Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i'm in the process of deliberating over which AS levels i will choose (to start in September) and i need to decide by the end of this week.
    at first, i firmly felt that i was headed towards the media side of things,
    possibly journalism/advertising or similar.

my initial AS level choices were Eng Lit, Spanish, Media + Photography, but i've been continuously informed that only two of the above are considered 'serious subjects'.

this thus led me to consider doing maths instead of media,
    but due to timetabling issues, it would force me to instead drop photography (something i immensely enjoy and would've loved to take an a level in).

what should i do?
    is it a necessity to have 3 solid subjects going into uni?

ReputationRep:
    Do maths.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what course you want to do in uni, if you want to do photography at uni then photography is the one to go for. However maths would look better in general. In my opinion photography is an interest which could be studied outside of school, and you could do an A level for that in your own time.

(Original post by elevatormusic)
    i'm in the process of deliberating over which AS levels i will choose (to start in September) and i need to decide by the end of this week.
    at first, i firmly felt that i was headed towards the media side of things,
    possibly journalism/advertising or similar.

my initial AS level choices were Eng Lit, Spanish, Media + Photography, but i've been continuously informed that only two of the above are considered 'serious subjects'.

this thus led me to consider doing maths instead of media,
    but due to timetabling issues, it would force me to instead drop photography (something i immensely enjoy and would've loved to take an a level in).

what should i do?
    is it a necessity to have 3 solid subjects going into uni?
    If you've always wanted to go into the Journalism/Media side of the working world, then I would suggest you continue with that path.

I wouldn't take up Maths because it's a 'serious subject'. Journalism/Advertising/Marketing work involves 'hunches', 'assertiveness'. If you are quickly swayed in (potentially) changing your life ambitions/plans because of what someone classes as a 'serious' subject, then perhaps you need to reconsider exactly what it is that you want to do?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Do maths. There are plenty of people who do photography at our college, and it's actually more hard work than previously thought. None of them enjoyed it really...
    Do Maths AS, and then drop it the next year. It'll also look much better on your CV.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to go down the journalism path, then I would think photography is more useful. Plus, photography is your first instinct. It's my personal opinion that you shouldn't have to choose another subject randomly just because it's considered a 'more serious' one. If you say that you really would enjoy photography then I think that's probably the one that would be best. But it's entirely up to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elevatormusic)
    Only one is a serious subject

ReputationRep:
    Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Do Maths as you can do what ever the people who do photography do but it doesn't work the other way round.

ReputationRep:
    Do Maths. However study the subject which you think you will do well in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    Only one is a serious subject
    Spanish isn't a serious subject??!!! Since when?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yesiambored)
    Spanish isn't a serious subject??!!! Since when?
    Eng lit isn't a real subject imo

ReputationRep:
    Would you be able to take maths/photography now, drop it at the end of year12 then take up the other in year13? This may be something to discuss. I spose it depends, colleges will be really lenient mosttimes, sixth forms may not.

ReputationRep:
    theres a big difference between a "serious subject" and maths though. you might want to think about doing another subject alltogether...

ReputationRep:
    do you have to do maths, couldnt you do physics and photography maybe??
    or any of the 'serious subjects' which would still allow you to do photography?
    (although you can see from my sig which i would choose)

ReputationRep:
    Eng lit isn't a real subject imo
    Whoever negged me for that, I'll tell you why I don't think it's a proper subject.

All it is, is over-analysing stupid pieces of literature, which the author/poet
    did not write about.

All you need to do to be good at it, is be able to make up stuff and back it up with a stupid point. Full marks...

ReputationRep:
    Whoever negged me for that, I'll tell you why I don't think it's a proper subject.

did not write about.

All you need to do to be good at it, is be able to make up stuff and back it up with a stupid point. Full marks...
    You clearly have no concept of the real purpose of literature, you ignorant buffoon.

ReputationRep:

did not write about.

That is your opinion.
    An opinion which is not shared by the top universities.

ReputationRep:
    The main point is that Maths is an all round respected qualification which will still allow him to do photography if he wishes, whilst keeping his options open. If he does photography AS, he's limiting his choices much more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    You clearly have no concept of the real purpose of literature, you ignorant buffoon.
    Okay, what is it?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.