Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    From a lowest common multiple standpoint (I assume):

A ship is at anchor between two lighthouses, L and H. The light from L shines on the ship every 30 seconds, the light from H shines on the ship every 40 seconds. How often do both lights shine on the ship at once, what assumption did you make?

Answer and explanation?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Do you have any thoughts on this yourself? I'd prefer it if you did it rather than us giving you the answer...

ReputationRep:
    LCM =120

So every 2 minutes both lights will shine once on the same object.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I have the answer, 120 seconds, and I realise the method required, hence mentioning LCM, I'm just totally confuzzled as I think I'm over-thinking it. Sorry to sound like I just want an answer, it's the thinking that I need lol.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't get why it should be the LCM - what quality of the LCM means that the light beams must meet? I realise this is a low-level question but I am just blocked...This happens a lot :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by T-Dog)
    Oh I have the answer, 120 seconds, and I realise the method required, hence mentioning LCM, I'm just totally confuzzled as I think I'm over-thinking it. Sorry to sound like I just want an answer, it's the thinking that I need lol.
    Well, the lcm of 30 and 40 is 120. That is, 120 is the smallest number that's a multiple of 30 (so if L shines on the ship every 30 seconds, it will shine after 120 seconds) and a multiple of 40 (so if H shines every 40 seconds, it will shine after 120 seconds).

Do you know what assumptions you made?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve2005)
    LCM =120

So every 2 minutes both lights will shine once on the same object.
    Thanks Steve: I get that, but WHY is it that the LCM means that?

ReputationRep:
    Assumption:

Spoiler:
    Show
    They both shine at the same time to start with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Well, the lcm of 30 and 40 is 120. That is, 120 is the smallest number that's a multiple of 30 (so if L shines on the ship every 30 seconds, it will shine after 120 seconds) and a multiple of 40 (so if H shines every 40 seconds, it will shine after 120 seconds).

Do you know what assumptions you made?
    Well I can see why they shouldn't meet at all :rolleyes: So I guess the opposite of that...Length of shine...Pathway...I just can't get my head around why things should change :mad:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by T-Dog)
    Well I can see why they shouldn't meet at all :rolleyes: So I guess the opposite of that...Length of shine...Pathway...I just can't get my head around why things should change :mad:
    I don't quite understand what you're on about. Can you explain more clearly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    I don't quite understand what you're on about. Can you explain more clearly?
    Sorry. Whilst I can take in abstract the LCM 'calculation' that leads from 30 and 40 to 120, I can't apply that to this specific example in my head and see why the light beams should suddenly meet at all...Quite possibly because I am very stuuuuuuuuuuuupid.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by T-Dog)
    Sorry. Whilst I can take in abstract the LCM 'calculation' that leads from 30 and 40 to 120, I can't apply that to this specific example in my head and see why the light beams should suddenly meet at all...Quite possibly because I am very stuuuuuuuuuuuupid.
    Ok. Let's focus on the first lighthouse for a while, and let's start our 'stopwatch' when it first shines on the ship, so at t = 0 seconds. Then it next shines on the ship after 30 seconds. Then again after 60 seconds. Then again after 90 seconds. Do you see that:

a) the light shines on the ship after every multiple of 30 seconds,
    b) the light never shines on the ship if it hasn't been a multiple of 30 seconds?

That is, the first lighthouse shines on the ship if and only if it's been a multiple of 30 seconds. Similarly, the second lighthouse shines on the ship if and only if it's been a multiple of 40 seconds. Let's assume for a second that they both shine on the ship at t = 0; then when do they next shine on the ship? We need to look for a number that's both a multiple of 30 (for the first lighthouse to shine on it) and a multiple of 40 (for the second lighthouse to shine on it). There are loads of these, but 120 is the smallest one - the clue's in the name, "lowest common multiple".

Now, as for why they should shine on the ship at all: well, the first lighthouse shines on the ship after 0, 30, 60, 90, 120, 150 etc. seconds, and the second shines on the ship after 0, 40, 80, 120, 160 etc. seconds. Do you see that they both hit the ship after 120 seconds?

The assumption we made was, of course, that they both shone on the ship at the same time in the first place. If they were one second out, they'd never meet.

ReputationRep:
    I guess I was over-thinking and under-thinking all at the same time. Your explanation is most appreciated, thank you. (And others)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.