Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dad's being such a nob about the new car... watch

ReputationRep:
    it's not an 05 plated 206 is it? lol. i know there are probably a million and one 05 plated cars, but if it's silver, and ends in OVP, it's been in a nice rear ended smash.

(Original post by learner_dancer)
    We've got three cars from private sellers- they've ALL been faulty.
    My first car was from a private seller and it was faulty - in fact it was a CAT D (had been in an accident the year purchased it). BUT saying that - I did get 4yrs run out of it until it went ''KAPUT'' on me, literally bunny hoping down the road! . .

ReputationRep:
    Be careful it isn't an autobot like Shia Labeouf's car in Transformers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    it's not an 05 plated 206 is it? lol. i know there are probably a million and one 05 plated cars, but if it's silver, and ends in OVP, it's been in a nice rear ended smash.
    haha no, its a vauxhall corsa :P It is silver though lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Porscha!)
    You dads buying himself a car, really what has it got to do with you and why are you really all that bothered?

No I wouldn't bother with an AA / RAC inspection, these are the guys that I called out to tow me home on a Sunday afternoon after my fan stopped working in the old 944 and it overheated in a massive long line of traffic, for them to tell me it was the head gasket, :rolleyes: I'm not joking either, I said look the fan has gone, I'll prove it if your that interested, seems they weren't and the car got towed home!
    :rofl: thats brilliant,
    youve got a 944 :coma:

ReputationRep:
    I found the checks to be a wasted when we got one on my mate's astra to be honest. He insisted on one despite me telling him to just take a lamp and have a look.

I sold my TF which was 2-3 years old coming up to it's first MOT and the dad buying it for his daughter wasnt even bothered about test driving it or checking it over.. fine with me!

ReputationRep:
    Just wait for it to go wrong and then jump in and say TOLD YOU SO HAHAHAHAHA. Or break something and do the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    :rofl: thats brilliant,
    youve got a 944 :coma:
    Shows theres some monkey "mechanics" out there doesn't there! :eek3: Would I let them "inspect" a future car? No way in this world LOL!

Is :coma: a good thing or a bad thing?

ReputationRep:
    There are websites that you can do a HPI check on, there's even a text service as well - get your hands on the registration and run a check on it. If there's nothing wrong with it, let your dad think he knew what he was doing, and if there is something wrong with it, take great pleasure in telling him he was wrong.

It's a win win situation.

ReputationRep:
    Shows theres some monkey "mechanics" out there doesn't there! :eek3: Would I let them "inspect" a future car? No way in this world LOL!

Is :coma: a good thing or a bad thing?
    too bloody right
    and are you kidding, you have a 944, :coma: = im jealous times a bazillion

ReputationRep:
    It's 05 Reg? And it could still be more wrecked underneath than my T reg 150k Car!

I've seen some many clocked cars it could of quite easily done 150k in 4 years!

Just get a cheapy off Ebay that you'll love not a 05 reg overpriced diaster, I don't trust anyone apart from Main Dealers and Evans Halshaw because at least you know the mileage of there vehicles has to be genuine or the media would have a frenzy.

Do a RAC Check yourself.

It's simple enough, Check tyres for cracks etc, Pedals and Steering Wheel For Wear, Discs for Scoring, Thickness of the Brake Pads, Play in the Supension Arms, Cracks in the Bumper Plastics.

Just Common sense.

P.S My dad is an idiot too

I went out and bought his BMW for him because he's a indecisive ******** and he's pleased.

Amazing what you can do with a credit card, bank details and driving licence.

Pass yourself off as a 47 year old!

xD

ReputationRep:
    too bloody right
    and are you kidding, you have a 944, :coma: = im jealous times a bazillion
    I'll say thankyou I didn't know what that smiley meant. I adore my 944, front engined Porsches are my thing!

ReputationRep:
    I'll say thankyou I didn't know what that smiley meant. I adore my 944, front engined Porsches are my thing!
    ta very much
    and WHAT! they are everyones thing, they must be

ReputationRep:
    ta very much
    and WHAT! they are everyones thing, they must be
    hehe, not everyones lol! Out of all the cars I've owned (quite a list of some much more expensive cars too) my favourite is the 944

Awesome cars, you must own one, one day

ReputationRep:
    hehe, not everyones lol! Out of all the cars I've owned (quite a list of some much more expensive cars too) my favourite is the 944

Awesome cars, you must own one, one day
    thats because its awesome I just love the shape

tbh the only car that I wish to own is a 246 Dino, thats one of my goals in life
    that 944 must cost a bomb to maintain which 944 is it?

ReputationRep:
    It's the 2.5 n/a. To keep it in tip top order (including bodywork as it's getting on a bit now lol) I'd say put aside £2K p/a and you'll keep the car mint but mechanically and cosmetically Thats if it's a daily driver (mine is )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner_dancer)
    We've got three cars from private sellers- they've ALL been faulty.
    Faulty really is a bit vague when it comes to cars.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't pay RAC either. I just took a mate who is a mechanic. There. Job done

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.