Turn on thread page Beta

which countries are closed countries? watch

ReputationRep:
    which countries are closed countries? ie which are the ones where no tourists/ foriegn buisnesses are allowed in or out? i know north Korea is one, but are there any others?

ReputationRep:
    Tourists are allowed in N. Korea, on state run tours.

ReputationRep:
    Somaliland, South Ossetia, Moldova, Trans-Dniester or Iran?

I'm not too sure whether these type of countries would be classed as being 'closed' but they're certainly not where most tourists would go.

Some of these countries might not have a proper state goverment or the country isn't recognised by the international community so getting passports and visas ect is difficult or might have to be done on the black market and international businesses don't business there.

There was a series by Simon Reeve a few years ago called 'places that don't exist' which is about a few of the countries above.

I know places like China, Russia and Iran can get a bit iffy with foreigners sometimes with things like visas etc

ReputationRep:
    Somalia

ReputationRep:
    Any country other than America.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovay)
    Iran

Except it is in the top 10 places wheretourists should visit :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    i have an iranian friend who said the exact same thing! she says its a place everyone should visit at least once

ReputationRep:
    Not closed, but countries that have hig kidnap rates and ransoms etc. So a few in south america I wouldn't visit. Many people do visit its just risky.

ReputationRep:
    I don't doubt that it's a beautiful country but it can be hard for americans to get a visa for that country and it is a closed country for those that are israeli or have been to israel

ReputationRep:
    None are "closed" as far as im aware but youd never want to go to Somalia, N Korea, Zimbabwe etcetc

ReputationRep:
    Myanmar?

edit: they encourage tourists but treat their population badly for it....so its more of a global boycott.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bakerbaker)
    None are "closed" as far as im aware but youd never want to go to Somalia, N Korea, Zimbabwe etcetc
    I'd very much like to visit the last two places you mentioned. They both have a functioning tourist economy.

ReputationRep:
    I think Saudi Arabia has many restrictions, except for those going to makka. Others countries in the gulf like Kuwait just allow ppl who have working visa and their families.

ReputationRep:
    Burma? And I know someone who has been to North Korea but he kept quite that he fought in the(on going) Korean war.

Edit: Saudi Arabia for non-Islams/non-working foreigners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovay)
    I don't doubt that it's a beautiful country but it can be hard for americans to get a visa for that country and it is a closed country for those that are israeli or have been to israel

Well there are nearly 7bn people in the world, 7 million israelis does not mean it is a closed country.

Well there are nearly 7bn people in the world, 7 million israelis does not mean it is a closed country.
    Uhuh, it just means that 7 million Israelis don't count as people :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmalev)
    i have an iranian friend who said the exact same thing! she says its a place everyone should visit at least once

It is a beautiful place, it is known as the land of wonders without tourists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Uhuh, it just means that 7 million Israelis don't count as people :rolleyes:

sense, do you make any?

sense, do you make any?
    The implication of your statement, that israelis are only 7m of a world of 7 billion, is that they somehow don't count as people enough to be let into your country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    The implication of your statement, that israelis are only 7m of a world of 7 billion, is that they somehow don't count as people enough to be let into your country.

No it wasn't, i am putting you on my ignore list. You're an obnoxious troll that posts in and argues, in every thread i visit/

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.