Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so i think i just did something really stupid and got scammed.
    Well i was looking a for a room for next year and saw this ad on the student accomodation site:

Category: housemates
    City: Brighton
    Area: Moulsecoomb
    Subject: Looking for three housemates.10 mins walk from Uni of Brighton,Lewes Rd.All bills incl.Available now

Looking for 3 friendly reliable, tidy, student housemates.

House is located in a quiet residential area, 10 minutes walk from University of Brighton, Moulsecoomb campus, near Lewes Road.

One large room £357 pcm
    Two single rooms £335 pcm

Fully furnished rooms and all bills inclusive. Internet and free parking is also available.

The rooms are available now. Thank you for reading and please contact me if you are interested.

So i replied and said i was interested. I got an email back like a week later asking if i wanted to see that house and that i needed to give a holding deposit to secure the room. I saw the house everything looked fine so i went back home and later decided i wanted to secure the room. She replied back saying to secure the house i had to transfer the money to an account, but i said i wanted to give out the cash up front which i find out later is even more stuuupiiid :rolleyes: also she gave me a contract to look at in the email, also i was able to choose when the contract started....
    Soo i then said it was fine and wanted to meet up to sign the contract and to give the deposit, she didnt reply to her email for a few days so i texted her instead and was able to come last Wednesday. We met, i signed the contract, it looked ok at the time, and gave the deposit in cash :facepalm: i got a reciept but it was only until now that i think ive made a big mistake:

the reciept has no bloody name on it, just a signature.
    the contract only has the landlord's surname, no first name, and a Mr but at that time of signing i thought it was her relative who owned the house or something, oh god why did i not even ask who the landlord was and i didnt even ask for her ID :facepalm:
    she couldnt give the keys yet cos she had to make a copy of them...:wtf:
    and also ive been trying to contact her today on phone but no reply

im so pissed off with myself right now, and should thought about it carefully before doing anything rash :facepalm:

so scam or not? :puppyeyes: i hope im wrong :redface: and sorry for the long post, prob my longest post ever on tsr lol
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by eugenius 8)
    Ok so i think i just did something really stupid and got scammed.
    Well i was looking a for a room for next year and saw this ad on the student accomodation site:

Category: housemates
    City: Brighton
    Area: Moulsecoomb
    Subject: Looking for three housemates.10 mins walk from Uni of Brighton,Lewes Rd.All bills incl.Available now

Looking for 3 friendly reliable, tidy, student housemates.

House is located in a quiet residential area, 10 minutes walk from University of Brighton, Moulsecoomb campus, near Lewes Road.

One large room £357 pcm
    Two single rooms £335 pcm

Fully furnished rooms and all bills inclusive. Internet and free parking is also available.

The rooms are available now. Thank you for reading and please contact me if you are interested.

So i replied and said i was interested. I got an email back like a week later asking if i wanted to see that house and that i needed to give a holding deposit to secure the room. I saw the house everything looked fine so i went back home and later decided i wanted to secure the room. She replied back saying to secure the house i had to transfer the money to an account, but i said i wanted to give out the cash up front which i find out later is even more stuuupiiid :rolleyes: also she gave me a contract to look at in the email, also i was able to choose when the contract started....
    Soo i then said it was fine and wanted to meet up to sign the contract and to give the deposit, she didnt reply to her email for a few days so i texted her instead and was able to come last Wednesday. We met, i signed the contract, it looked ok at the time, and gave the deposit in cash :facepalm: i got a reciept but it was only until now that i think ive made a big mistake:

the reciept has no bloody name on it, just a signature.
    the contract only has the landlord's surname, no first name, and a Mr but at that time of signing i thought it was her relative who owned the house or something, oh god why did i not even ask who the landlord was and i didnt even ask for her ID :facepalm:
    she couldnt give the keys yet cos she had to make a copy of them...:wtf:
    and also ive been trying to contact her today on phone but no reply

im so pissed off with myself right now, and should thought about it carefully before doing anything rash :facepalm:

so scam or not? :puppyeyes: i hope im wrong :redface: and sorry for the long post, prob my longest post ever on tsr lol
    Give it 48 hours- and if nothing happens contact the police...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, give her a bit more time and take it from there.

ReputationRep:
    I really hope it's not a scam, it does still have time to come together. But at least you know where the property is so if the worst comes to the worst you can just camp outside the door until she lets you in.

