Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Has it been done before? Can it be done?

ReputationRep:
    No idea.. you could probably get away with stick insects though. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    You could probably get away with a Hamster :P But bigger animals like dogs and cats I doubt it haha :P

ReputationRep:
    Can I bring an Iguana?

ReputationRep:
    You might get away with sea monkeys.

ReputationRep:
    The boys downstairs from me had goldfish - they came to stay with us when they got inspected

If it's something small in a cage in your bedroom you'd probably be ok. As long as you're in a hall where bedrooms don't get cleaned...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I really wanted a kitten. ****.

ReputationRep:
    My Uni accommodation lets us have fish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner_dancer)
    I really wanted a kitten. ****.
    Oh dear Lord... *facepalm*
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Oh dear Lord... *facepalm*
    I wasn't being 100% serious.

ReputationRep:
    My friend has a rabbit and just takes it to her friends when there's an inspection,so potentially you could get away with it.

ReputationRep:
    A few of my friends had stick insects.

Someone had a hamster, but i think it was kept hidden from cleaners etc.

They're not allowed anywhere that i know of so its prob easier to just wait 'till second year really. Some people find it hard enough to look after themselves let alone a pet aswell during freshers.

ReputationRep:
    If it's a hamster or fish or something you'd probably get away with it. I wouldn't bother trying to take anything else. Or just wait until you move out.

ReputationRep:
    A kitten could be a problem...... I have a registered assistance dog, and I've had to jump through a few hoops. If you have another student in your flat/section thats allergic, and you havent asked first, youre inviting trouble. On the other hand, if you ask special permission who knows? But ask yourself this first. Student life can be hectic. Going out and coming in at all different hours.

Animals need routine, and especially young animals -kittens,puppies etc need lots of attention. Also can you afford to feed,vaccinate,sterilise,deworm and then also cover vet bills in an emergency. Also halls can be noisy and disruptive to their emotional wellbeing

I have thought of leaving my dog at home, because the reduction in living space, combined with the attention she attracts, can stress her out terribly, and she's trained to remain calm.

having had all kinds of pets, I would recommend a hamster/gerbil, theyre quiet, dont disturb anyone are easy to look after and deffo give back the love you give.

Wait till youre a year or two down and living in private accomodation, then get your kitten. He'll thank you for it.

ReputationRep:
    i kept a panda and noone noticed, our halls weren't cleaned though so it was a bit easier, and i locked him in the bathroom when people would come over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zdo0o)
    i kept a panda and noone noticed, our halls weren't cleaned though so it was a bit easier, and i locked him in the bathroom when people would come over
    Poor thing. I would show it off to everyone who came to visit.

ReputationRep:
    My friend kept fish and the cleaners didn't mind. Oh, and Byron had a bear, so maybe worth a try?

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't imagine bringing a kitten to uni...

It would be quite nice actually if you were doing a house share and the little kitty could go out for a wee wee.

ReputationRep:
    Byron had a bear.

ReputationRep:
    haha, am so taking a doberman (Y)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.