Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Opening 2 Student Accounts to Test the Water? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I applied for a student account with Halifax (who I've been banking with for 12 years) a few months back, but the application was rejected. I was told to go back in July and not get any charges in the meantime...

I decided to leave them because I got £65.00 of charges which I can't afford to pay, so I opened an account with NatWest, but they don't allow me to have my overdraft until 20th August (that's if they even accept me for one) and it only has a £500.00 limit in term 1.

Now I want to apply again for a Halifax account, but don;t want to close the one with Natwest in case I'm rejected by Halifax again. Do you think I can get away with applying, then closing whichever account rejects me for the overdraft?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Generally your only meant to have one student account. Couldn't you just wait and see? Are you in that big a rush? Otherwise, when trying a Halifax don't mention you already have a student account, which shouldn't be too big a concern if you have every intention of closing one.

ReputationRep:
    Cool, I'm in a rush as I want to start renting a place towards the end of August and I need the overdraft to pay the deposit + 1st month's rent, which is likely to be more than £500.00 altogether (I can't get financial help from my parents)

Cheers for the advice though, I'm applying online and so far haven't been asked if I have other student accounts.

ReputationRep:
    jus stick with natwest they have a good graduate account too!!!

you wont get your overdraft with either bank until after aug 20th.. you do knw that dont you

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't matter now anyway... Halifax rejected me again

That's what I get for 10 years of faithful service lol. I doubt NatWest will even give me the overdraft. These poxy credit checks are driving me crazy!

ReputationRep:
    I've had a Halifax student account, and a Natwest student account for years and years. It's fine as long as you have money being paid into both accounts. One has my student loan, and my mother pays me a little bit of keep money on a standing order into the other account.

But since you got rejected ... nevermind.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.