Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone ever had a friend in the car during a practical test? watch

ReputationRep:
    Wondering if anyone has had a friend in the car during their practical test?

What was it like? Did it make you feel more nervous or did it help?

ReputationRep:
    I thought you were only allowed your instructor, but I could be wrong. I don't think it would help though having a friend in the car.

ReputationRep:
    You are only allowed your instructor in the car on your practical test last I checked.. But there stopping that as well at the end of this year my instructor told me.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was anyone aged 16 or older, and who won't "interfere"

ReputationRep:
    Anyone over the age of 16 yes.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't help having someone at the back of the car, once my mum and sister were in the back and it completely threw my clutch control off balance since I had to apply a lot more gas and pull up on the clutch more with the extra weight pulling me downhill when I was climbing up from a parking spot. You'll probably end up stalling which can lead to more mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    When I took my test I thought it was examiner and that was it, i.e. you weren't allowed any other person in the car, not that anyone over the height of about 4'0" would have fit in the back of the car I took my test in!

ReputationRep:
    I took my edit: instructor on my third and final test. I had the same examiner for all three tests. Some may think its a coincedence, but I passed the third time..
    I didnt really find it distracting to be honest, plus it made me happier to think that there was someone there on my side (even if in the truth it made no difference )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparxy)
    You are only allowed your instructor in the car on your practical test last I checked.. But there stopping that as well at the end of this year my instructor told me.
    Your instructor is on another planet. You are allowed to take anyone you like on test who is 16 or over. It can be an interpreter, your instructor or just a friend or relative to give moral support. Whoever sits in is not allowed to communicate in any way with you (except for interpreters) and must not interfere with the conduct of the test.

Occasionally, a senior examiner may sit in to check the examiner's performance and this may be in addition to your interpreter / instructor / friend.

From October 2010, it is planned to become compulsory for a candidate's instructor or accompanying driver to be present throughout the test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)
    Your instructor is on another planet. You are allowed to take anyone you like on test who is 16 or over. It can be an interpreter, your instructor or just a friend or relative to give moral support. Whoever sits in is not allowed to communicate in any way with you (except for interpreters) and must not interfere with the conduct of the test.

Occasionally, a senior examiner may sit in to check the examiner's performance and this may be in addition to your interpreter / instructor / friend.

From October 2010, it is planned to become compulsory for a candidate's instructor or accompanying driver to be present throughout the test.
    That will cause uproar, can you imagine the amount of disagreements between instructor and examiner.

ReputationRep:

No my instructor only said the bit about that the end of this year or sometime soon that your instructor has to be with you on your exam (sorry I said it other way around in my post)...

As for the bit about only your instructor with you; I think I just interpretted that myself just like everyone else I know because no one has ever taken anyone but there instructor so you kinda think to yourself; you only take your instructor with you.. Kinda like a unwritten rule, if you understand that..

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I did consider taking my dad with me, but in the end i thought that if anything i would just be more nervous so decided against it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cRaig)
    I took my examiner on my third and final test. I had the same examiner for all three tests. Some may think its a coincedence, but I passed the third time..
    I didnt really find it distracting to be honest, plus it made me happier to think that there was someone there on my side (even if in the truth it made no difference )
    That's a bit forward isn't it? You must have been desperate.

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    That's a bit forward isn't it? You must have been desperate.

:awesome:
    haha. instructor.

*gets coat*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nico_SU)
    That will cause uproar, can you imagine the amount of disagreements between instructor and examiner.
    There is already some dissension in the ranks about this new requirement, but the whole scheme may even quieten some existing uproar. A lot of bad feeling already exists between some instructors and examiners which usually stems from a misunderstanding of a failed candidate's version of events as told second hand. Once the instructors are made to sit in and can see for themselves exactly why people are failing, not only will they be more inclined to agree with the examiners, but they can even use the examples they see to improve their future lessons and help their students.

After all, on test day, don't you all pay your instructors for their hour in attendance anyway? Would you rather pay them to sit chatting at the test centre or to be with you during your big moment?

ReputationRep:
    There is already some dissension in the ranks about this new requirement, but the whole scheme may even quieten some existing uproar. A lot of bad feeling already exists between some instructors and examiners which usually stems from a misunderstanding of a failed candidate's version of events as told second hand. Once the instructors are made to sit in and can see for themselves exactly why people are failing, not only will they be more inclined to agree with the examiners, but they can even use the examples they see to improve their future lessons and help their students.

After all, on test day, don't you all pay your instructors for their hour in attendance anyway? Would you rather pay them to sit chatting at the test centre or to be with you during your big moment?
    Ok, maybe there will be smaller disagreements, but surely the ones that do happen will be larger because the instructor has seen the incident first hand.

ReputationRep:
    I took my instructor on my second test and it really helped with my nerves having a bit of moral support, even though he obviously couldn't say anything and I hardly see him in the mirror anyway lol.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 15, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.