Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maquillage)
    Have you ever tried it?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princesschickenbelly)
    I'm getting contact lenses (monthlies) for the first time at the end of the month and I'd just like some information.

1. Are they uncomfortable when you first start using them/for sometime after you start using them?

2. I have long nails. Is this going to be a problem with putting them in and taking them out?

3. How long can I leave them in for? If I get home drunk and fall asleep before taking them out am I in danger of damaging my eyes?

4. Am I in danger or damaging my eyes just by using contact lenses?

And any other helpful information contact lens wearers can give me.

Thanks
    1) Yes, they are uncomfortable when you first start using them. You start using them for 10 mins on your first day, then an hour, then four, then eight hours and so on and so forth, but once you get used to them, they don't hurt at all.

2) Yes, long nails are an issue because if your lenses are soft lenses (which they might be), it might tear your lens and it is going to be of no use if that happens. You don't have to have mega-short nails but keep them blunt for personal hygeine anyway.

3) Leave them on overnight or 6-8 hours atleast. If you come home drunk and fall asleep, you are in risk of becoming blind through fungal infections. My dad is an eye doctor (opthalmologist) and I wear lenses and he told me that the contact lens cuts out air supply to your eye with your eyes shut so overnight, you eye gets no hydration and no air so as a result, next morning, your eyes will sting loads, become really red and really itch, and you will find that the lens shrivells up into this ugly little thing.

4) Be responsible, you wont become blind. Wash your hands carefully and dry before inserting and taking out the lenses. Don't just take them out any where and any time without washing your hands because your hands carry disgusting amounts of bacteria, and that in your eye will lead to fungal infection and will make you blind. Replace your monthlies on time and sometimes maybe earlier because towards the end, you will notice that your eyes start to itch after 3 hours of wearing (or less) and sometimes, inserting it is an issue because "it doesn't feel right" (you'll know what I mean once you start getting used to them). If any of that happens towards the end of the usage of your monthlies, change your lenses because protein builds up on it and that hurts.

Hope you enjoy your lenses is all I can say. This is first hand advice from a lens user (me) and my dad who is an eye doctor. The risk with them is less if you take care but they do give you a lot of satisfaction!

EDIT: Oh, I use yearlies, so for me, it isn't as bad as let's say monthlies or dailies!

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting contact lenses (monthlies) for the first time at the end of the month and I'd just like some information.

1. Are they uncomfortable when you first start using them/for sometime after you start using them?
    It will be, as you are putting something new in your eyes. You'll get used to it though.

2. I have long nails. Is this going to be a problem with putting them in and taking them out?
    Also yes. Contact lenses are very soft and nails can rip them / damage them. I've ripped a few when trying to get them out of my eyes, and my nails aren't even long!

3. How long can I leave them in for? If I get home drunk and fall asleep before taking them out am I in danger of damaging my eyes?
    Bad bad bad idea to leave them on when you sleep. I knew it anyway but I had to learn it the hard way...
    And you should build up your wearing time, I started out 6 hours max to get my eyes used to them (they hurt a lot when I first used it, as I had quite bad astigmatism), went up to 8, 10, and 12. I wore them for 16 hours once, not good. <-- Do not recommend! :tongue:

No I don't think so, as long as you clean them and look after them.

Thanks
    Make sure you have a little desk / table where you can sit down and put your contact lenses in comfortably, if you drop it whilst trying to put them in your eyes it might take a while to find it (or even lose it - again, learnt it the hard way!)

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    i've been wearing monthlies for over 3 years, so am able to answer all these queries...(i know loadsa ppl have but it's always good to get loads of opinions)

1. you do need to build them up as you start wearing them. i did this over 2 weeks and then proceeded to wear them from between 12-15 hours a day. however i wouldn't recommend more than 12 if you can help it. as you wear them you'll find out what's right for you. i also found them more uncomfortable when i had a slight astigmatism and wore them for a while, but i lost this when i lost my astigmatism.

2. longish nails are an issue - it's doable but risky and i would discourage having long nails when putting them in. i scratched my cornea putting them in once with my fingernails - this was extremely painful and i had to go get checked out at the hospital and stop wearing them for 2 weeks. it's also easier to get them in with shorter nails.

3. as i've said before you can have them in for quite a number of hours (well i do, probably against the advice of any optician) i had them in for 18 hours 2 weeks ago (end of school celebrations). wouldn't sleep in them tho - many a time i have been absolutely wrecked but always manage to get my lenses out and clean them, not well but it suffices. i've slept in my lenses when i've napped for an hour or so which doesn't do anything but feel a bit weird but do try to refrain from sleeping in them overnight. i did this once and woke up with them in some weird place above my eye or something - really worried me because they did not place themselves like they normally do right away. was quite scary and i'm sure not good for my eyes.

