Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone NOT looking forward to their graduation ceremony? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bansheeee*)
    omgod how long did it take you to write all that :toofunny:
    Not long. I'm an extremely fast typist.

ReputationRep:
    My mom saw the woman my dad was having an affair with at my graduation. My grandfather (on my dad's side, and obviously confused) waved her down in front of my mom.

They then all left right after the ceremony finished for home and I was left there by myself surrounded by all these happy families taking pictures.

It sucked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    I graduate next year and already my family are banging on about how they can't wait to come. I'm talking about extended family that I haven't even seen as well!

The ceremony just seems so formal and pompous. Daft gowns and even dafter hats. Shaking hands with the elite whilst colllecting a bit of paper.

I'm excited about graduating, just not the actual ceremony. Its not me at all. I prefer to be chilled and relaxed.

Anyone else feel the same?
    Maybe you will get more excited when the new year starts and that day is finally coming closer than ever, why are you not happy as most people get all full of enjoyment even in their first year of studies with 2 more years to go of waiting and imagining that big day, unless you are not fully satifised with the course, uni choice.

Part from the wedding day lol that is the biggest day of your life achievement.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I'm really not that bothered about it either, I'd rather not have one, but I feel kind of forced in to it by friends and family as it's seen the thing to do. To me it just seem's like a money making scheme.

Do your uni's charge for tickets to the ceremony?

ReputationRep:
    My uni doesn't charge for tickets, fortunately.

Additional fun for mine now. My auntie got in touch last night, and told me how my brother was devastated that I didn't invite him, and that he thought I didn't love him or want him there.
    Truth is, I'd love him to be there, but he's 15 years old so I assumed it'd be his idea of a living nightmare and didn't bother to invite him.

I'm giving him my best friend's ticket (though it would've been nice to have my best friend there for support) but have no way of letting him know. Bring on Saturday when it's all over! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Fun characters you see at graduation ceremonies...

- The Embarrasing Parent. Some parents can't keep it in when they see their child up on stage receiving his/her certificate, so you hear mothers giving crazed whoops of delight, I heard one shout "Son, we're so proud of you" accompanied by a big "aaaaah from the audience and a giggle"

- The Divorced Parents. Haven't seen your wife for five years since she ran out on you with the milkman...? Well here's the chance for reunion at your daughters graduation, and a chance to catch up with said milkman. Expect arguments about everything to do with seating arrangements, where to get food, what to do afterwards, who should be in what photos and who should be holding the camera

- The foxy sister. Sunny weather and formal occasions tends to bring a bit of totty out of its hiding place. Short dresses and university steps/gardens are a recipe for upskirts - as seen by the occasional gathering of Dads in a random spot straight opposite a sultry brunette sat on the steps.

- The celebrity. There's usually one, the more prestigious the University the more there will be. Keep your eyes peeled for newsreaders, Cabinet Ministers and football managers.

- The lad who didn't make the effort. Yes you are supposed to wear something smart under the gown, jeans don't count even if they're black.

- The paparazzi. Trying to walk down the University steps or past the old-ish looking buildings? This is what it feels like to be Paris Hilton and Ronaldo coming out of a nightclub surrounded by camera flashes.

- The wailer. Most of us kid ourselves that in the modern era of facebook we will 'keep in touch' with all our fellow graduates. The odd girl will realise that she won't see 99% of these people again and will be sobbing all through the Vice Chancellors speech.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I just graduated and I felt the same. The whole ceremony is a bit silly really. And I didn't even get a hat.
    I don't get to wear one either

-x-

ReputationRep:
    My graduation is tomorrow, can't wait

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad I went, but it was boring as hell. A whole bunch of queueing for photos, then sitting listening to speeches for about 2 hours,then about another 2 hours whilst everyone went up to get their manuscript one by one. I also felt like a tool in my robe and hat; apparently I looked like harry potter.

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait, but I'll fall over lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I just graduated and I felt the same. The whole ceremony is a bit silly really. And I didn't even get a hat.
    I know in some universities (all the ones in Ireland anyway) only the girls get to wear the hat - and thats because traditionally it was a cap on our education - men could continue on but after graduation, women should be getting married and having babies apparently:o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mickeyfit)
    I know in some universities (all the ones in Ireland anyway) only the girls get to wear the hat - and thats because traditionally it was a cap on our education - men could continue on but after graduation, women should be getting married and having babies apparently:o:
    The reason for not wearing hats at Bristol is almost the opposite to that. Bristol was one of the first unis to allow women to study and a lot of men weren't happy about it. In protest they threw their hats at the women so the university banned the hats from graduation. Not sure how true it is, but that's how the story goes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    The reason for not wearing hats at Bristol is almost the opposite to that. Bristol was one of the first unis to allow women to study and a lot of men weren't happy about it. In protest they threw their hats at the women so the university banned the hats from graduation. Not sure how true it is, but that's how the story goes.
    I much prefer the Bristol reason!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Not looking forward to mine, just because of how much of a rip off it is. As well as having had to pay £15 for the privilege of attending my own graduation ceremony and £25 per guest, I had to pay (I think) £36 to hire the stupid pointless robes and hat, and that's before travel costs / lunch even comes into it. Sorry to be a scrooge, but the whole thing strikes me as a pointless tradition which exists only because it exists. And because people like me who think it's ridiculous will still go just to keep the family happy and to get that inane picture to stick on the mantlepiece. Ugh!

I swear I'll just walk out if the Provost starts going on about how successful UCL graduates are

We spend a ridicolous amount of time poncing around in gowns as it is. Im getting my 2nd gown for next year, with 2 years still to go in my degree... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    We spend a ridicolous amount of time poncing around in gowns as it is. Im getting my 2nd gown for next year, with 2 years still to go in my degree... :p:
    Reading that, I immediately thought "Durham or Oxford!"

:p:

ReputationRep:
    Ive got a dilema. I can either go to my graduation or go to camp (CCUSA). But weighing up the pros and cons, i think ill go to camp. Id love to go to my graduation ceremony, but camp seems so much more fun (and would probably be the last time i could go).
    So yeah... im not looking forward to graduation, because im not going

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    I graduate next year and already my family are banging on about how they can't wait to come. I'm talking about extended family that I haven't even seen as well!

The ceremony just seems so formal and pompous. Daft gowns and even dafter hats. Shaking hands with the elite whilst colllecting a bit of paper.

I'm excited about graduating, just not the actual ceremony. Its not me at all. I prefer to be chilled and relaxed.

Anyone else feel the same?
    Don't go then. It's a whole lot of nothing anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have my graduation ceremony until January :curious: so I have a while before I need to worry about all of that.

(Original post by x.Crystal.x)
    Ive got a dilema. I can either go to my graduation or go to camp (CCUSA). But weighing up the pros and cons, i think ill go to camp. Id love to go to my graduation ceremony, but camp seems so much more fun (and would probably be the last time i could go).
    So yeah... im not looking forward to graduation, because im not going
    Do you not get to choose your graduation date?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.