Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying to get "toned" and reading threads in the fitness section but I keep seeing conflicting advice, abbreviations I don't understand and general confusion so I thought maybe if I started a thread people could explain nicely? :p:

So I'm going to the gym 3 maybe 4 times a week, going on the treadmill at 5.5 mph (I think it's mph...) for most the time with sprinting on it for short bursts too for 30mins. By then I'm pretty tired. I do 10minutes cycling to warm up. Sometimes I do maybe 10/15mins rowing, and a 20 reps (with break after 10) at 70kg (yeah I know it's not much but I can't lift too much more) on a machine that works your stomach. I've so far managed to lose a little weight on my stomach and generally looking ok, I'm not overweight, I just want to look "toned" and hot basically

Am I doing the right things, what would you recommend I do? I know I'm probably not doing enough bike and rowing so I could increase that, I'm not sure if I'm doing the running right. I don't want to end up too muscley so I'm wary of using the weight machines too much. I'm totally new to this any advice would be really appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I don't want to end up too muscley so I'm wary of using the weight machines too much. I'm totally new to this any advice would be really appreciated.
    Please don't worry about getting 'too' muscley!

If it was that easy to put on big muscles, a lot of guys on here would be a lot happier, haha!

If you're a lady who's not eating steak every day and pumping yourself with testosterone, all weights will do is burn fat and get you stronger (but not bigger).

Have fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GazzyG)
    Please don't worry about getting 'too' muscley!

If it was that easy to put on big muscles, a lot of guys on here would be a lot happier, haha!

If you're a lady who's not eating steak every day and pumping yourself with testosterone, all weights will do is burn fat and get you stronger (but not bigger).

Have fun.
    heh ok, I'll take a look at the weight machines, some of them look so bloody complicated though, maybe some guy at gym can help me work them. :p:

Am I not meant to be eating steak? I have beef maybe 3 times a week.

ReputationRep:
    heh ok, I'll take a look at the weight machines, some of them look so bloody complicated though, maybe some guy at gym can help me work them. :p:

Am I not meant to be eating steak? I have beef maybe 3 times a week.
    lol, no, eating beef's fine!

I was just exagerrating, hehe.

Keep munching the beef, it's good for you! :top:

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying to get "toned" and reading threads in the fitness section but I keep seeing conflicting advice, abbreviations I don't understand and general confusion so I thought maybe if I started a thread people could explain nicely? :p:

So I'm going to the gym 3 maybe 4 times a week, going on the treadmill at 5.5 mph (I think it's mph...) for most the time with sprinting on it for short bursts too for 30mins. By then I'm pretty tired. I do 10minutes cycling to warm up. Sometimes I do maybe 10/15mins rowing, and a 20 reps (with break after 10) at 70kg (yeah I know it's not much but I can't lift too much more) on a machine that works your stomach. I've so far managed to lose a little weight on my stomach and generally looking ok, I'm not overweight, I just want to look "toned" and hot basically

Am I doing the right things, what would you recommend I do? I know I'm probably not doing enough bike and rowing so I could increase that, I'm not sure if I'm doing the running right. I don't want to end up too muscley so I'm wary of using the weight machines too much. I'm totally new to this any advice would be really appreciated.
    Being toned is having a high muscle mass to low body fat ratio, so you;ve got no choice I'm afraid.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.