Turn on thread page Beta

Why is my TV only getting BBC channels? watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes, before you say, i know its the digital switch over, im not that dumb. Its happened in my area so i rescanned my TV, it worked fine. Then none of the programmes had any signal after a day or so (im guessing a second phase in the switch over) so i rescanned again. But all it came up with was BBC 1, BBC 2, BBC 3, BBC 4, CBBC channel, Cbeebies, BBC news, BBC Parliament and BBC red button (whatever that is). Ive rescanned like 5 more times and still no change.
    Another thing is whenever i chose to go on these channels they all say 'poor signal' and i cant even watch them.
    Anyone know whats wrong or can help me?

My TV is an LG btw

thank you

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you've not upgraded your aerial in order to receive digital signals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Sounds like you've not upgraded your aerial in order to receive digital signals.
    that maybe it, but ive watched freeview on the tv for like a year.
    does that mean i have to buy a new aerial?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlackBackLazy)
    that maybe it, but ive watched freeview on the tv for like a year.
    does that mean i have to buy a new aerial?
    Oh. In which case, I'd leave it a day or two, keep rescanning. If the switch over is happening in your area, that might explain the disruption to your service.

ReputationRep:
    It's hinting that you should get out the house. Gutted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANAH)
    It's hinting that you should get out the house. Gutted.
    good burn, witty.
    but its raining

ReputationRep:
    I'm no expert, but it could just mean that the BBC channels have the strongest signals, so you're only picking them up. Otherwise give it a few days, you can watch digital tv online anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Given your location, Truro (or near there), your aerial must be pointing to the transmitter in Truro or the transmitter in Redruth.

Plug your postcode into here and see your real options as I don't know where exactly you live.

It seems as though BBC Two analogue has been switched off in your area and all other channels will be switched off on the 5th of August.

Now, if your aerial is pointing to Truro, then it was only an analogue transmitter and can only receive half of the channels. Currently, BBC One, ITV 1, C4 and five analogue are broadcasting from it until the 5th of August, as well as the main BBC multiplex (BBC1-4, CBBC, Cbeebies and News Channel). After switchover, the analogue channels are switched off and ITV 1-4, C4 and +1, More 4, E4, BBC Interactive (301-303) and BBC Radio start broadcasting in digital.

You will not get other channels (Five, Fiver, Five USA, Sky 3, E4 +1, Dave, Sky News, Sky Sports News, Film 4 and 4 Music [amongst others]) from this transmitter at any point.

Instead, your aerial should point to Redruth which is the main transmitter in your region. At this moment, it is broadcasting all digital and analogue channels until August 5, where BBC 1, BBC 2 England, ITV 1, C4 and five analogue are switched off and the digital channels have their power increased and are realigned.

At the moment, if you look here, the power for each group of channels is incredibly low, apart from the BBC group (BBC1-4, etc). So this may just be a temporary issue until next month. You will still need to retune on the 5th.

If your aerial is pointing to Truro, maybe consider moving it to point to Redruth - otherwise you will miss out on half the channels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    Given your location, Truro (or near there), your aerial must be pointing to the transmitter in Truro or the transmitter in Redruth.

Plug your postcode into here and see your real options as I don't know where exactly you live.

It seems as though BBC Two analogue has been switched off in your area and all other channels will be switched off on the 5th of August.

Now, if your aerial is pointing to Truro, then it was only an analogue transmitter and can only receive half of the channels. Currently, BBC One, ITV 1, C4 and five analogue are broadcasting from it until the 5th of August, as well as the main BBC multiplex (BBC1-4, CBBC, Cbeebies and News Channel). After switchover, the analogue channels are switched off and ITV 1-4, C4 and +1, More 4, E4, BBC Interactive (301-303) and BBC Radio start broadcasting in digital.

You will not get other channels (Five, Fiver, Five USA, Sky 3, E4 +1, Dave, Sky News, Sky Sports News, Film 4 and 4 Music [amongst others]) from this transmitter at any point.

Instead, your aerial should point to Redruth which is the main transmitter in your region. At this moment, it is broadcasting all digital and analogue channels until August 5, where BBC 1, BBC 2 England, ITV 1, C4 and five analogue are switched off and the digital channels have their power increased and are realigned.

At the moment, if you look here, the power for each group of channels is incredibly low, apart from the BBC group (BBC1-4, etc). So this may just be a temporary issue until next month. You will still need to retune on the 5th.

If your aerial is pointing to Truro, maybe consider moving it to point to Redruth - otherwise you will miss out on half the channels.
    Thanks alot for your help (and extensive research i might add) but, i dont have a aerial as such, just a crappy plastic contraption with two metal wires bought from currys for about £15. But thanks, anyways, and i'll retune on the 5th and just hope.
    you shall be recieving my rep shortly

(btw also just retunned it now, and i have no channels, time to crack out the dvd collection)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks alot for your help (and extensive research i might add) but, i dont have a aerial as such, just a crappy plastic contraption with two metal wires bought from currys for about £15. But thanks, anyways, and i'll retune on the 5th and just hope.
    you shall be recieving my rep shortly

(btw also just retunned it now, and i have no channels, time to crack out the dvd collection)
    Try looking in the 800's for the channels. Sometimes when they rescan, the boxes pick up a sniff of a poor signal first, and put that on the correct program numbers, but it doesn't give enough signal to watch. It then puts the stronger channels in the 800's. You can manually move them on most boxes.

Failing that, try a full reset, there should a be a button on the back of the box. That will clear its memory. If that doesn't work, crack out the DVD's!

Aerial wise - Anything half decent and vaguely directional will work. Don't beleive this digital aerial crap, there is no such thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minardi)
    Try looking in the 800's for the channels. Sometimes when they rescan, the boxes pick up a sniff of a poor signal first, and put that on the correct program numbers, but it doesn't give enough signal to watch. It then puts the stronger channels in the 800's. You can manually move them on most boxes.

Failing that, try a full reset, there should a be a button on the back of the box. That will clear its memory. If that doesn't work, crack out the DVD's!

Aerial wise - Anything half decent and vaguely directional will work. Don't beleive this digital aerial crap, there is no such thing.
    thing is its not a box, the tv comes with freeview inbuilt in it.
    oh well out comes the band of brothers box set

ReputationRep:
    thing is its not a box, the tv comes with freeview inbuilt in it.
    oh well out comes the band of brothers box set
    Same still applies though. Check the 800's and try to reset it.

ReputationRep:
    Well guess what was wrong all along. I had my N64 plugged into the aerial socket so i wasnt getting any reception. haha good ol' goldeneye.

ReputationRep:
    Well guess what was wrong all along. I had my N64 plugged into the aerial socket so i wasnt getting any reception. haha good ol' goldeneye.
    Haha! I did the same thing with a PS1 a while back! :rofl:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.