Also do you know if the girls goes to your uni?

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't look like a scam to me tbh, most of the rental scams want you to pay money upfront via a bank transfer or something, before showing you the room and giving some stupid reason for that - e.g. "my mum has got cancer and I need to go to Scotland every weekend to look after her but I'm gonna send you the keys as soon as the money arrives on my account" or something (I personally had this very scam happening to me a number of times) :rolleyes:

It would be pretty stupid of them to scam you now when you've seen them. It doesn't look like a scam, some people rent semi-legally, I've been living in houses without a contract for some time when I was poor and had no job, and it's OK, so don't worry, give it some time before you send hell on them. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Did they give you any information like a contact number for the landlord? Or is it just this girls mobile number, if you don't even have a number for the landlord, the girl isn't answering her phone and you don't have any keys, it's probably safe to assume you won't see that cash again.

I feel really sorry for you if that turns out to be the case, it's a really easy scam to fall for and pretty hard to catch, you'll probably find the owner of the house has no idea or affiliation with the people doing it, scumbags.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner_dancer)
    Give it 48 hours- and if nothing happens contact the police...
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Yes, give her a bit more time and take it from there.
    yeh ok, im gonna go to the house first before doing anything to see if theyre actually in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    Doesn't look like a scam to me tbh, most of the rental scams want you to pay money upfront via a bank transfer or something, before showing you the room and giving some stupid reason for that - e.g. "my mum has got cancer and I need to go to Scotland every weekend to look after her but I'm gonna send you the keys as soon as the money arrives on my account" or something (I personally had this very scam happening to me a number of times) :rolleyes:

It would be pretty stupid of them to scam you now when you've seen them. It doesn't look like a scam, some people rent semi-legally, I've been living in houses without a contract for some time when I was poor and had no job, and it's OK, so don't worry, give it some time before you send hell on them. :yep:
    Not all scams as as blatant as that. They did exactly what the OP is describing in the show 'The Real Hustle'. They took deposits on a flat from several people, signed a fake receipt and just bailed with the cash. People show their face all the time when scamming people. You're unlikely to ever see them again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    I really hope it's not a scam, it does still have time to come together. But at least you know where the property is so if the worst comes to the worst you can just camp outside the door until she lets you in.

Also do you know if the girls goes to your uni?
    what if she doesnt even own the house lol :tongue:

she mentioned one of them going to a nearby uni and has stayed for 3 years...but i didnt meet her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)

yeh maybe im just coming to conslusions too quicky :redface:

yeh my dad said some people do that so it saves paying tax and stuff :dontknow:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    yeh ok, im gonna go to the house first before doing anything to see if theyre actually in
    Try and find out if anybody else has taken on the offer? You should also be weary in case the 'landlord' was providing a fake name...

ReputationRep:
    wait a few days - but if it is a scam - thats really unlucky -

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leemkule)
    Did they give you any information like a contact number for the landlord? Or is it just this girls mobile number, if you don't even have a number for the landlord, the girl isn't answering her phone and you don't have any keys, it's probably safe to assume you won't see that cash again.

I feel really sorry for you if that turns out to be the case, it's a really easy scam to fall for and pretty hard to catch, you'll probably find the owner of the house has no idea or affiliation with the people doing it, scumbags.
    aw no i dont just her number and email yeh i should have thought of it more carefully, was in a bit of a rush :redface: well if this is a scam, at least i know i have to be smarter next time and not do it again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner_dancer)
    Try and find out if anybody else has taken on the offer? You should also be weary in case the 'landlord' was providing a fake name...
    ah yes good point, they were a few replys for that ad, gonna ask them

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replies everyone yeh im gonna give a few days and see what happens

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replies everyone yeh im gonna give a few days and see what happens
    Let us know how you get on.

ReputationRep:
    aw no i dont just her number and email yeh i should have thought of it more carefully, was in a bit of a rush :redface: well if this is a scam, at least i know i have to be smarter next time and not do it again
    Hm, just had a look at the place it was advertised, did you pay a deposit on the large room or just a single?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    Let us know how you get on.
    cheers, i will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leemkule)
    Hm, just had a look at the place it was advertised, did you pay a deposit on the large room or just a single?
    the large room, but it had a single bed..so £357

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.