The Student Room Group

PHD - Will they take me back?

Hello

I was granted a withdrawal from research (in English) in January 2008 after 3 months of doing the PHD. I was scheduled to return in October 2008 but I didn't contact my supervisor or my department as i didn't want to go back then and didn't want them to tell me to get lost (and lose the scholarship).

Ironically I am now desperate to go back in October 2009. I have had no contact from anyone from the uni during this time, telling me I have lost my place or my scholarship, so i don't know where I stand.

I have sent an email to the director of postgrad studies and so I'm awaiting the news.

Do we think it will be good or bad news?!?
Hard to tell, judging by the way you acted though i'm thinking no. Best just to wait and see.
Reply 2
Doubtful.
Reply 3
yep it's not looking too good at the moment....
Reply 4
Well, you did drop out and then not tell them for a year whether you were comimg back or not...
Reply 5
Yeah I completely accept all that. At the moment I'm feeling I'm waiting for the inevitable but as I say I totally accept that.

I phoned the funding body and the woman took my details and said she would phone me back after she looked into it. She sounded a bit grumpy. Luck of the draw!
Reply 6
It's simple, you just need to get in contact with them. Though I highly doubt there will be a place there for you. But you don't know unless you speak to your supervisor.
Reply 7
yeah I've contacted my supervisor as well.

He is was fantastic with me when I requested the suspension of studies and so I trust his response more than the other people I've had to contact.

I don't really think theres any problem place wise - I'm more worried about the funding which I think I've probably lost due to the terms of the contract thought the funding body told me the final word is with the school.
It doesn't sound too good, but I hope it works out for you...
Reply 9
Thanks.

I'm being realistic but still dreaming about it.

Doing a PHd is so much about "state of mind" more than anything else, don't you think?

Latest

Trending

Trending