Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been with my bank, First Direct, for three or four years now. In late January, I received a letter from them telling me that they had reviewed my overdraft (I'm sure that this letter said the review was annual - though I can't guarantee that now), and that this review, resulting in my overdraft staying exactly the same, had cost me £25.

I wasn't sure about what I was reading at the time, as it seemed ridiculous, but a few weeks later the money went from my account and I resigned myself to the fact that I could expect an annual charge of £25 - something that I could be prepared for even if I didn't agree with paying for the privilege of the review at all.

I've just returned home to find a letter from my bank today, stating that they've reviewed my overdraft again and that 'all formal overdraft facilities now last for a maximum of 12 months'. Essentially, they'll be taking £25 off me again at the start of August, without giving me even a full month to find the spare money (the same issue as last time), because I've had more than one review in less than six months.

Obviously I'm massively annoyed - what the bank are essentially saying is that they can take £25 off me at any time, as it pleases them, with two weeks' notice, under the pretence of reviewing my overdraft limit. Problem is, I don't feel like I can do a thing about it - for a start, I'm very OCD-minded and budget conscious, so I have nine bank accounts to organise my money and wouldn't want to go back to having a smaller number since this system works for me. Perhaps worse though, is that I can't GET bank accounts with any other bank because I have a bad credit rating (though I can't work out why!).

For the above reasons, I'm not sure why I'm posting - perhaps just to rant and see if anyone else has a similar situation with their bank, or if you're with First Direct and experiencing the same problems?

ReputationRep:
    Charging £25 to review your account seems very unfair.

I should make a post on Martin Lewis's Forum - perhaps he will take up your cause.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/

Martin has some advice

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/first-direct

ReputationRep:
    I managed to have a discussion online with someone from Natwest, and they've promised me I can have the stupidly high number of accounts I want and have let me have a savings and a current account to start with, so I've been able to switch banks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I managed to have a discussion online with someone from Natwest, and they've promised me I can have the stupidly high number of accounts I want and have let me have a savings and a current account to start with, so I've been able to switch banks.
    Well done. Don't let the banks get away with it.

I want to see some bankers in prison!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve2005)
    Well done. Don't let the banks get away with it.

I want to see some bankers in prison!
    Hehe, thanks. Just grateful I can get what I need elsewhere. I'd established myself with First Direct over the years and didn't think any other bank would offer me as much as I wanted.
    It's a shame. First Direct were such a good bank when they started, but I'll be glad to get away now. Just need to wait a while, set up all those accounts, and get transferring...

ReputationRep:
    Have you spoken to someone at FD? I've never heard of a bank charging for an overdraft review and getting charged £25 a go is unfair. It's something that should be easily reversed.

ReputationRep:
    9 bank accounts - all with FD?

Why dont you just have 1 bank acount (or a couple) and roganise your money on a spreadsheet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyT)
    Have you spoken to someone at FD? I've never heard of a bank charging for an overdraft review and getting charged £25 a go is unfair. It's something that should be easily reversed.
    After I realised what they'd done the first time, I contacted them then. I remember that the woman just said it was 'policy', though I'm sure at the time I was told it was an annual review, not a 'whenever-we-feel-like-it' one. Perhaps I wouldn't mind so much if it changed, but for them to charge me £25 for nothing at all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    9 bank accounts - all with FD?

Why dont you just have 1 bank acount (or a couple) and roganise your money on a spreadsheet?
    Of course I do use spreadsheets, but also like to have my money separated completely. It helps me really keep track.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.