :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    2. Find hotel
    4. Stay at hotel
    5. SLEEP
    6. ???
    7. PROFIT!!!
    Lol, that made me laugh. OR, you could leave a note at home saying you're at a hotel and give the name of the wrong one. That's a better time wasting mechanism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Given that I often suffer from insomnia, and have been sat up all night doing random ****, yes, I would be incredibly grateful for someone making sure I stayed up and got into a decent sleep pattern.

Case in point - I stayed up for over 24 (it would've been about 36 when I eventually got to bed) hours when I was waiting for my A level results out of sheer stress, my Mum and I decided I'd try to stay up as long as possible to stop me from sleeping at 10am and not being tired at 10pm. I lasted in out until about 2pm and managed to get through to 11pm on the two hour nap I had then - and I only did that because I was going out with my mates in the evening and I am a ******* to be around if I'm that tired.
    Granted, but in your case if you wanted to be kept awake, I'm sure you would first ask someone to do so and they would then do it in a far less 'angry' way than OP's dad has obviously gone about the situation.

He is treating the lack of sleep that night like a behavioural problem (based entirely on OPs description of events). As an insomnia suffer, I'm sure you'd be pretty angered if someone began treating you like that despite it being something you had little control over.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just kip at a friends house?

ReputationRep:
    :yes: If he takes you with him again to work or golf, start telling his mates some embassing storys from home, if you don't have any make them up.
    He will stop taking you with him :yes:

http://www.liahalsall.com/wp-content.../stressed1.jpg

ReputationRep:
    fake convulsions. see who's laughing then.

ReputationRep:
    Let me guess, you're Asian?

ReputationRep:
    plant a small alarm in his room that plays the mexican hat dance over and over again in a really high pitched, ringtone style!! Who Cant sleep now!! MWahahahaha!! or alternatively u could've gone golfing and constently hit balls at him sayin ohh im sorry I'm a little tired for some reason!? :o: :p: any of them appealing 2 u? :o:

ReputationRep:
    You're such a loser.

Just go to sleep and forget about it.

Hit him in the balls with your golf club, while taking a swing. That will be sure to pique his interest.

ReputationRep:
    I happen to think that's awesome.

I'd totally do that to my kids if they started staying up talking crap on the internet all night, and then sleeping through the days.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.