Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was phoned today and asked to attend a interview on the 16th .. which is fantastic as I have been looking for work since January.

The job is at Heathrow airport.. 3 days on 3 days off.. from 5pm to 10.30pm

After my phone call I was emailed:

In preparing for this assessment centre, please refer to our corporate website; www.whsmithplc.co.uk in addition to our careers website; www.whsmithcareers.co.uk, and also visit one of our stores to see what we currently have on offer including our promotions.
    Do they expect me to remember all their offers and promotions?? :confused:

Has anyone ever been to a WHSmith interview before?? Any tips or advice??

And also the interview is group based, and I have to take a numerical exercise.. I am soo bad at maths.. I know I wont get it

And also what do I wear??

ReputationRep:
    Learn a bit about the company...the background, where they come from and when they were founded and what not. I wouldn't remember each offer individually, I would be looking at the types of offers that they have. If I was to guess, I would say your numerical excercise will be based on working out the percentages of different offers and how much something will be if there is 17% off etc.

As for the wear, be smart but casual. Shirt, jumper, black pants and black shoes, and stick a tie in your pocket, and if everyone/anyone else has one on then nip to the toilet and put yours on.

EDIT - Your female, ignore the last paragraph. Just be smart, but not boardroom smart, if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nico_SU)
    Learn a bit about the company...the background, where they come from and when they were founded and what not. I wouldn't remember each offer individually, I would be looking at the types of offers that they have. If I was to guess, I would say your numerical excercise will be based on working out the percentages of different offers and how much something will be if there is 17% off etc.

As for the wear, be smart but casual. Shirt, jumper, black pants and black shoes, and stick a tie in your pocket, and if everyone/anyone else has one on then nip to the toilet and put yours on.

EDIT - Your female, ignore the last paragraph. Just be smart, but not boardroom smart, if that makes sense.
    Thanks for replying..

Although my jaw dropped when I read " I would say your numerical excercise will be based on working out the percentages" :p: .. wow I am so scared.. I really want this job.

And I get what you mean when you say "not boardroom smart" ...

You almost had me wearing a tie lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    I hate the people who work at WHSmith. Well the guys here anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eli2ab3th)
    Thanks for replying..

Although my jaw dropped when I read " I would say your numerical excercise will be based on working out the percentages" :p: .. wow I am so scared.. I really want this job.

And I get what you mean when you say "not boardroom smart" ...

You almost had me wearing a tie lol :p:
    The thing is, most of these companies all use the same kind of tests. Numerical reasoning doesn't give as much scope as it sounds - your going to be given some numbers and will have to work something out.

The group activity will be a team exercise...all I can say is take the lead and even if your really nervous, listen to other people as well and take their opinions into account but don't take a backseat and be bossed around.

Theres no reason to be scared - they aren't out to trick you. Be yourself as much as possible - after all, you don't want to portray a false personality and get the job based on that.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to apply for that job at Heathrow. Do your best, gl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nico_SU)
    The thing is, most of these companies all use the same kind of tests. Numerical reasoning doesn't give as much scope as it sounds - your going to be given some numbers and will have to work something out.

The group activity will be a team exercise...all I can say is take the lead and even if your really nervous, listen to other people as well and take their opinions into account but don't take a backseat and be bossed around.

Theres no reason to be scared - they aren't out to trick you. Be yourself as much as possible - after all, you don't want to portray a false personality and get the job based on that.
    Omg your advice is so brilliant I might have to print it out and read it on my journey to the interview.

I am really shy .. so I will seriously try my best to take a lead in the group exercise.. I know I have to do it to get myself noticed. :o:

Thank you so so so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosePetal)
    I was going to apply for that job at Heathrow. Do your best, gl.
    Aww thank you.

I did also apply for the Saturday position aswell.. which would have been better for once I start uni.. but beggars can't be choosers lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    I was phoned today and asked to attend a interview on the 16th .. which is fantastic as I have been looking for work since January.

