Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering what it is like doing this in the UK...

I've moved to Canada for a year, and am working as a 'server' as they call it. I don't like it much but the money is good (due to tips).

So anyone here work as one? Where do you work, how much do you get paid, do you get many tips, and did you need experience to get the job?

ReputationRep:
    i'm a waiter. its ok, you always meet new people, but where i work they are all SUPER old. Money is quite shabba £4.77/h but like you said, the money comes from tips i can get £50 a month in tips, but i only work 2 nights a week, which aint bad. its annoying though, because if anything is wrong like kitchen send out wrong stuff etc, it's always your fault and you are the face on the restaurant even though all you actually do is take food to people.

ReputationRep:
    That is such low money!!! I take it you are under 21... how unfair, sometimes you end up busting your bum for some people and that is all you get. I don't think I would do it for that wage, poor you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I use to work in a cafe, I got £6 an hour but I was doing a supervisor role. I enjoyed the job sometimes getting along with staff and customers but I found it was quite hard work constantly on your feet and a lot of running around as the cafe was very big with an outside area. The tips we got were shared and distributed monthly usually it worked out to be 50p an hour but if you work in a restaurant you can get a lot more.

Usually most places will look for people with experience so you may struggle. When they are looking for staff they are looking for someone who is confident really, it's not that difficult to pick up.

Usually our place ran about 50p - £1 an hour above minimum wage.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    My friend is a waitress and she is on the verge of quitting because she can't handle it any more. Another friend works in a bar and serves drinks as well as taking orders for food... She hates it too. Too much pressure to do things quickly. They don't get paid that much I might add and tips are split between everyone from what I hear.

ReputationRep:
    I get £6 an hour doing it.
    I quite enjoy it cos I love the place I work, but it's so tiring

ReputationRep:
    I'm a waitress, I earn £4.77 an hour for around 7-8 hours but receive tips of at least £10 each day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly)
    Just wondering what it is like doing this in the UK...

I've moved to Canada for a year, and am working as a 'server' as they call it. I don't like it much but the money is good (due to tips).

So anyone here work as one? Where do you work, how much do you get paid, do you get many tips, and did you need experience to get the job?
    I work at Pizza Hut, am paid £5.90 p/h, get about £20 a shift on average and no I needed no work experience.

ReputationRep:
    well you give peoples food to them, whats to like about it you might aswell smack them on the face with their dinner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    I work at Pizza Hut, am paid £5.90 p/h, get about £20 a shift on average and no I needed no work experience.
    Sorry for this belated reply. May I ask how you went about gaining a job at Pizza Hut ?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.