Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone NOT looking forward to their graduation ceremony? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I graduate next year and already my family are banging on about how they can't wait to come. I'm talking about extended family that I haven't even seen as well!

The ceremony just seems so formal and pompous. Daft gowns and even dafter hats. Shaking hands with the elite whilst colllecting a bit of paper.

I'm excited about graduating, just not the actual ceremony. Its not me at all. I prefer to be chilled and relaxed.

Anyone else feel the same?

ReputationRep:
    No. Not really. (That's saying I don't feel the same about what you said.)

ReputationRep:
    I'm not looking forward to mine at all. I cut off all contact with my family back at the start of May (long overdue, in my opinion). However, graduation has (obviously) been in the pipeline for years, and my Auntie has arranged for my Mum to attend.
    Now, I can't work out why my Mum would want to come, and I know that the atmosphere's going to be ridiculously tense. It's also been up to my poor Auntie to plan the day on my Mum's behalf, and decide what time to arrive with her. My sister will be coming, and it'll be nice to see her, but I see war breaking out.

If things are to go my way at all, there'll be very little discussion and my Mum will opt to leave as soon as the ceremony's over - otherwise, I predict arguments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I'm not looking forward to mine at all. I cut off all contact with my family back at the start of May (long overdue, in my opinion). However, graduation has (obviously) been in the pipeline for years, and my Auntie has arranged for my Mum to attend.
    Now, I can't work out why my Mum would want to come, and I know that the atmosphere's going to be ridiculously tense. It's also been up to my poor Auntie to plan the day on my Mum's behalf, and decide what time to arrive with her. My sister will be coming, and it'll be nice to see her, but I see war breaking out.

If things are to go my way at all, there'll be very little discussion and my Mum will opt to leave as soon as the ceremony's over - otherwise, I predict arguments.
    Can you not tell her you'd rather her not to be there? It sounds like it could ruin your day.

ReputationRep:

That is something to dread!

Well done on your 2:i though chick!

As for me, im not toooo fussed, mine is outside of the usual graduation ceremonies (should be end of march) but im just planning for my immediate family to be there

am i right in thinking you don't HAVE to attend your graduation ceremony?

ReputationRep:
    Aaah I know the feeling. You're obviously proud that you've made it through the degree but you'd probably rather celebrate in a pub..lol. But I'm sure the parents have been dreaming about this since you 'popped out'. Just grit your teeth and get through the day. You never know, you might enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Can you not tell her you'd rather her not to be there? It sounds like it could ruin your day.
    I could tell her, but despite everything I do still love her way deep down, and figure she must have reasons for wanting to attend other than to cause trouble (hopefully that she still cares a bit too).
    I did get to the point of saying that I didn't want her there, but felt guilty about it, so instead decided I wouldn't go at all - but then my Auntie begged me to because she wants to attend and get some photos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    That is something to dread!

Well done on your 2:i though chick!

As for me, im not toooo fussed, mine is outside of the usual graduation ceremonies (should be end of march) but im just planning for my immediate family to be there

Yep, dreading it, but it's just one day (and a day off work at that!), so hopefully I'll survive. And thanks for the congratulations.
    I don't understand your course, is it two years until you graduate (as in the ticker in your sig)? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Im looking forward to the graduation day itself, but just to see my family and go for a few drinks and a nice meal somewhere, and kind of 'say goodbye' to the uni as a place where I'll be going regularly. I know the actual ceremony is just a boring round of hand clapping and endless lists of names, I dont hold out much hope for me enjoying that part of it really.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm with you. I would much prefer a quick 'congratulations' without having to dress up in stupid clothes and having a whole ceremony with speeches and everything.

ReputationRep:
    Most universities should allow you to graduate in absentia; I know mine does.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, dreading it, but it's just one day (and a day off work at that!), so hopefully I'll survive. And thanks for the congratulations.
    I don't understand your course, is it two years until you graduate (as in the ticker in your sig)? :p:

march 2012..but i can't wait to qualify and be earning real money grrrr

ReputationRep:
    I've only just finished first year and already the thought of my graduation makes me want to curl up in a ball, weeping. I've no idea which parent(s) to bring (parents are divorced and both a partner). I'll either have to deeply offend one or experience the awkwardness of having to spend a whole day with the two of them together. They do get on but I cant imagine what a whole day together will result in. Theres a reason why I've only ever brought one to parents evenings and stuff like that.

Then theres the whole experience of having to go up in front of loads of people, the fuss and ughh just everything about the whole day sounds absoloutely horrific.

My idea of hell.

ReputationRep:
    I hated mine. I would prefer not to attend it but it was my mother's dream and I had to please her. I hated the pictures which were then sent to all my family, even to people I don't even know. I hated to smile in front of thousand of strangers while shaking hands. And also I hate the fact that the graduation ceremony is before A level results so, you have not clue about your future and whether you are finishing school and getting into uni or not.

ReputationRep:
    march 2012..but i can't wait to qualify and be earning real money grrrr
    I can imagine :yes:
    I know that makes it ages away, but good luck with it all the same!

ReputationRep:
    I just graduated and I felt the same. The whole ceremony is a bit silly really. And I didn't even get a hat.

ReputationRep:
    The ceremonies are dull. I've been to quite a few, and they're enough to set you to sleep. If the Vice-Chancellor makes a speech, it's inevitably crap.

