Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dad's being such a nob about the new car... Watch

ReputationRep:
    We're buying a second hand car and picking it up tomorrow, but we're buying it from a private seller so I'm a bit worried about whether there's anything wrong. We can ask the RAC to examine the car for about £100-200 but my dad is refusing to. He's like "its so new there wont be anything wrong with it" and I replied "Just because its new, doesn't mean theres nothing wrong" and he just gave me a really evil glare which signified that he doesn't want to hear anymore about it and if I said anymore, he would've flipped. He can't seem to comprehend the advantages of getting it checked; yes we spend another £200 but if a fault is present, then we won't buy the car saving us thousands. For God's sake, he's so stubborn and never listens to anyone else, argh.

/rant

Sorry

ReputationRep:
    Unless you have any money going towards it, let it go. He obviously doesn't want to do it.

ReputationRep:
    How new is the car...is it still under warranty? If the car is less than a year old then a check really isnt neccessary. However you still need to do a hpi check to make sure the car doesnt have a dodgy history...this can be done for as little as a 3 quid..but i always do the 20 quid one from hpi themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Gutted.

ReputationRep:
    made my day

ReputationRep:
    daddy knows best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk88)
    How new is the car...is it still under warranty? If the car is less than a year old then a check really isnt neccessary. However you still need to do a hpi check to make sure the car doesnt have a dodgy history...this can be done for as little as a 3 quid..but i always do the 20 quid one from hpi themselves.
    Its not THAT new...its an 05 car...so its 4 years. It is in good condition but thats only the outside. Thanks for the info, I'll check that out

ReputationRep:
    When your dad realises its two cars that have been stuck together he'll be like "Damn, I should have listened to your advice".

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he knows a little bit more about cars than you and is going to check it out for himself.

I wouldn't bother with an RAC check either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcfch)
    Its not THAT new...its an 05 car...so its 4 years. It is in good condition but thats only the outside. Thanks for the info, I'll check that out
    Oh i see, well to be honest your dads probably bought loads of cars..so he knows what he's doing..when i got my car i got my dad to check it out as he's knows a fair bit..so far so good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk88)
    Oh i see, well to be honest your dads probably bought loads of cars..so he knows what he's doing..when i got my car i got my dad to check it out as he's knows a fair bit..so far so good
    He's bought...2 second hand cars previously I think. I mean, yes he did open the bonnet to check, but he's no expert! Thanks for your info though, seems to be the only decent reply on this thread!

ReputationRep:
    Depending on the type of car, could go onto an owners forum and quickly ask what type of things you should be looking out for on buying 2nd hand. Quite a few will be fairly clued up on owners sites, so should get a pretty decent/quick response.

Then if your dad does know a bit, could get him to check the things that people have advised you on. Really would try and avoid forking out £100/200 on an RAC check though. Quick HPI check is decent to do though.

ReputationRep:
    If he refuses to get a check then ask the garage to show you the chassis ID plates and corresponding documents. Every car should have a VIN number stamped onto the chassis somewhere and this being tampered with or ground off is the main sign of the car having a dodgy history. If they can't/won't show you this then think again. It will be displayed in the handbook where it is so it shouldn't be hard to find. Other than that an HPI check isn't much and will tell you if it's been nicked or written off in the past. That and some common sense should get you a good car.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't bother with the RAC check either, as I know what to look for on cars which I am interested in. Have you not considered that perhaps your dad, despite not being an expert, has enough experience of driving and owning cars to know what to look out for?

ReputationRep:
    Ask a friend who knows a bit about cars along. I usually take along a mechanic friend as a second pair of eyes - There'll always be at least something that one of us misses
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    We've got three cars from private sellers- they've ALL been faulty.

ReputationRep:
    You dads buying himself a car, really what has it got to do with you and why are you really all that bothered?

No I wouldn't bother with an AA / RAC inspection, these are the guys that I called out to tow me home on a Sunday afternoon after my fan stopped working in the old 944 and it overheated in a massive long line of traffic, for them to tell me it was the head gasket, :rolleyes: I'm not joking either, I said look the fan has gone, I'll prove it if your that interested, seems they weren't and the car got towed home!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner_dancer)
    We've got three cars from private sellers- they've ALL been faulty.
    Pay your money, take your chance.

I always buy privately and sell privately, expect what you pay for the car basically, don't see the problem with a few bits and bobs to do myself so long as you don't pay over the odds.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, i skipped ahead of all the comments.. so if this has been mentioned oops :p:

Anyway, why not drop it into a local garage and get them to check it over. I work at a local garage and we don't even charge for check ups. Only unless work has to be done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Porscha!)
    You dads buying himself a car, really what has it got to do with you and why are you really all that bothered?
    I am all that bothered because I will be driving the car just as much as him, and I wouldn't like my dad to spend thousands if it is faulty. Might not be, but I'm just being careful.....

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.