Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Afternoon all, I've been debating for the past months on what to do at University and I know have two choices Maths or Computer Science, or anything else that you think would be appropriate for me.

My GCSEs were 3A* 9A 2C and 1 Dist*

I'm not sure of my AS levels yet but most probably:

Maths A
    IT A
    Spanish A
    Physics A/B
    Further Maths << taking AS next year

I really do love maths but I also love computers. Are there any other subjects I could do? What universitys could I apply for with these grades?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say computer science. It probably has better career options, unless you really like maths, and possibly like the idea of teaching.

ReputationRep:
    You're grades are good so you've got a wide range, but i've heard a lot of thing about Computer science so i would rather go for maths. There's combined courses such as Computer science with maths, but again i'm not too sure on that either.

ReputationRep:
    With those A-levels, you may not be able to get into the top unis for Maths because you don't do Further Maths, unless your school doesn't offer it. You could do some form of Engineering? Or if you really wanna do Maths/Compsci, why not apply for a joint maths and compsci course then change to straight math or straihgt computing once you have tried a bit of both?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Erm Maths AND computer science.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I've forgot to mention that I'll be taking Further Maths AS next year but will be self teaching as my school doesn't offer it. I would hate to go into teaching, I have little patience (awful, I know). I was thinking of working in London after doing maths, if possible. Are there many CompSci grads? Too many? Haha, Maths and CompSci is a possibility too, actually, a very good choice.

I'm willing to go down the engineering route too, Mechanical probably, maybe Electrical.

*edits first post*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcp2)
    Afternoon all, I've been debating for the past months on what to do at University and I know have two choices Maths or Computer Science, or anything else that you think would be appropriate for me.
    Do you have any idea what you'd like to do career-wise ?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, to tell the truth I don't know what I want to do. Like I said, I would like to work in London, maybe as a Quantitative Analyst (statistical), however working as a programmer and then leading up to becoming a manager of sorts sounds interesting too.

Working in F1 as an engineer could also be another career choice, however, I haven't looked into this as much.

Say I get an A in Further Maths AS, what unis could I realistically get into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcp2)
    Say I get an A in Further Maths AS, what unis could I realistically get into?
    Any, I would say, if you get the A in physics (and perhaps if not, although it's not so obvious then).

Mathematics and computer science might be the best way to keep your options open - especially if you choose a course that leaves you a fair bit of flexibility later on, so you can end up doing more maths or more computer science if you prefer one, or indeed switch completely. But you would need to check that the maths part of the course included all the statistical stuff, as some only let you do pure maths.

(Original post by Magical Moogles)
    You would essentially split your study time 50/50 between the two subjects - but beware the workload is said to be huge :eek: My brother does Maths and Computer Science, and he says its more like 75% of each subject - I guess it depends what university you are thinking of going to.
    I haven't found the workload to be overly bad. In my uni I'd say it's about equal to the maths students, so yes, it does depend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner_dancer)
    Erm Maths AND computer science.
    But JMC is a ***** of a course to do.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by maxfire)
    But JMC is a ***** of a course to do.
    My mum did a Maths degree and THEN a Comp Sci one...
    That could always be a choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impervious)
    I'd say computer science. It probably has better career options, unless you really like maths, and possibly like the idea of teaching.
    please don't labour under the delusion that a maths degree only leads to being a maths teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner_dancer)
    My mum did a Maths degree and THEN a Comp Sci one...
    That could always be a choice?
    Good idea, but really long, don't you think? 7-8 years in uni is too much imho.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I don't have the finance to go to uni twice, barely even afford it once!

I think it may be the course for me. Thanks for the help guys, now just to pick the unis and get the grades

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.