Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't smoke, but my parents once advised me to try weed :lolwut:

So I dont reaaally think they would mind

ReputationRep:
    When I was 16 (it was legal then), I told them and my mum restricted me to smoking in the garden, so that others wouldn't see me (:facepalm:) then banned me from the garden. So I 'gave up' and carried on away from home and would die if they found out now. My dad stayed out of it cos he's been smoking for about...half of his life (hasn't smoked for about 6 years though). I would never tell them now, although I suspect they probably know I smoke now, but probably don't know about the rest of the time that I've smoked...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    We were ******* propagandised at school about smoking, doesn't make a difference, hasn't made a difference, won't make a difference.
    Mhm it won't work for every single person, a video clip on lung cancer and a picture of infected lungs put me off and that was enough for me :p:
    Hmm I wish smoking wasn't "cool"... I'm never attracted to guys who smoke though, I just want to stay away from them as much as possible, they're all chavs and whores (at my school anyways).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarubobo28)
    Mhm it won't work for every single person, a video clip on lung cancer and a picture of infected lungs put me off and that was enough for me
    Hmm I wish smoking wasn't "cool"... I'm never attracted to guys who smoke though, I just want to stay away from them as much as possible, they're all chavs and whores (at my school anyways).
    Eh, yea loads of chavs do smoke, but I know loads of people whoa re like the opposite of chavs who also smoke... I don't think you can claim smoking is particularly chavvy, really i've really found that "the smoking area" is the most diverse place at college but obviously it can be different for you and I remember that when i was at an actual school, it was really only the chavs who smoked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarubobo28)
    Yeah, there was no point telling this to you because you already smoke, but it was kinda like aimed at people who don't smoke - because apparently it's not all that "bloody obvious", and you're a good example of someone who regrets smoking no? (I could tell by how you talked there, but yay because that's the way to go, if you want to give up you can, and people do succeed)
    Too bad you were uneducated at school... all schools should have PSHEs and assemblies on this issue
    Good luck in giving up, you wouldn't want sticky black lungs all clogged up in tar :yes: (<- also "bloody obvious" )
    hahaha ur cheeeky. =]
    yeah i proper regret startin.

DO NOT EVER START SMOKING ANYONE.

when i started i thought i would be able to quit but nar its not that easy. FML.

ReputationRep:
    My dad always told me as I was growing up if I ever smoke he would cut off my fingers. And the scary thing is, I can imagine him doing so, so I have never smoked, and I never will. Disgusting habit anyway.

ReputationRep:
    who else only smokes whilst drunk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Yer. They don't like it and I don't do it infront of them.
    Did you pick up smoking during med school?

ReputationRep:
    I've smoked on and off since I was 15, never very much - currently I average 1-3 a day I think, more if I go out. I know when I go to Uni this will increase loads.

I know my parents know cos when I came home from a trip once the stashed pack on top of my wardrobe had disappeared :p: they've never said anything though, and I've a better place for my baccy and papers now. They smoked for like 10 years starting from before my age, so they can't really start on me.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    90% of my mate smoke weed whenever we get together, and some of them smoke cigarettes.
    Most of their parents have no idea!!

ReputationRep:
    Erm they probably both do by now (they've found them on me a few times) but to be honest I don't smoke that much - 1 or 2 a day, sometimes more if I'm out with people.

Plus, even if they do disapprove they can't say anything about it because one is a recovering alcoholic and the other one smokes pot so...

ReputationRep:
    Yep. They accepted it after a while...after the 50th time I got caught doing it. Wish I didn't start, though

(but omg, mayfair<3333)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    Did you pick up smoking during med school?
    No, started long before.

ReputationRep:
    Since I started, at no point have they been unaware. They're not exactly delighted about it, but nonetheless I can smoke in the house and don't attempt to cover my habit at all. People my age who go to great lengths to hide that they're a smoker really are quite pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    Since I started, at no point have they been unaware. They're not exactly delighted about it, but nonetheless I can smoke in the house and don't attempt to cover my habit at all. People my age who go to great lengths to hide that they're a smoker really are quite pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    Lol yes they knew I did it before, I've stopped now don't even party smoke anymore.. find it disgusting!
    My parents didn't care too much, my mum used to smoke when she was younger so she can't really tell me to not do it :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    I only hide it from my family, we argue enough without this too!

ReputationRep:
    I've only tried it once, and didn't particularly like or dislike it.
    If I did smoke, it would only be in social situations after a few drinks, but because none of my friends smoke, neither do I.

ReputationRep:
    They know. They're not happy about it but they let me smoke in the garden.

My parents know I smoke, yeah.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.