Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am not implying anything but do the reputation of the university affect my employment prospects of being employed as a doctor?

Given that I work very hard (which I definitely will), do hospital management care about what university I applied to as an undergraduate? Or do they care only after the foundation year?

Lastly, after graduating from the university abroad, do all countries accredit medicine university courses endorsed by the GMC?

Please help thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hospital management within the NHS don't even know which school you trained at, let alone care. Even when they did know, your undergraduate education matters far less than what you have done after that.

Overseas it's a different matter, British trained doctors are not automatically qualified to work in most countries outside of Europe and Australasia, most places have some form of qualifying assessment or examination. Employment over there is a different matter, I understand that for some places simply being trained in the UK is enough, I'm sure some will care where you trained but I would expect most to understand that UG education is not the most important factor in the 'quality' of a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Hospital management within the NHS don't even know which school you trained at, let alone care. Even when they did know, your undergraduate education matters far less than what you have done after that.

Overseas it's a different matter, British trained doctors are not automatically qualified to work in most countries outside of Europe and Australasia, most places have some form of qualifying assessment or examination. Employment over there is a different matter, I understand that for some places simply being trained in the UK is enough, I'm sure some will care where you trained but I would expect most to understand that UG education is not the most important factor in the 'quality' of a doctor.
    Does anyone know more about how the course at Keele University is accredited? I think that the first 3 years are accredited by the GMC but not the 4th and 5th year. So what does that mean?

From the Keele website it says

"Keele is currently undergoing a series of visits from the GMC team, with the purpose of validating our new curriculum.
    The GMC have stated that "Keele is an established medical school that, having delivered courses leading to a Manchester primary medical degree, now wishes to award its own degrees from 2012."'

Do the GMC periodically validate the curriculum from different universities or is it just Keele? What happens if it is not accredited?!?!?!?!?

Also adding on from what Renal said, does postgraduate (i.e. Foundation years/specializing) only depend on what grade you got your degree and not WHAT UNIVERSITY you studied at?

Thanks!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catchetat)
    Also adding on from what Renal said, does postgraduate (i.e. Foundation years/specializing) only depend on what grade you got your degree and not WHAT UNIVERSITY you studied at?
    It does not matter WHAT MEDICAL SCHOOL you go to, it matters, for the foundation years at least, where you come within your cohort (since we don't have degree classifications). However, with national finals appearing at some point, almost certainly before you would finish, this is all going to be up in the air.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't there only a 6 point difference between the top quartile and the bottom quartile anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueRoses)
    Isn't there only a 6 point difference between the top quartile and the bottom quartile anyway?
    At the moment yes. Who knows what they will come up with next year.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. 40, 38, 36 and 34 out 100 respectively.

However, those in the top quartile are often those who've gone on to do well get intercalated degrees, prizes and publications.

ReputationRep:
    what is national finals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    It does not matter WHAT MEDICAL SCHOOL you go to, it matters, for the foundation years at least, where you come within your cohort (since we don't have degree classifications). However, with national finals appearing at some point, almost certainly before you would finish, this is all going to be up in the air.
    As in identical finals taken by all med students? When is this going to happen. (+source)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t3h_y0u553f)
    As in identical finals taken by all med students? When is this going to happen. (+source)
    Yes. It was supposed to happen for 2009/10 put has been put back because of apparent dispute over the content and format (jokingly Oxbridge were worried that their students wouldn't comfortably trash everyone else if it followed the Tomorrow's Doctors script ). It will however come in at some point in the next few years, I'm told there's a lot of high level support for it.

Source is student bmj, student bma news and various surreptitious conversation in dark and dingy pubs.

ReputationRep:
    What will that mean for the rest of us, will we be nationally ranked..?! :eek:

Better keep the extracurrics on the go so....

ReputationRep:
    What will that mean for the rest of us, will we be nationally ranked..?! :eek:
    I think so, I understand that it will remain in quartiles.

Just remember though; what do you call the person who graduates bottom of their class at medical school?

Doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I think so, I understand that it will remain in quartiles.

Just remember though; what do you call the person who graduates bottom of their class at medical school?

Doctor.
    Haha yeah I like that. Will we find out our overall ranking? It'd be pretty cool to say you came top of the nation, although I don't really see it coming my way

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah I like that. Will we find out our overall ranking? It'd be pretty cool to say you came top of the nation, although I don't really see it coming my way
    It'll go to some idiot with glasses, and probably body odour, who hopefully will have enough sense to never go near a real patient.

ReputationRep:
    what is the point of doing a national one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ledleyking123)
    what is the point of doing a national one?
    It's a good idea in theory I think, I just don't really want to have to go through it!

This way it would be a fair way of assessing the teaching and work standards of EVERYONE, encouraging unis and students to pull their socks up etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    would the results appear in the paper then and would it apply to people who are in the middle of their courses now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Yes. It was supposed to happen for 2009/10 put has been put back because of apparent dispute over the content and format (jokingly Oxbridge were worried that their students wouldn't comfortably trash everyone else if it followed the Tomorrow's Doctors script ). It will however come in at some point in the next few years, I'm told there's a lot of high level support for it.

Source is student bmj, student bma news and various surreptitious conversation in dark and dingy pubs.
    Oh that's good, I'm slightly surprised that this hasn't already happened. Surely this is the easiest and most foolproof way of making sure every med school is working at the same standard.

Btw, what is "tomorrow's doctors script" lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t3h_y0u553f)
    Btw, what is "tomorrow's doctors script" lol.
    Tomorrows Doctors was the report published in '99 by the GMC that originated the 'new' curriculums - the widespread use of PBL, integrated courses, systems based courses, they all really start from there. The traditional universities are only traditional because they've limited the amount of GMC recommendations (and directives) that they've implemented.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ledleyking123)
    would the results appear in the paper then and would it apply to people who are in the middle of their courses now?
    No, your results are "Pass" or "Fail". It could easily apply to people in the middle of their courses now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.