Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Dear Members,

I received my transcript a few days ago. BSc (Hons) Applied Criminology with Psychology. Class: 2:2.

I'm happy of course but for some reason I feel its not 'great'. Anyway, easy question.

Do 'most' Masters courses allow progession onto the course with a 2:2. I don't plan on applying soon because I need to raise the funds and I'm still not quite sure what subject to pursue as I am at crossroads of what type of career/job to take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lifelongstudent)
    Dear Members,

I received my transcript a few days ago. BSc (Hons) Applied Criminology with Psychology. Class: 2:2.

I'm happy of course but for some reason I feel its not 'great'. Anyway, easy question.

Do 'most' Masters courses allow progession onto the course with a 2:2. I don't plan on applying soon because I need to raise the funds and I'm still not quite sure what subject to pursue as I am at crossroads of what type of career/job to take.
    From the advice on this subject that I've seen previously, doing a masters course to prop up a mediocre undergrad is a bad idea. Most decent unis (ones that you might have a chance of bolstering your acadmeic credentials with) will require a 2:i for postgrad positions.

ReputationRep:
    Chasing a MA or MSc would be out of pure interest, as well as to tip me over other applicants if possible, job search wise, and no more. 1st is godly, 2:1 is above average, 2:2 is standard. 3rd is bad, in my opinion.

Oh and I'm not after grad jobs. graduating was just a life long ambition.

ReputationRep:
    Consensus on these boards (whatever that's worth) seems to be that de facto admissions requirements are heavily dependent on fairly unpredictable factors such as number of applicants, etc.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    As Kevin says, really. In principle 'most' Masters courses will only take graduates with a 2.1...in practice, give it a go, particularly if it's a high 2.2 and an unpopular course. The only thing that near-as definitely goes out the window with a 2.2 is funding.

ReputationRep:
    I should have also said that I do not plan on applying to the top 50 unis for Masters which all ask for 2:1 no doubt. A average uni will do. Example: Canterbury christ church university ask for 2:2 ect. 2:2 is the bare minimum.

p.s Funding was never an option as I rather pay for it myself. Student loan was enough and a bank loan is a no no in this contemporary economical climate.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Lifelongstudent)
    I should have also said that I do not plan on applying to the top 50 unis for Masters which all ask for 2:1 no doubt. A average uni will do. Example: Canterbury christ church university ask for 2:2 ect. 2:2 is the bare minimum.

p.s Funding was never an option as I rather pay for it myself. Student loan was enough and a bank loan is a no no in this contemporary economical climate.
    By 'funding' I mean a scholarship/grant

And yep, it sounds like you're being realistic in your applications so definitely, give it a go. I would suggest that you pitch in a few 'minimum 2.1' applications if there are courses you really like, since great references and statements can make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you meant by 'funding'.

I've decided that if I do follow a post grad course it will have to be a course that will lead to a qualified so ns o status. E.G Primary PGCE: QTS, MA social workocial worker ect.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Absolutely give it a go with some that ask for 2.1, especially if you get good refs. But a word of warning; because there's a recession and all graduates are scared they won't get a job, applications have rocketted this year, Nottingham's the only one I personally know for sure and the number of postgrad apps went up 48% in just one year.

This increases competition for sure, but it also makes admissions tutors more cautions of people who don't seem that dedicated, if you can use your personal statement to show that you're really fascinated and absolutely love the subject then that would probably help you more than it would in other years.

ReputationRep:
    Certainly scary times. Especially with BBC reporting 40 000! students won't get a place for Bachelors. Unless its a moral panic.

I've decided to chase a Primary PGCE course.

Thanks for advice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.