The job is at Heathrow airport.. 3 days on 3 days off.. from 5pm to 10.30pm

After my phone call I was emailed:

Do they expect me to remember all their offers and promotions?? :confused:

Has anyone ever been to a WHSmith interview before?? Any tips or advice??

And also the interview is group based, and I have to take a numerical exercise.. I am soo bad at maths.. I know I wont get it

And also what do I wear??
    you lucky bugger! i applied for all the jobs :P...i got an email for the victoria job saying they'd keep my CV on file, but I got no email about the heathrow 3 nights one :\ how long ago did you get yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    you lucky bugger! i applied for all the jobs :P...i got an email for the victoria job saying they'd keep my CV on file, but I got no email about the heathrow 3 nights one :\ how long ago did you get yours?
    I was just called today.. couple of hours ago :p:
    And after the phone call I got the email through with date and time etc.

I have applied for so many of their jobs.. most of the time I get no where.. this is my first interview with them.

I think you just need to keep on trying.. good luck with your job search

ReputationRep:
    Aww thank you.

I did also apply for the Saturday position aswell.. which would have been better for once I start uni.. but beggars can't be choosers lol :p:
    lol
    It will be a busy 5 & 1/2 hours for you, working at heathrow as well:eek:
    Saturday would be so much better!

ReputationRep:
    I was just called today.. couple of hours ago :p:
    And after the phone call I got the email through with date and time etc.

I have applied for so many of their jobs.. most of the time I get no where.. this is my first interview with them.

I think you just need to keep on trying.. good luck with your job search
    Thank you Good luck with your interview on Thursday!! Gosh, I am wondering if they have forgotten about me, because they would've said I was rejected if they contacted you saying you were successful! Hmm I don't know but I got a job interview with John Lewis

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Good luck with your interview on Thursday!! Gosh, I am wondering if they have forgotten about me, because they would've said I was rejected if they contacted you saying you were successful! Hmm I don't know but I got a job interview with John Lewis
    Thank you.. And good luck with your John Lewis interview.. Is it the one in Kingston?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.. And good luck with your John Lewis interview.. Is it the one in Kingston?
    One in Watford, waited 2-3 weeks for a reply from them, but apparently John Lewis takes a long time to reply back generally but still yippee! first interview out of like 15 applications!lool

ReputationRep:
    One in Watford, waited 2-3 weeks for a reply from them, but apparently John Lewis takes a long time to reply back generally but still yippee! first interview out of like 15 applications!lool
    Aww hope all goes well.

Last year I had an interview at John Lewis.. but it was the same day as my interview at Woolworth.. I decided to go for Woolworth because I was really local to me .. and then they went and closed down on me lol .. so that was pretty annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Aww hope all goes well.

Last year I had an interview at John Lewis.. but it was the same day as my interview at Woolworth.. I decided to go for Woolworth because I was really local to me .. and then they went and closed down on me lol .. so that was pretty annoying.
    Ahh that is annoying, just found out I have a Boots interview which is local to me, and funnily enough it wouldve been on the same day as my John Lewis interview if I didn't reschedule!lool!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANAH)
    I hate the people who work at WHSmith. Well the guys here anyway.
    I used to work there. Do I count in the hatred?

ReputationRep:
    I used to work for WH Smith, but to be honest I applied at such a desperate time the manager admitted to me that they couldn't do the normal interview process because I was the only person to apply. Ended up going straight into the job and never even had the proper training (although to be fair, the training is just watching is load of dodgy health & safety and customer services videos).

I quite enjoyed working WH Smiths. I was the guy who sorted out the book charts and organising new deliveries in the storeroom. Probably the easiest job there is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by questionsquestions)
    I used to work there. Do I count in the hatred?

Depends if you worked in the one on High st. And ...if you're that guy who works there with the long dark hair and bit of a beard. The c**k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANAH)
    Depends if you worked in the one on High st. And ...if you're that guy who works there with the long dark hair and bit of a beard. The c**k
    No beard, and twas an airport Phew!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.