Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Bone Marrow Donation watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done this or does this? Id like to give it a go but dont know what to expect. Im A pos so theres lots of my blood available...

ReputationRep:
    i would like to do it, i no you get put to sleep im just a bit weary about the pain afterwards :/

ReputationRep:
    do they put you to sleep?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.blood.co.uk/pages/marrow_info.html

ReputationRep:
    yeah general anasthetic which is being put to sleep, then they take it from your hip i believe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachaelS)
    http://www.blood.co.uk/pages/marrow_info.html
    thanks I read that but it didnt seem to tell me about what to expect... yet there is a whole virtual thing on giveing blood, Ive done that!

ReputationRep:
    It hurts.

Alot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nico_SU)
    It hurts.

Alot.
    have you donated?

ReputationRep:
    They put you on the register and will contact you if someone who is a match needs a donation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly)
    They put you on the register and will contact you if someone who is a match needs a donation.
    I know but what happenes at the donation?

ReputationRep:
    I have also been considering this....im also scared of the pain, but i know it would be worth it to save somebodys life...

any advice appreciated...

and gaylei...if you put your name down to donate, i'll do it too

oh and i'm A Negative only 11% of the population have my blood type apparently

ReputationRep:
    can you make any money off it? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I would love to do it. Especially because of the lack of black donors and because you never know when I, or a member of my family, may need a bone marrow transplant at some point. But I bloody hate needles and pain! I will do it soon though...hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InconspicuousGuy)

A Negative for the win!

Anyway, I did a bit of a search and I found this:
    What the Donor Experiences
    In most cases, a donation is made using circulating stem cells (PBSC) collected by apheresis. First, the donor receives injections for a few days of a medication that causes stem cells to move out of the bone marrow and into the blood. For the stem cell collection, the donor is connected to a machine by a needle inserted in the vein (like for blood donation). Blood is taken from the vein, filtered by the machine to collect the stem cells, then returned back to the donor through a needle in the other arm. There is almost no need for a recovery time with this procedure.
    If stem cells are collected by bone marrow harvest (much less likely), the donor will go to the operating room and while asleep under anesthesia, a needle will be inserted into either the hip or the breastbone to take out some bone marrow. After awakening, he/she may feel some pain where the needle was inserted.
    Taken from:
    http://rarediseases.about.com/od/rar...sb/a/bmt05.htm

So yeah, apparently it hurts a bit. My mum is on the list, and she came pretty close to be a donor once. She had to have several tests, which I think were mainly blood samples, to ensure she was a match. It turned out she wasn't, so she never had to give.

I think she was told, though, that it hurts more for the donor than for the recipient (but not unbearably so - and it's worth a life, anyway). I also think she was told that you are in the same operating room as the donor, so they take the marrow out of you and put it in the other person pretty much immediately. However, you never meet the person, but they are allowed to write you a letter, thanking you.

The bit about not meeting the person might not be true, though - I just think that's what she said

EDIT: I've just noticed that a couple of people are wondering how to become a donor. A lot of people do it though the Anthony Nolan Trust. There is information on how to join the register here:
    http://www.anthonynolan.org.uk/donat...intheregister/

ReputationRep:
    I've been on the register for 4 years! I'm O rh Pos but never even been contacted as a possibility!

ReputationRep:
    My cousin has a rare blood disease and her little sister donated bone marrow to her at a very early age; though the reception is very difficult, the donation, while uncomfortable, is not difficult and the recovery period is very short. I don't know how one is put on the donor list though, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the Anthony Nolan's Trust register - Friends ask me all the time if I'm aware of the pain I'd be in if I had it done.. But when it means I've been responsibile for saving someone's life I think it's worth the pain.

Plus they give you and a friend an all expenses paid trip to London

ReputationRep:
    i have just submitted an enquiry to the NHS website about how i become a bone marrow transplant....i'll let you know how i get on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InconspicuousGuy)
    I have also been considering this....im also scared of the pain, but i know it would be worth it to save somebodys life...

any advice appreciated...

and gaylei...if you put your name down to donate, i'll do it too

do you donate blood? take a look at this! http://www.blood.co.uk/StockGraph/st...lstandard.aspx

I am happy to give blood, I cant donate platelets as Im not a man but I will donate my cord blood when I have a baby!

ReputationRep:
    I"m already on the organ donor register and the blood donation register too, although havent given any blood as yet. How does one become a bone marrow donor , I"d like to do that too. I"m not worried about the pain, heck I"ve been through childbirth and if I can stand that I can stand anything. Especially if it means saving someone elses life.

Edit: I donated blood cord cells from both of my children when they were born.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 1, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.