4. i don't think i've damaged my eyes by wearing contacts. would opticians have been offering them for so many years now if there were great risks of causing damage to your eyes??

oh and don't wash them over the sink - if you drop them they can quite easily go down the plug hole.
    hope you enjoy wearing contacts - gives you so much freedom at first that you really appreciate after years of glasses. have fun xxx

ReputationRep:

I noticed no discomfort at all when I started wearing them and managed to get them in+out first time no problem (not quite sure what all the fuss is about :cool:)
    I couldn't even tell I was wearing them, other than being able to see :p:
    (For reference I started on Monthlies)

Putting them in should be fine as you can put them in with your finger aligned flat across your eye. Taken them out will be harder, but you can always push your eyelids together to fold it up and then brush it out.

You shouldn't really sleep in them (except continuous wear) but other than that it depends on the lens. The optician will recommend you build up say 4,6,8,10 then 12 hours for the trial. Imo, I could've just worn them the full time straight away.

Now I'm wearing them about 14 hours a day on average (I get up at 10 or later so more more time in the day :p:) and my optician said it would be fine to say get up at 7 and put them in then keep them in till 3 in the morning of the next day, as long as I didn't do it day in day out.
    I've got extended wear lenses though, so it depends what you get.

Not really as long as you follow what the opticians say

I normally wear monthlies but I've got some dailies for when I'm holiday.
    I much prefer the monthlies but that could just be because I'm used to them. The dailies tend to rest slightly low due to my narrow eyes and seem less clear, though objectively my vision is just as good with either.

Other than that, go for it. I never bothered wearing my glasses except at the pc before and it's great being able to see again :p:

ReputationRep:

Thanks

When I first started to use them for about a week or so I found them slightly uncomfortable, but you gradually increase the number of hours you wear them for as you get used to then.Within a week or two though you barely notice they are there, the only time I would say they are a little uncomfortbale is probably if I'm on the computer as my eyes can get quite dry.

The long nails can cause problems mainly getting them out I found because of worrying that I would scratch my eye. Short nails are probably best at first but once you are used to it you should be fine with longer nails.

The time you can leave them in varies between the brands I think,when you go to the opticians they can recommend the right ones for you.On an average day I leave mine in for about 9ish hours, any longer and my eyes get a bit dry.It's definitely not recommended to sleep with your contact lenses in, although my friend has done it quite a few times without damaging her eyes, try not to get into a routine of doing it though as it can cause lasting damage to your eyes.

As for any other advice I would just say be patient when you are getting used to putting them in and getting them out as it can take a while at first.I have a bit of an eye phobia thing where I hate people touching or going near my eye and also have a problem touching my own eye.When practising in specsavers I think it took me half and hour to 40 minutes to get them in and out, I was really embarassed but the woman was really patient with me and helped talk me into doing it ha

ReputationRep:
    They'll be uncomfortable at first; I think it took me about two or three weeks to really get used to them. I have a slight astigmatism so they don't fully correct my vision, but I really was shocked at how well I could see when I first wore them. Even though I was originally going to wear them only a few times a week, I soon began wearing them every day because I couldn't stand not being able to see properly without them.

I have fairly long nails and I've always managed fine getting mine out. It's probably not the best health-wise, but I haven't been told by my optician that I have any problems with my eyes so far.

I've also fallen asleep in mine twice and, asides from being uncomfortable in the morning, this has never caused me any pain or damage as far as I'm aware.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Yeah I have to have torics, but I'm yet to find a pair for my prescription. -11 in total, with a -4 astigmatism (severe).
    Oh crickey, I can't remember my figures - but i'm currently using Acuvue Advanced for Astigmatism. I've never really been told how severe my astigmatism is, but considering how idiotic my eyes are, it wouldn't suprise me if it was quite bad!

ReputationRep:

Thanks

well, i hve been wearing contact lenses for a very long time.

1) its a bit uncomfortable for the first 4 or 5 days then it feels natural..u wont even realize they r there.

2) U SHOULD ALWAYS MAKE SURE THAT UR NAILS R SHORT B4 WEARING THEM coz u hve very high chance of tearing them since this is ur first time.

3) well, i hve slept wid my contacts on many times bt i wouldnt advise that..eyes becum red n the feeling which comes wid that..Jst dont sleep wid them on.

4) No they dont damage ur eyes as long as u use it properly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maquillage)
    Have you ever tried it?
    You are one very uninformed individual. Yes, enough to know your talking crap.

ReputationRep:
    Another one just occurred to me; do make-up before or after I have put lenses in?

Was putting my make-up on and realised that I have to open my eyes pretty wide to put mascara and eye liner on and was wondering if the lens would fall out but was also curious at to whether I would end up mascara-ing my lenses if I put them in beforehand.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.