Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm looking to apply for Warwick as one of my choices for uni for 2010 entry. It's a long way off yet but I think reckon I will put it as my firm choice if/when I get an offer.

For those who do the course, what is it like? Everything from lectures, the difficulty of the work, the course structure, and the social life of Warwick itself. Thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    Wow broad question lol. Well first of all have a look here

Ok, well in first year you have five modules, four compulsory and one option which you can have basically anything you want for. Most people do a language or something from the business school. Core modules: micro, macro, econ history/theory, and a quantative element which is maths, stats and data analysis. You have about 12, 14 ish hours of lectures a week, and a couple of seminars too. Difficulty depends on how clever you are :P Also on what lecturers you get in some circumstances. Our first year micro lecturer was appalling but last year's one was apparently really good lol.

Second year is three core modules and one option, and third year is one core module (which is a research project on the subject of your choice) and three options.

Warning: here be lots of maths. Obviously I wouldn't know, having only done one degree lol, but apparently no other uni outside LSE puts so much emphasis on the quantative rather than the qualitative. If you would prefer theory over logic problems and statistics, you might be better looking at a BA elsewhere. If you're fairly handy with a calculator you'd probably be ok. Most of us manage in the end lol.

Social life question could probably be answered in the general Warwick forum. Campus unis aren't for everyone but if you want to live in a smaller town-like community rather than a buzzing city you might like it Come up and see it on an open day. The union has just been rebuilt and will be (supposedly) opening in 2010 so hopefully there'll be some nightlife lol. Personally I loved living in halls and made amazing friends there, but really it's what you make of it, and some people are put off by living in a 'bubble'.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, LSE's Microecon 2 cannot even compare with micro here. Macro is also very quant. Econometrics 2 is good and Topics in Econ Theory (discontinued from next year) were arguably next level amongst the third year modules.

The course is challenging, and hence has a good rep. Teaching quality isnt great, apart from a few lectureres who are stellar. Some of the seminar tutors are great as well. Though I would say that for most modules, the lectures are not relevant for the exams, which count towards 80pct of of your degree.

Excellent job prospects, - easily on par with LSE. Networking though is a bit hard because of the distance from the City.

In terms of Masters, a first in Economics will be a ticket to Oxbridge, as we have seen from this year and before.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.