ReputationRep:
    Well I really sympathise with everybody who has family complexities and so on. I have plenty of friends who had to deal with that, and it was horrid for them. I just attended my friend's graduation about two weeks ago, as he had a spare place to use up. He's at my college but in the year ahead so I got to watch exactly what my graduation ceremony will be like in advance

Essentially I'm kind of apathetic about it. Cambridge graduation ceremonies are hilarious! Firstly the graduands all walk up from their college to the Senate House (big stately University building) with the Senior Tutor and Head Porter strutting ahead in the front with their noses in the clouds. They even have trafic officers on duty to stop the cars to let the procession past :toofunny: (I'm going to enjoy that :teeth:) And then once the ceremony begins, four graduands at one time step forward and then hold the outstretched finger of the Senior Tutor in unison, and he utters something in latin. Then as their names are called they go forward to the Master of the college who's wearing a fur lined scarlet robe, and sitting on some massive throne like chair, and they kneel in front of him with their hands clasped in a prayer-gesture. The Master clasps his hands around their hands and utters something in latin. And then they scurry out the back of the building and have a surprise photograph snapped at them as they leave. I mean... come on.. its hilarious :rofl:

I didn't grow up in a posh family or anything, but I don't see why people mind traditional stuff. As long as it doesn't irrationally cut into leading a normal life (which is crap) the occasional frilly extra isn't harmful or painful or anything :dontknow: Just a bit arbitrary. I'm looking forward to the massive graduation feast we'll get the night before. Also I'm looking forward to just having a chilled out pleasant day with my family. If I get a place to stay on here and do Masters then it will probably feel a bit weird because it will be like any other year, finishing exams and coming back after the summer, except with an arbitrary random ceremony slapped onto the end. I'm also lucky in that my family are really sensible and non-sentimental. There won't be any unecessary emotional irrationality - they find unecessary boring official ceremonies just as boring as I do. It will all be nice and straightforward.
    Certainly I'll be alot more interested and emotional about my exam results, which is the only important detail of the whole thing.

I think one thing I'll be annoyed by is the University dress regulations for graduation. While we use our gowns quite a bit for formals and academic occasions throughout the year there's plenty of freedom for the sort of thing you wear to these things (for a girl I mean... for 'black tie' or 'formal' you can wear dresses/smart trousers etc) In the case of graduation they have rules about hair, jewellry, stockings, shoes.... pretty much everything :mad: I was hoping to subvert this excessiveness by sporting a pair of bright white stockings, for instance, instead of black just to stick out, but no... :no: I'll think of something :hmmmm:

So yeh... probably didn't help given the thread starter wanted to find people that aren't looking forward to it.. But yeh basically I have no objection to the ceremony, although some of the silliness will probably mildly irritate me, but I'm not looking forward to it either. Its just a boring procedure which will happen to me.

ReputationRep:
    I love a bit of ceremony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Well I really sympathise with everybody who has family complexities and so on. I have plenty of friends who had to deal with that, and it was horrid for them. I just attended my friend's graduation about two weeks ago, as he had a spare place to use up. He's at my college but in the year ahead so I got to watch exactly what my graduation ceremony will be like in advance

Essentially I'm kind of apathetic about it. Cambridge graduation ceremonies are hilarious! Firstly the graduands all walk up from their college to the Senate House (big stately University building) with the Senior Tutor and Head Porter strutting ahead in the front with their noses in the clouds. They even have trafic officers on duty to stop the cars to let the procession past :toofunny: (I'm going to enjoy that :teeth:) And then once the ceremony begins, four graduands at one time step forward and then hold the outstretched finger of the Senior Tutor in unison, and he utters something in latin. Then as their names are called they go forward to the Master of the college who's wearing a fur lined scarlet robe, and sitting on some massive throne like chair, and they kneel in front of him with their hands clasped in a prayer-gesture. The Master clasps his hands around their hands and utters something in latin. And then they scurry out the back of the building and have a surprise photograph snapped at them as they leave. I mean... come on.. its hilarious :rofl:

I didn't grow up in a posh family or anything, but I don't see why people mind traditional stuff. As long as it doesn't irrationally cut into leading a normal life (which is crap) the occasional frilly extra isn't harmful or painful or anything :dontknow: Just a bit arbitrary. I'm looking forward to the massive graduation feast we'll get the night before. Also I'm looking forward to just having a chilled out pleasant day with my family. If I get a place to stay on here and do Masters then it will probably feel a bit weird because it will be like any other year, finishing exams and coming back after the summer, except with an arbitrary random ceremony slapped onto the end. I'm also lucky in that my family are really sensible and non-sentimental. There won't be any unecessary emotional irrationality - they find unecessary boring official ceremonies just as boring as I do. It will all be nice and straightforward.
    Certainly I'll be alot more interested and emotional about my exam results, which is the only important detail of the whole thing.

I think one thing I'll be annoyed by is the University dress regulations for graduation. While we use our gowns quite a bit for formals and academic occasions throughout the year there's plenty of freedom for the sort of thing you wear to these things (for a girl I mean... for 'black tie' or 'formal' you can wear dresses/smart trousers etc) In the case of graduation they have rules about hair, jewellry, stockings, shoes.... pretty much everything :mad: I was hoping to subvert this excessiveness by sporting a pair of bright white stockings, for instance, instead of black just to stick out, but no... :no: I'll think of something :hmmmm:

So yeh... probably didn't help given the thread starter wanted to find people that aren't looking forward to it.. But yeh basically I have no objection to the ceremony, although some of the silliness will probably mildly irritate me, but I'm not looking forward to it either. Its just a boring procedure which will happen to me.
    omgod how long did it take you to write all that :toofunny:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.