Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Havn't posted in a while but need something answering if possible.

Before I had my filter interview I was a little worried about the time constraints regarding my age and being accepted as pilot. As I understood it, 23 was the maximum age that you could be accepted.

Fast forward a few months and now I've had my filter and awaiting a date from Cranwell. At my filter interview I expressed my concern and the officer said I should be fine as long as you are in the pipeline at 23.

I also went back to get debriefed and thought, as it was a different officer I may as well ask the same question regarding my age and see what the response was.

He said that you can still be accepted into your 24th year of age as long as you're application is pending.

I'm just a bit confused as to what is what as they were both fairly high ranking officers that said two different things. I'll be turning 24 in October.

Any thoughts.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how they're different answers? Officer 1 said you can be accepted at older than 23 if you've already applied by the time you're 23. Officer 2 said you can be accepted at 24 (ie older than 23) as long as your application is pending (ie you applied while 23)

Sounds like the same answer to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancStudent098)
    I don't see how they're different answers? Officer 1 said you can be accepted at older than 23 if you've already applied by the time you're 23. Officer 2 said you can be accepted at 24 (ie older than 23) as long as your application is pending (ie you applied while 23)

Sounds like the same answer to me.
    Yeh that is correct, the answers are pretty much the same - its just that the first officer gave me a feeling that 'you'll just make it', whereas the second officer said you'd be fine. Just wanted a clear answer from someone.

ReputationRep:
    I guess the first officer wasn't as certain and just hedged his opinion a bit? If it's been confirmed by two different people then I wouldn't worry.

ReputationRep:
    The age limit has recently changed so they are both wrong. You will however be fine though as they are wrong in a way that favours you.

Go speak to the AFCO and tell them to read their mail. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimjomjam)
    The age limit has recently changed
    Has it? This rumour has been doing the rounds for months, but last I heard it was still just a rumour ...

ReputationRep:
    You will however be fine though as they are wrong in a way that favours you.
    Care to elaborate? cheers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure I heard that rumour about a year ago, until it says on the careers website/pilot branch factsheet, I wouldn't read anything into it. i've also heard rumours about the eyesight requirements changing, I believe nothing's happened on that front either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GR29KHS)
    I'm sure I heard that rumour about a year ago, until it says on the careers website/pilot branch factsheet, I wouldn't read anything into it. i've also heard rumours about the eyesight requirements changing, I believe nothing's happened on that front either.

Have heard of both rumours, but I thought we'd already seen evidence of the eyesight one? Didn't some guy on here come back from OASC having gotten through saying that if the standards hadn't have changed he wouldn't have passed?

Factsheets and careers website can't always be trusted though, I know for a fact that some of the info given on the IntO factsheet is 5 years our of date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Have heard of both rumours, but I thought we'd already seen evidence of the eyesight one? Didn't some guy on here come back from OASC having gotten through saying that if the standards hadn't have changed he wouldn't have passed?
    Well that's a post I never saw so I guess I'm a bit out of date.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    It is possible that the age limits haven't been officially changed, but that OASC are working on a more relaxed approach. The age limits for aptitude based branches, particularly aircrew, are based on declining aptitude/training potential with age. However, there are always a few outliers, people with great aptitude even aged 24, 25, 26 etc, just as there are some 18 year olds with fantastic maturity and leadership ability.

If they announce a blanket increase in age limits, eyesight limits etc, the floodgates are opened to a whole batch of wannabes including all the chancers and wheezy kids (or grown ups in this case). However, if a decent looking prospect turns up in the AFCO but is near or over the age limit, they may now be sending them to OASC for a decision to be made after their full potential has been assessed.

I have no inside knowledge of the changing limits etc, but I do know a bit about how this RAF beast thinks, and I suspect this would be their first step if they wanted to expand the recruiting pool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    I do know a bit about how this RAF beast thinks

Isn't that just a surefire guarantee that in about 20minutes it will morph into something even more unfathomable?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Isn't that just a surefire guarantee that in about 20minutes it will morph into something even more unfathomable?
    Nah, it's old wine in new bottles. The window dressing changes, but the fundamentals of what the organisation needs and how in can recruit are pretty constant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by double_dd)
    Care to elaborate? cheers
    I can't because I don't have the document. But IIRC it might just be for graduates.

ReputationRep:
    I can't because I don't have the document. But IIRC it might just be for graduates.
    It sounds unlikely. Given that aptitudes, leadership, initiative and all the other qualities the RAF is looking for are tested at assessment, it would be strange to extend an age limit for graduates only. A degree in itself does not necessarily contribute to any of those things.

If the age limit is decided because it is the usual cut-off for optimisation of aptitudes, etc, the presence or absence of a degree is unlikely to affect those innate abilities.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Because Gap Years are now de rigeur, graduates are now almost always a year older than they were say 20 years ago and so many more are tripping up against the age limits. The actual point of terminal decline in aptitude/learning ability for pilots is about 28 so there is plenty of flex to up the age limit a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theo1977)
    A degree in itself does not necessarily contribute to any of those things.
    No it doesn't, but a degree takes time and in the current climate where everyone and their dog has a degree, the RAF could miss out on some good candidates purely because a decent candidate does a degree and misses the age cut-off.

It's understandable that most of the best candidates would not consider joining the forces before getting a degree.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    It has little to do with that - more to do with the ability to learn and be trained - which decreases with age. Also - many great people don't have degrees.

A degree usually takes 3 years - correct me if I'm wrong. Seems to be the traditional length. Fits with age requirements. Handy that.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I took a year out before I went to uni to save up the cash for it. Whereas most of the people I know have debt in excess of £12,000, I myself have considerably less.

They were impressed with that at my interview so good for me. What's not so good is that that means it's a bit of a squeeze of getting in there when you're 23.

If anyone else decided to take a year out before uni instead of being pushed through the system of leaving college and filling out ucas forms then they'll be in the same boat as moi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    A degree usually takes 3 years - correct me if I'm wrong.
    In England. It's not the only country in the UK.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.