Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about how somebody would come up with a new song the other night, when i thought, what if all the possible musical combination of notes are used up?

Say in 100 years time, is all new music simply going to be versions of old music? Surely there comes a point where the possiblilities for new music end, the combinations are large but not infinite.

Sorry to depress, but on a different note, KILLERS live at T in the Park front row= AMAZING.

ReputationRep:
    ive thought of this before, but more probable in like a thousand years.
    The combinations/permutations or whatever, infinitely possible...which just contradicted my own argument lol.

ReputationRep:
    Upon that time, we start the glorious practice of sampling.

Oh wait.

ReputationRep:
    Well there must be a lot of music you haven't listened to, so you'll never run out of things to hear

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think it is possible... its not just notes, its the rhythm section, background drone too, it is impossible to make any two peices of music sound the same, the possibilities are infinite, like numbers.

And anyway, lighten up, geez. It's Summer.

ReputationRep:
    All the possible notes and chord combinations have already been used long time ago, from the purely theoretical point of view. Mind you, we're not talking about discords here. In fact there is very limited amount of chords that progress pleasantly to the human ear, just like there is a very limited amount of notes that sound good together.

But, at the same time, synthesis allows us to have almost endless ways of creating new sounds :awesome:

So, yeah, most of the notes and possible combinations have been played, it's more about searching for new timbres, for new qualities of already-existing notes/chords etc., than anything else. Hence the experimentation with sound processing/filtering, various types of effects, Auto-Tune being applied to whatever possible etc. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    You're forgetting the vocals which is just as important as the melody (maybe more)

ReputationRep:
    Rhythms, Sounds and genre still will change

ReputationRep:
    Even if it ever happened that doesnt mean the end of music as we know it.
    Its the same with fasion- things (styles) come back from years ago. They are modified, modernised and changed to suit modern tastes. On top of which, theres so much amazing music out there, people arent just suddenly going to stop listening to it

ReputationRep:
    I understand all of your points, but do you think it is possible there will be a point where it impossible to create a very innovative piece of music because its all already been done?

ReputationRep:
    It's a weird thing to think about, actually.

I don't reckon so - there'd be some new invention by the time all the combinations were used which'd mean new notes or something!

I've thought about this before, and it's odd.

But, you could say, well not really! After all, the combinations are vast! Not just notes that could be different, take into account instruments, vocals, rhythms etc.

If there is a 'limit' to a music, then it certainly isn't within our lifetime, or that of our children's..:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    We have instruments they didn't have 100 years ago so likely in another 100 years we will have newer one's. Guess we just have to wait and see!

ReputationRep:
    Music has been going for thousands of years, most notably in the last few hundred years, but I'm sure it will never run out as it were. I mean if that were so there would be many songs around today that sounded replicas of other songs, and that doesn't really happen. It will never go as long as imagination and brains remain.

ReputationRep:
    Concepts change, music will never die

(Original post by danadd9)
    Concepts change, music will never die
    What does that even mean?

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's meaning that different styles come and go and new ones come through ... I mean motown is one example of music that is unlikely to ever return but was very recognisable.

ReputationRep:
    We just extend songs to 8 minutes and this allows for infinitely more combinations. New sounds will probably be discovered.

ReputationRep:
    oh this is a good thread, i have always wondered about the different tunes and beats, and in years to come, will the music sound like old music? interesting indeed....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 73337)
    What does that even mean?
    Modal Jazz is an example; until that point most music focused on a completely harmonic framework of mind, 'this chord progression fits well' etc, and then this style came into birth and paid more attention to the melodic aspect of music. There would be something like two chords in a song overall and it gave musicians more freedom than what they previously expected.

John Cage and Ornette Coleman's concepts serve as another; Cage's piece 4'33" involves no music whatsoever, it is 4 minutes and 33 seconds of listening to your environment. He used the Eastern philosophy of being completely aware of your surroundings rather than involve yourself in what's thought of as 'everyday life'.

And ofc Ornette was a big figure in Free Jazz, and something which grew important in his music was the idea of dissonance. Musicians and listeners alike grow up with the idea that it should evoke an emotion and should have some kind of melody, so a musician spends his life chasing melodies. Ornette took the other route of creating music which , to the common listener, isn't pleasant at all. Complete noise.

(Other artists go moar mathematical and plant out a beat which follows a complex sequence.)

Ideas are infinite.
    Following that; human understanding changes, and this understanding will be felt in music. New musical ideas will never die.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.