Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone NOT looking forward to their graduation ceremony? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    Do you not get to choose your graduation date?
    Nope, it only can be deferred under exceptional circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Extended family? Wow, are you allowed more than 2 or 3 tickets? I'm not

I'm quite looking forward to it but I got a 2.ii, which I'm really proud about!!! But I'm worried that everyone on my course will have done better and that will make my Mum moan at me :rolleyes: Even though I'm the first person in my family to even get A levels.

Hopefully we'll go off for a nice little gathering after and I can feel proud :bigsmile:

ReputationRep:
    I just graduated last week and I felt the same beforehand. And mummy also felt like every other mummy there lol It was ok on the day. For half of it though, I was wishing I had brought a book with me. Boring!!!!! The same soppy speech by 4 different people. Yeah, we know, we're fabulous and will go on to change the world and being graduates is so much more amazing today than it was yesterday, blah blah blah. I think a lot of students there felt the same lol At least I got some nice pics though and got to see mum and dad for a few days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    I graduate next year and already my family are banging on about how they can't wait to come. I'm talking about extended family that I haven't even seen as well!
    The ceremony just seems so formal and pompous. Daft gowns and even dafter hats. Shaking hands with the elite whilst colllecting a bit of paper.

I'm excited about graduating, just not the actual ceremony. Its not me at all. I prefer to be chilled and relaxed.

Anyone else feel the same?
    Your family do realise you can only get a certain number of tickets dont they? At my uni youre allocated 2 to buy then if any extra you can buy upto 2 more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Your family do realise you can only get a certain number of tickets dont they? At my uni youre allocated 2 to buy then if any extra you can buy upto 2 more.
    I've tried telling them this. However they are sure that both parents, both grandparents, my auntie & uncle, another uncle and a brother will be able to get tickets.

I think we're allowed 4 tickets.

:o:

ReputationRep:
    Reading that, I immediately thought "Durham or Oxford!"

:p:
    True :sadnod: Cambridge students just wear the damn things :p:

ReputationRep:
    I've tried telling them this. However they are sure that both parents, both grandparents, my auntie & uncle, another uncle and a brother will be able to get tickets.

I think we're allowed 4 tickets.

:o:
    Print it out from the uni website and explain that hundreds of students graduate at the same time so itd be impossible to have a whole family for everyone in a venue without half the people there complaining that they couldnt see anything. Pity for them to make unrealistic plans.

ReputationRep:
    I had mine today and it was just a lot of clapping, embarrassing picture taking and me worrying that my hat is going to fall off (I have a dodgy shaped head and no hat fit properly!)

Was OK though, and I hadn't been sad about leaving before but it hit me a bit today ;-(

Soooo much clapping though! Best bit was the start where the camera men broadcast random people in the audience/graduates to the front screens. Was quite funny how people react differently hehe

I haven't really thought about it (then again i only finished first year :o:). its only me, my brother and my mum anyway so its not like ill be embarrassed by a massive congregation of family.

ReputationRep:
    I quite enjoyed mine, it was a bit boring as I only had a couple of friends on my actual course and all my other friends graduated on different days. Half of the ceremony was in Welsh too. My main concern was tripping up the steps onto the stage, or that when we bowed our heads at the Vice-Chancellor my cap would fall off. As for family, I was spared any awkwardness between divorced parents as my uni was a bit far for my mum to travel too. She can come to my next one lol.

ReputationRep:
    Just got back from my graduation, and I survived it! Yay.
    Felt sorry for a poor girl who walked on stage to loud 'piggy' noises from a member of the audience...
    Was near-impossible getting the mortarboard to stay on, though...

I graduate next year and already my family are banging on about how they can't wait to come. I'm talking about extended family that I haven't even seen as well!

The ceremony just seems so formal and pompous. Daft gowns and even dafter hats. Shaking hands with the elite whilst colllecting a bit of paper.

I'm excited about graduating, just not the actual ceremony. Its not me at all. I prefer to be chilled and relaxed.

Anyone else feel the same?
    When you are a parent - and if you have a child who through your efforts and support during the years before and during school manages to achieve a degree- you will feel the same sense of excitement and pride in those achievement because the child is part of you.

Graduations are all about the parents who facilitated this day...don't deny them the joy, the pride and the 'showing you off to all their extended family... in seeing you all dressed up and receiving your degree certificate amongst much pomp and circumstance...if it weren't for them, you might not even be there.

Remember folks...Graduation Day is al about the parents, not the students!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    When you are a parent - and if you have a child who through your efforts and support during the years before and during school manages to achieve a degree- you will feel the same sense of excitement and pride in those achievement because the child is part of you.

Graduations are all about the parents who facilitated this day...don't deny them the joy, the pride and the 'showing you off to all their extended family... in seeing you all dressed up and receiving your degree certificate amongst much pomp and circumstance...if it weren't for them, you might not even be there.

Remember folks...Graduation Day is al about the parents, not the students!
    Thats whats wrong with some parents, it is about the student - their achievements. Some parents do as much as possible so their child does well but it doesnt matter unless the child puts in the effort. Graduating is for the child and the parents enjoy showing them off but making it all about the family is a ridiculously antiquated idea. You should reward those who got the degree and as with any other celebration about someone else it should be in the style they prefer.

ReputationRep:
    I was absolutely dreading my graduation ceremony. However, I went to it and loved it! I am so glad that I went. I got my degree parchment that day and had my picture taken wearing my BA(hons) gown and hood. My mother and sisters had a great day out to(even though it rained a lot that day).
    At Strathclyde you carry your hood over your left arm, cross the stage bend your knee to the principal who 'caps' you and the Secretary of the university gives you your degree parchment while another officer puts your hood on over your head. Then you do what is called 'the lap of honour' walking back to your seat by circumnavigating the Barony Church.
    A few seconds stress on the stage is more than cancelled out by having a picture of your graduation for the rest of your life. You will really regret it later on if you don't go.

If you are still not sure about going, just remember everyone just really wants to see their son or daughter graduate. Only your family will pay close attention to you, for the rest, you are just a name or a face in a crowd, and they won't pay much attention to you.

ReputationRep:
    I graduate next year and i'm dreading it allready.
    None of my friends are on my course so I won't have anyone to talk to in the mingley bit afterwards. My parents live really far away, it would take them two days of travelling to get here and would cost a fortune, and then there's the cost of hiring the gown etc, and to be honest I would rather save the money and spend it on something else. The whole ceremony and tradition of the thing doesn't really mean anything to me, and my brother and sister are students too so it's not like this is the only chance my parents will ever get to see any of us gradute.
    So I don't think I will bother with it, If my parents kick up a fuss I can always borrow a friends gown and cap for 5 minutes and get a photo of me dressed up, and then when I next go home we can go out for a family dinner to celebrate.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.