Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I switched course after a year at Leicester University (approximately equal ranking) to study Philosophy at York University as Leicester do not teach philosophy and York was closer to my home. Although I had visited the beautiful city of York many times, I made the mistake of not visiting the campus first to get a feel for the place. I am quite accepting of the best of 1960s architecture so I thought that it would be fine.

The 1960s Central Hall is striking- I quite like it- and the new Computer Science building is absolutely beautiful and, I read, one of the best places to study that subject. The lake is also an interesting and striking feature, Heslington Hall is nice and the small village it is in, Heslington, is nice.

But some of the campus, including the accommodation, was characterlessly homogenised and 1960s in not even an especially ugly way- worse, a bland way. The campus becomes effectively dead on a weekend. The introductory meeting in Central Hall for new students involved the leaders/activisits who run the Students Union berating Margaret Thatcher. Now, I realise, somewhat to my disdain, that York's famous alumni is depressingly composed of a small handful of New Labourites such as Harriet Harperson but I didn't expect such an attempted brainwashing on new students, sadly none of whom booed (I wish I had now).

I understand that York is expanding and has new courses in Film and Law and a few of its courses are highly rated. I wish it well because the campus could be potentially beautiful throughout- but I encourage you to visit if you are intending to go. As it was, I became depressed and received no help.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, what year did you attend? I really can't imagine any of last year's YUSU sabbs last year berating Margaret Thatcher at the introduction talks, over the last few years YUSU has become famously apolitical and Conservative Society is the political society with the biggest membership on campus!

ReputationRep:
    It was 1998. I am pleased that your experence has been better - some of the lecturers did impress me though- Prof. Tom Baldwin for instance and there is no doubt that parts of the campus are beautiful- a highly ranked place for Computer Science (ranked quite highly for Philosophy as well and high for English) but I would still recommend visiting any university before deciding to go there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    It was 1998. I am pleased that your experence has been better - some of the lecturers did impress me though- Prof. Tom Baldwin for instance and there is no doubt that parts of the campus are beautiful- a highly ranked place for Computer Science (ranked quite highly for Philosophy as well and high for English) but I would still recommend visiting any university before deciding to go there.
    Ah right! Was ages ago then The new Computer Science building is now the environmental science building, and the new new Computer Science building is now becoming an extension of the library, and the new new new Computer Science building is being built on what would have been known as campus 3, and is now Heslington East

Lots has has changed since then, back in 1998 Halifax wouldn't have been a college, and is now, and what was Goodricke College is now part of James College

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laser)
    Ah right! Was ages ago then The new Computer Science building is now the environmental science building, and the new new Computer Science building is now becoming an extension of the library, and the new new new Computer Science building is being built on what would have been known as campus 3, and is now Heslington East

Lots has has changed since then, back in 1998 Halifax wouldn't have been a college, and is now, and what was Goodricke College is now part of James College
    Out of curiosity, where is campus 2?

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware, campus 2 is the current Heslington campus. Campus 1 is Kings Manor. I may have this backwards or completely wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Laser - as far as I know that's right, although it could be the other way round... depends on whether you go by the age of the buildings or the length of use by the university :P

ReputationRep:
    I lol'ed at the Sabbs berating margaret Thatcher. One of them is sometimes refered to as "Tory Shanks" by some of the campus left wingers.

ReputationRep:
    From what I gather, back when campus was a lot more politicised, people used to run for SU positions under party tickets. Although tbh, at the NUS Awards, the vice-President of the NUS spent most of his speech making really crap pro-Labour and anti-Tory/Margaret Thatcher jokes. :roll:

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like to point out that York is the least political university I've ever come across in general. Yes the political societies are there, but their presence doesn't go much beyond that of others and when it comes to union stuff the politics is very internalised. It's not like Keele, Lancaster, or any other Uni I've had an experience of.

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.