Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I'm an international student and I wish to study medicine in the UK after IB. My question is what are my chances at getting in? and which universities would I have a good chance of getting into with an IB total of about 38?
    I know the question is quite vague, so if you want me to clear anything up, I'll be happy to.
    Some of the universities I'm aiming for are Kings, Imperial and UCL.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Pretty good since Universities tend to need international students since you'll be paying triple or whatever the international price was plus housing lol

ReputationRep:
    lol i guess, but then why do some unis take much less international students? i think UCL only take 24 for medicine???

ReputationRep:
    Well i know the universities can only take an "X" amount of intl students. I think its the gov't who put a specific limit on how many intl students the uni can take for medicine.

Med school IB requirements are here

ReputationRep:
    Not to sound pessimistic, but I've seen a LOT of very strong students get rejected from medicine in the UK. However, this is not to say that you shouldn't apply for it.

I'm an international in an IB school as well, and many of the people who've been rejected from medicine ended up getting 39-45 points (one actually got 45). The problem with medicine in the UK is that the NHS covers a huge amount of costs for each medical student - much larger than the amount each individual pays for his education. As a result, accepting international students means that the NHS is investing in people who might end up going back to their own country to practice their profession, making universities reluctant to accept international students.

By all means apply for medicine because you could very well be accepted, but definitely have a backup plan - apply to one or two universities for other courses. Some courses are such that if you get accepted you can still do medicine in the future, but it's just a longer route to take. My sister applied for Biomedical Sciences because she wasn't sure if she wanted to do medicine or not, and wanted to keep her options open.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taigan)
    lol i guess, but then why do some unis take much less international students? i think UCL only take 24 for medicine???
    I think that's about standard. It's all to do with the cost of the degree.

ReputationRep:
    For some reason, the figure 7.5% comes to mind - I think that's the proportion of medical school intake that can be international (not inc EU)

ReputationRep:
    Your parents must have loads of $$$.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Your parents must have loads of $$$.
    Imagine 6 years at Imperial plus accommodation and general living costs for an International :headfire:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyferret)
    Imagine 6 years at Imperial plus accommodation and general living costs for an International :headfire:
    I simply must calculate now:

Tuition:
    £25,000 for Y 1,2,3
    £37,300 for Y 4,5,6

Which gives: £186,900

Accommodation, average of 130 a week, 33 weeks a year, for 6 years

Which gives: £25,740

General living costs at, being generous, £35 a week average, 33 weeks a year, for 6 years

Which gives: £6,930

Totaling... £186,900 + £25,740 + £6,930 = £219,570

And remember, the pound is a strong currency... so students abroad will probably pay loads more in the local currency. I can now understand why all international student places are filled at university.

ReputationRep:
    £219,570
    :eek3: Insane!

I seem to remember you can't get a loan either, but have to prove you are able to pay from private funds before they will allow you to start?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taigan)
    Hey guys. I'm an international student and I wish to study medicine in the UK after IB. My question is what are my chances at getting in? and which universities would I have a good chance of getting into with an IB total of about 38?
    I know the question is quite vague, so if you want me to clear anything up, I'll be happy to.
    Some of the universities I'm aiming for are Kings, Imperial and UCL.
    Thanks
    will you be paying int fees?
    if so, as long as you have the grades you stand a high chance of getting in.
    esp st andrews. the med schools want your monies

ReputationRep:
    Finance isn't too much of a problem, thankfully. Hopefully I'll get the grades...

ReputationRep:
    £219,570
    Cheaper than the cost of the degree...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Cheaper than the cost of the degree...
    I can now see why they don't like drop-outs... :p:

ReputationRep:
    I really hope that the currency can drop lol......

ReputationRep:
    as long as you do the necessary subjects, Chemistry HL and another Science Hl, as well as obtaining the overall grade and sub-scores, you should get a chance at the interview. from the interview onwards, its all up to how your perform.

38 points sounds just enough for an interview at those 3 london unis you mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your help guys.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.